October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Patrick Stewart to Star in new Trek show!

More
04 Aug 2018 18:49 #279204 by ChristopherMD
Jean-Luc Picard returns leading a new Star Trek show. Never expected this.

deadline.com/2018/08/patrick-stewart-sta...cess-1202440156/amp/

Hopefully its not dark, gritty shit and post-Dominion War instead of timeline foolery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2018 19:01 #279206 by Josh Look
So excited.

More
04 Aug 2018 19:03 #279207 by Motorik
On the one hand, cool. On the other hand, it's being produced by Kurtzman, a consummate hack of the highest order, so this is kind of like if, I dunno, Stephanie Meyer wrote a sequel to Wuthering Heights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
04 Aug 2018 19:10 #279208 by Michael Barnes
Unbelievable. I have nothing negative whatsoever to say about this. I kind of hope it is just about Picard’s daily life of being awesome, kind, and wise.

More
04 Aug 2018 19:20 #279210 by Gary Sax
How many of these have actually worked? Honest question. I love TNG deeply. I just don't see these revisits 30 years later working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons

More
04 Aug 2018 19:40 #279215 by repoman
Well I suppose Discovery was too unique for some. Too dark. Too original. Hey I ain't saying it was perfect. There were some real crap episodes but after the mid season break they really pulled their act together and made a pretty fantastic show overall.

Now, we get a show with all the daring of a night at Grampa and Grandma's house. Smell of bengay included free of charge. Stewart is what? 90 years old? Oh wait, just looked it up. He's 78. Hey maybe they'll make something decent of it. I as a lover of Star Trek hope so but it just smells....tired.

The ONLY way that it would be great is if they revived the idea of following the adventures of a class of students working their way through Star Fleet Academy (an idea dating back to before Star Trek the Motion Picture) and have Picard be the Dumbledore of space. Now that would be awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
04 Aug 2018 19:40 #279216 by ChristopherMD

Gary Sax wrote: How many of these have actually worked? Honest question. I love TNG deeply. I just don't see these revisits 30 years later working.

Ash vs Evil Dead was awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, Josh Look, Colorcrayons, Mantidman, Motorik

More
04 Aug 2018 19:48 #279217 by Sagrilarus
Jonathan Frakes guest stars in the first episode,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Aug 2018 20:02 #279219 by BillyBobThwarton
Patrick Stewart still has it. I really enjoyed his recent work on Blunt Talk. Very excited.

More
04 Aug 2018 20:09 #279220 by Black Barney
so this was news a month or two ago. I've been VERY cautious about this, not because I'm cynical or anything like that.

But because Patrick Stewart and Cpt. Picard was by far the hero and role-model of my teenage years (which were no picnic). The man and character mean a great deal to me. He's probably the only celebrity that I would just melt if I saw him. I saw Frakes once in a high end men's clothing store and got an autograph (I don't think I actually said anything, he saw me holding a NCC-1701-D Technical Manual and took a double take and said, "...what's that you're holding? My... isn't this a coincidence?" He introduced me to his actress wife who i didn't know at all, and signed "go boldly!" and addressed it to me, so I imagine i must have mumbled my name at the very least.

But Picard is a whole other beast.

I'm worried about this cuz it could be so incredible, he's a talented actor so i can't even fathom HIM being bad. I'm sure he'll be great cuz even in bad Star Trek movie, he's still always good. I hope he has creative input.

I also worry that it will only be available on some platform I don't have and it will be THE KILLER APP for that platform since I would have to acquire it immediately.

Cautiously excited. Cautiously trying to not have a heart attack.

....i still can't enjoy Earl Grey tea tho, no matter how hard I try
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
04 Aug 2018 20:42 #279222 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: ....i still can't enjoy Earl Grey tea tho, no matter how hard I try

A very common drink of Frenchmen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, GorillaGrody

More
05 Aug 2018 08:12 #279228 by repoman

Black Barney wrote: I saw Frakes once in a high end men's clothing store and got an autograph (I don't think I actually said anything, he saw me holding a NCC-1701-D Technical Manual and took a double take and said, "...what's that you're holding? My... isn't this a coincidence?" He introduced me to his actress wife who i didn't know at all, and signed "go boldly!" and addressed it to me, so I imagine i must have mumbled my name at the very least.

Now that is a great story and confirms that Frakes, as a human being, is just a super nice dude.

Unfortunately I have to call FAKE NEWS on the whole business because there is no chance Barney would ever be allowed into a high end men's clothing store. Salvation Army Store perhaps but high end? No way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
05 Aug 2018 10:28 #279236 by Black Barney
Lol, good catch. As a high school student, i wasn't there to shop. I was hanging out with my good friend who's dad owned the store. I still don't know if me being there was intentionally made to happen cuz they both knew i was a big Trekker.

In seeing vids on Stewart talking about this, i'm amazed to see so much of my own situation in his stories which i selfishly assumed was unique to me. Stewart talks about he is continuously approached by people thanking him and The Next Generation for being a light when things went dark.

Repo, i love your idea of 'Cadets' type show. One of the coolest episodes of tNG is, 'Lower Decks' about how a bunch of junior officers are existing on the ship. The senior officers seem opposing and intimidating (even though we know them). I think any kind of show around non-decision makers could be really interesting but much harder to write for

More
05 Aug 2018 17:11 #279256 by repoman
Yah, Lower Decks was one of the best episodes of Next Gen, no doubt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
21 Aug 2018 14:04 #280118 by Black Barney
So last night I really started to think that this thing is going to be good. Last night there were two tNG episodes back to back. The one where Luxwana befriends Aleksander in the mud-bath ("Are we just supposed to SIT HERE?") and then the one where the metamorph, Kamala, bonds with Picard and becomes the perfect mate (I think she was played by Jean Grey too). So i had no intention to stay up for that second episode since it's just a romance-like episode and who needs that. I start watching it and quickly fall into it simple because of two people, Jean-Luc Picard and Patrick Stewart. The character is so interesting and the actor is so talented that anything they touch becomes gold.

If they can make that nothing of an episode impossible to turn off, I think the new star trek property has some real chances. I really hope we get it up here in Canada on the Space network because it's the first show in decades where I'm planning to not miss the pilot.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds