October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Successors 3d PBEM. Time to sheeet or de-pot....

More
05 Apr 2010 17:24 #58929 by lj1983
I like 23.5

and I'm changing my e-mail for this. Gmail's "conversations" freaking suck when you have 3 people you are sending e-mails too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2010 18:38 #58935 by Not Sure
I'm reading the rules now. Anything in particular I should be watching out for? (assuming I have a basic knowledge of CDGs...)

Dogmatix has my ACTS info from the F:AT Here I Stand game (Luther where are you... ?), so go ahead and set it up. I have the VASSAL mod (2.2) from the first page of the thread as well.

I should be ready to go when the game is set up, unless I end up drawing the first-player general, then I might "um-um-um" for a bit. I should be through the rules and hopefully the example of play tonight. Let's get illegitimate!

More
05 Apr 2010 19:00 #58941 by Schweig!
The rules are very straightforward. One major difference to HIS is that you can't split the OPs, you have to spend them all for one type of action. Another thing is that you can't leave units behind when avoiding battle.

The 2nd edition rules clearly state that supply cannot be traced through a non-friendly space with enemy CUs in it, but the 3rd edition doesn't, so we went with 2nd edition there last game.

Make sure to snatch as many neutral major city spaces as possible at the beginning of the game.

More
05 Apr 2010 23:09 #58958 by Not Sure
Thanks for the advice. Done reading rules, on to Example of Play. I'll need to stare at the map a bit to see where the VPs are, but I'm good to go any time.

The rulebook I got from GMT's site has this to say about isolation (p. 15):

THE PATH CAN enter any space with a friendly control marker or a Neutral space. (plus some stuff about how to trace paths)

THE PATH CANNOT enter a space containing an Enemy or Independent control marker unless a friendly CU is present in that space.
Note that enemy CUs have no effect on tracing the path.

It seems that tracing the path through a Neutral space occupied by Enemy CUs should be valid, but *not* an occupied or unoccupied Enemy or Independent one (unless they're your units doing the occupying.) I don't really know how often this is going to come up, or if we're actually discussing exactly the same thing. Seems like every case is covered there, the biggest implication I can see is that you can't cut off areas by parking armies on transit points, since they'll always be Neutral.

More
06 Apr 2010 00:53 #58963 by Dogmatix
Not Sure wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Done reading rules, on to Example of Play. I'll need to stare at the map a bit to see where the VPs are, but I'm good to go any time.

The rulebook I got from GMT's site has this to say about isolation (p. 15):

THE PATH CAN enter any space with a friendly control marker or a Neutral space. (plus some stuff about how to trace paths)

THE PATH CANNOT enter a space containing an Enemy or Independent control marker unless a friendly CU is present in that space.
Note that enemy CUs have no effect on tracing the path.

It seems that tracing the path through a Neutral space occupied by Enemy CUs should be valid, but *not* an occupied or unoccupied Enemy or Independent one (unless they're your units doing the occupying.) I don't really know how often this is going to come up, or if we're actually discussing exactly the same thing. Seems like every case is covered there, the biggest implication I can see is that you can't cut off areas by parking armies on transit points, since they'll always be Neutral.

I tend to consider Successors to be very much an area control wargame more than a combat type of wargame One thing is that the board gets crowded by PCs but not by CUs in a bloody hurry and, much like drafting Kickers and Defenses in Fantasy Football, losing champion status tends to happen in a quick run. Combat is very much an all or nothing affair, so it's not something to take lightly.

The game we just played was more combat heavy than most Successors games I've played and, not surprisingly, those who involved themselves most in active bloodshet lost the game (by a lot). Unhappy King Charles is like this too in my eyes--save for the fact that Successors, unlike UKC, is actually fun to play ;-) )

More
06 Apr 2010 00:56 #58964 by Dogmatix
Schweig! wrote:

lj1983 wrote:

I'll play again. I had fun, despite seemingly screwing up a rule everytime my turn came around.

That's what I'm here for. ;)

Paul, just tell us when you're ready.

Justin, can you set up a new game like last time? Shall we play with optional rule 23.5 again?

I'll get the game set-up right now...And Simon, that's why I'm inclined to send you a copy of the Aide De Camp II module for L2's Streets of Stalingrad. I figure the only way I'll truly learn the rules of that behemoth is to play it with a Teutonic Rules Lawyer. ;)

More
06 Apr 2010 06:01 - 06 Apr 2010 06:04 #58971 by Schweig!
Dogmatix wrote:

The game we just played was more combat heavy than most Successors games I've played and, not surprisingly, those who involved themselves most in active bloodshet lost the game (by a lot). Unhappy King Charles is like this too in my eyes--save for the fact that Successors, unlike UKC, is actually fun to play ;-) )

Hmm, that wasn't the case ... I guess a little bit of boasting is in order: I took Thrace and Bithynia from Pete and Hellespontine from John, after they attacked me and lost Champion status. ;) I then spent the rest of the game killing independent armies, subjugating Greece and Rhodes. The only "bloodshed" you others were involved in was the battle for Alexander's body and really only Pete eliminated himself there.

Dogmatix wrote:

I'll get the game set-up right now...And Simon, that's why I'm inclined to send you a copy of the Aide De Camp II module for L2's Streets of Stalingrad. I figure the only way I'll truly learn the rules of that behemoth is to play it with a Teutonic Rules Lawyer. ;)

Hmm ... why not? I got the game myself, but not the module.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2010 06:04 by Schweig!.

More
06 Apr 2010 08:09 #58976 by lj1983
I did have to kick Pete a couple times until he cried "uncle"

More
06 Apr 2010 10:29 #58982 by Dogmatix
Schweig! wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:

Hmm, that wasn't the case ... I guess a little bit of boasting is in order: I took Thrace and Bithynia from Pete and Hellespontine from John, after they attacked me and lost Champion status. ;) I then spent the rest of the game killing independent armies, subjugating Greece and Rhodes. The only "bloodshed" you others were involved in was the battle for Alexander's body and really only Pete eliminated himself there.

Dogmatix wrote:

Hmm ... why not? I got the game myself, but not the module.

The battle for the body, though, knocked half my forces off the map for much of a turn and did the same to John and Pete. Losing that ability to expand/hold turf hurts more so in this game than many others (IMO). You certainly had a sound expansion strategy. I should have sent Ptolemy into Greece at the start of the last turn rather than Babylon, but my cards sucked and I didn't really grasp the bigger picture until it was too late into that turn.

More
13 Apr 2010 17:00 #59642 by Gary Sax
You guys still playing this? I'd love to give it a try. I don't own it but as long as one of you guys does... I can read the rules online, no?

More
13 Apr 2010 20:19 #59669 by hacksword
Gary Sax wrote:

You guys still playing this? I'd love to give it a try. I don't own it but as long as one of you guys does... I can read the rules online, no?

Yep, the rules are available at GMT's page for the game: Successors . I'd be up for another game.

More
13 Apr 2010 21:02 #59674 by Not Sure
I cut in front of some angry Kiwi with a cane to get into this game, but he was trying to find his reading glasses anyway.

That might be three players for another game.

The rules aren't bad at all, I got about 80% of them in a quick reading, and was ready to play the next day.

(oh, it's my turn. I guess I should quit fooling around...)

More
13 Apr 2010 21:48 #59677 by Gary Sax
I'm not worried about the rules. I'm pretty rules unflappable at this point. Let me know if there is a crew for a full game, I'd be interested. Otherwise I can wait.

More
13 Dec 2010 19:10 #81981 by Schweig!
Thread Necro!

F:AT Game Three about to start.

Currently three people are interested in playing: dogmatix, Southernman, dan daly

I would join in as 4th unless someone else wants to.

More
14 Dec 2010 08:41 #82019 by southernman
I'm off for some afternoon and then some evening gaming so I won't be checking the rules and Vassal and ACTS out until at least tomorrow (Wed), but I'm sure there's no rush to kick off.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds