October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Reviews for games that are pretty OK?

More
24 Jun 2009 15:50 - 24 Jun 2009 15:53 #32959 by Aarontu
OK, so I've been trying to think of something I can do for an article or something (I'd love to help support the fort in any way), but all I can think of is reviews for old, obscure, or print and play games that I think are either just pretty good or not very good at all. Probably not the kind of articles F:ATties are looking for? Front page reviews seem to be about either games people are really excited about and wondering how good they are or obscure or old games that happen to be awesome. Maybe I could stick them in the forums or make a blog entry out of them?

Anyone want to read about a dead CCG that turns out to be pretty OK, in the circumstances? :P
Last edit: 24 Jun 2009 15:53 by Aarontu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 16:02 #32961 by Michael Barnes
It's fine to write about "OK" games as long as you're doing it from the heart and you have something to say about them.

It's kind of why I do those "Review Rodeo" things...it's sort of a clearinghouse for the games that I have something to say about but I don't have an extreme opinion either way.

More
24 Jun 2009 16:34 #32967 by Shellhead
Yeah, bring it on. Just don't rate them all sevens.

More
24 Jun 2009 17:13 #32972 by Aarontu
OK cool. I do really dig some of these games in a weird kind of way, even though they can be convoluted and clunky and I know they aren't going to be everybody's thing.

More
24 Jun 2009 17:23 #32973 by metalface13
Aarontu wrote:

OK, so I've been trying to think of something I can do for an article or something (I'd love to help support the fort in any way), but all I can think of is reviews for old, obscure, or print and play games that I think are either just pretty good or not very good at all. Probably not the kind of articles F:ATties are looking for? Front page reviews seem to be about either games people are really excited about and wondering how good they are or obscure or old games that happen to be awesome. Maybe I could stick them in the forums or make a blog entry out of them?

Anyone want to read about a dead CCG that turns out to be pretty OK, in the circumstances? :P

I think reviews of print and play games would be great, let us know if they're worth the effort and all.

Another good idea for an article would be by somebody who does a lot of printin' and playin', letting us know the best way to go about it without - either cheaply or getting it done right and proper.

More
24 Jun 2009 17:28 #32975 by Michael Barnes
I am ALL FOR any reviews of PNP, small press, DIY stuff. The majors are floundering around looking for the next big thing, and the underground has probably already found it.

More
25 Jun 2009 02:17 #32993 by southernman
Michael Barnes wrote:

I am ALL FOR any reviews of PNP, small press, DIY stuff. The majors are floundering around looking for the next big thing, and the underground has probably already found it.

Has anyone tried the Dune Express that gets the odd mention at BGG and Adrian linked to the download site a few weeks ago. I downloaded some of the files but wouldn't mind knowing if it's a load of crap before I make an effort to print it out (my excuse for not reviewing it is I have very few gaming opportunities these days that it may be months before I'd get to play it).

More
25 Jun 2009 11:39 #33021 by Almalik
I'm all for any reviews/session reports of dead CCGs!

More
25 Jun 2009 12:59 #33025 by KingPut
Southernman wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Has anyone tried the Dune Express that gets the odd mention at BGG and Adrian linked to the download site a few weeks ago. I downloaded some of the files but wouldn't mind knowing if it's a load of crap before I make an effort to print it out (my excuse for not reviewing it is I have very few gaming opportunities these days that it may be months before I'd get to play it).

We played two games of Dune Express last week. I think we played with 5 players (maybe it was 6 I can't remmember). The first game took about 2 turns and 10 minutes. The 2nd game took about 8 turns and took about 40 minutes (but it over stayed its welcome by about 10 minutes). To win the game you need to take over 3 territories so in the first game we were clueless and let somebody win pretty easily. Other games could go on longer as people work to knock a player down so they can't take over 3 areas.

Personally, I thought it wasn't bad compared to the other Express games like Risk Express. It works as a nice filler game. But don't expect anything great.

More
25 Jun 2009 15:50 #33046 by southernman
KingPut wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

We played two games of Dune Express last week. I think we played with 5 players (maybe it was 6 I can't remmember). The first game took about 2 turns and 10 minutes. The 2nd game took about 8 turns and took about 40 minutes (but it over stayed its welcome by about 10 minutes). To win the game you need to take over 3 territories so in the first game we were clueless and let somebody win pretty easily. Other games could go on longer as people work to knock a player down so they can't take over 3 areas.

Personally, I thought it wasn't bad compared to the other Express games like Risk Express. It works as a nice filler game. But don't expect anything great.

Cheers Admiral. Played Risk Express a few times and it's OK at the end of the night to have a laugh at who can get the worst rolls - so good to hear Dune Ex offers a wee bit more.

More
25 Jun 2009 18:10 #33060 by mjl1783

Another good idea for an article would be by somebody who does a lot of printin' and playin', letting us know the best way to go about it without - either cheaply or getting it done right and proper.

Would you guys rather see an article on doing it cheaply, or doing it well? I'm getting pretty good at doing it both ways, but not both ways at the same time.

More
25 Jun 2009 19:22 #33066 by metalface13
mjl1783 wrote:

Would you guys rather see an article on doing it cheaply, or doing it well? I'm getting pretty good at doing it both ways, but not both ways at the same time.

I'd like an article on both. Cheap so I can check out a game, doing it well if I like a PnP game and want a nice copy or to make a version of an OOP game.

More
25 Jun 2009 19:26 #33067 by mjl1783
I can maybe do that. Another thing I like to do is pimp out some of these older, flimsier hex-and-counter type games that I have so they'll be more palatable to the spoiled-rotten bastards in my group. I'm working on a deluxe Gunslinger right now.

More
25 Jun 2009 19:41 #33069 by dragonstout
mjl1783 wrote:

I can maybe do that. Another thing I like to do is pimp out some of these older, flimsier hex-and-counter type games that I have so they'll be more palatable to the spoiled-rotten bastards in my group. I'm working on a deluxe Gunslinger right now.

Sounds like a great article, which games?

More
26 Jun 2009 00:29 #33076 by metalface13
dragonstout wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Sounds like a great article, which games?

Just to be clear, I think the articles would work best in generalities rather than how to do Game Z.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds