October 09, 2023
2720 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2880 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Ghost Stories VS Witch Of Salem

More
04 Oct 2010 16:20 #75872 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2010 21:29 #75900 by wkover
Ghost Stories is the hardest coop game I know. Witch of Salem is green.

Vote: Ghost Stories

More
05 Oct 2010 08:45 #75926 by Sagrilarus
Ghost Stories is also the most interesting co-op game. The card draws don't seem to dominate the storyline as much as the other things going on on the board. I finally got to break my copy out after having it collect dust since Christmas.

More
05 Oct 2010 09:10 #75929 by SuperflyPete
Witch of Salem is not qualified to vacuum the fuzz off of Ghost Stories' jockstrap. No comparison.

Witch of Salem may be one of the worst games I've ever played 4 times....and even if you get rid of the "Don't Share Info" portion of the game, it's still fucking garbage. Only the art saves this game from being a total failure.

Ghost Stories FTW.

More
05 Oct 2010 09:23 #75932 by Josh Look
Vote: Ghost Stories.

Witch of Salem is a turd.

More
05 Oct 2010 09:34 #75934 by Matt Thrower
I actually thought Witch of Salem was pretty good and I'm the only gamer in the universe who actually liked the "don't share information" mechanic: I thought it was at least an inventive stab at trying to stop alpha-player syndrome.

I'm also slightly more down on Ghost Stories than most of you. I still find the random nature of Wu-Feng irksome and there are times when play choice can become defined by rote.

However the bottom line is that I suspect Witch of Salem has a much, much lower replay value than Ghost Stories with it's huge interlocking web of potential variables. So I'll vote Ghost Stories.

Sorry, Witch of Salem, but if even I won't vote for you here, you don't stand a chance.

More
05 Oct 2010 09:46 #75935 by Rliyen

More
05 Oct 2010 10:44 #75939 by Bulwyf
Ghost Stories is one of the best games to come from the '08 Essen crowd. Hard as nails, highly replayable and deceptively deep. Those folks who whine that it's too hard or random are folks I don't want to be gaming with. Everyone who plays remembers the first time they beat Wu Feng as a "Hell yeah!" high-fiving moment. If that's not the definition of gaming awesomeness in your book then you're dead in the pants.

Witch of Salem... Who cares?

-Will

vote: Ghost Stories

More
05 Oct 2010 13:01 #75947 by hotseatgames
I've never played Witch of Salem, but I venture that it has no chance of giving me more enjoyment than Ghost Stories has, and I've only played it once! It was the best co-op board game experience I've had yet.

More
05 Oct 2010 13:21 #75950 by Aarontu
Never played Ghost Stories, but I have played Witch of Salem. (what a piece of crap!)

More
05 Oct 2010 13:42 #75956 by tomvasel
I can't even see how this is a contest. Does ANYONE like Witch of Salem better than Ghost Stories?

I predict this one will be unanimous.

More
05 Oct 2010 17:47 #75996 by DeletedUser
tomvasel wrote:

I predict this one will be unanimous.

Cue mjl...

More
05 Oct 2010 19:14 #76003 by SuperflyPete
tomvasel wrote:

I can't even see how this is a contest. Does ANYONE like Witch of Salem better than Ghost Stories?

Tom, but I suspect you could've left off the "better than Ghost Stories" part of that sentence and likely would've have gotten the same response. I tried to love it, hell I tried to even tolerate it, but to no avail. HP Lovecraft is rolling in his grave.

More
05 Oct 2010 22:05 #76014 by Stormcow
Didn't you call it "a decent time if you like co-op euros" in the Halloween thread?

More
06 Oct 2010 03:00 #76032 by mads b.
Ghost Stories. It's a tremendously fun game, quick to set up, quick to get beaten by, and it just looks beautiful.

Never played the Salem game, but when I read that one of the objects you have to fight the bad guy with are enchanted glasses of Harry Potter-ness, I immediately lost all interest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds