Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GF9 has the Dune license.

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 07:50 #279824

GorillaGrody wrote:
When I returned into the hobby, I was amazed to learn how many people outside of my small group hated Dune. Its wedding of mechanism and narrative was the reason why, I think; it just makes 'em uncomfortable. A lot of gamers would rather just roll a die, draw a card, read it, and passively 'member 'bout how "fear is the mind killer" and "the spice must flow".

That would explain why F:AT was a niche site. Too many gamers who can't handle direct interaction in a game. They started with Candyland and eventually found Settlers of Catan, but they would piss themselves in an intense game of Ca$h 'n Gun$.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3558
Last Edit: 15 Aug 2018 07:51 by Shellhead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 08:32 #279825

GorillaGrody wrote:
PS. By the way, off topic, can anyone explain to me the appeal of Star Trek: Ascendancy? It's just get yr points, build paths to nowhere, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight. For 6 hours. How is this a better Star Trek game than Fleet Captains or Frontier?

I love it because I'm a fan of long strategic games (like, say, Here I Stand, to cite a thread example...) and it's positively dripping with Trek theme. I've even gotten non-wargamers to play it with the ability for both the Federation and the Ferengi to win the game handily without firing a shot. It's a broad game, so you're not getting much Kirk, Spock, or Picard, if that's what tickles your ST fancy, but I really enjoy it.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1335
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, ChristopherMD

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 08:38 #279826

Maybe GF9 will just re-theme Sons of Anarchy again. Instead of bikers or dungeon delvers, it will be Fremen and Harkonens and the rest fighting over various locations so they can use the special abilities. Then there will be a spice market phase at the end of each turn.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3558

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 08:57 #279830

BaronDonut wrote:
And even though it's not amazing, I sure do have a soft spot for WWE Showdown.

You just reminded me I STILL have not forgiven those fuckers for not giving us 2-4 wrestlers more (at minimum.) I mean...six? Fuck. For fuck's sake.

There are people who don't like the original Dune board game; if you know someone like that, cut them loose, you don't need that sort of negativity in your life.
  • Ken B.
  • Big Dog
  • By Request Only
  • Thank you received: 720
I understand and appreciate your contributions
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, cranberries, Da Bid Dabid, Colorcrayons, BaronDonut

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 08:58 #279831

Jackwraith wrote:
I've even gotten non-wargamers to play it with the ability for both the Federation and the Ferengi to win the game handily without firing a shot.

This is all I ever heard about the game, which is why I picked it up. But the two times I played the Federation, all I ever did was rinse-and-repeat fighting with the Klingons. It's like you're describing a different game. It's too late now, but can you tell me what I was doing wrong?
  • GorillaGrody
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 213

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 09:22 #279832

I'm excited to see the Dune license picked up by a game company. I love the Eon Dune, but I hardly think that's the only way you could make a good game out of the source material. A COIN game or something similar to Root are both great starting points, just to name some recent stuff.
  • Gregarius
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 743

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 11:11 #279841

I'm wary of licensed stuff to begin with, and as much as I like the novel and the Lynch movie, this is just a big zero to me. What do you do with this other than "we are leaders of the great houses scheming for control"? And of those, who do you want to be? They're all awful. That's sort of the point. What makes Dune interesting are things that won't translate well to board games, and it's pretty clear what we're going to get instead: yet more plastic soldiers fighting. Dune is a world in which there really isn't any room to fit in a character who isn't one of the major players, and the major players' roles are pretty well scripted out. The only thing there is to do with that has pretty much been done.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 2329

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 11:21 #279842

I like GF9.

I like Dune.

What’s not to get?
  • Josh Look
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1543
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 15 Aug 2018 15:11 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 11:23 #279843

GorillaGrody wrote:
This is all I ever heard about the game, which is why I picked it up. But the two times I played the Federation, all I ever did was rinse-and-repeat fighting with the Klingons. It's like you're describing a different game. It's too late now, but can you tell me what I was doing wrong?

I hesitate to say you were doing anything wrong, but if all you were doing was fighting the Klingons, does that mean you were doing 2-player? Because that's really unfortunate, since 2-player in a game like that sucks. If the Klingons were aggressively expanding, the Romulans (or other races) should have been able to kick the legs out from under them, especially since the Romulans can basically go toe-to-toe with them, militarily, as can the Cardassians, if you had that expansion.

Appropriately, the key to the game is expansion, which in the Federation's case means exploration. But expansion has to be on your terms. The map is malleable. If you can keep systems out of reach of the Klingon player's warp paths, do so. If he can't reach you, he can't fight you. If he has to go through multiple systems, some of which may be phenomena, and spend a ton of actions or turns warping to pick a fight, those are turns you should be spending by expanding your influence and getting so far ahead of him in ascendancy that losing that grand battle won't really matter. Also, be sure you start with enough space between players so that your map can be malleable in the first place. (Table) Size matters! As with most of the races, technology advances can be key. With the Federation advantage in studying phenomena, you should be racking up a healthy total of Research tokens, most of which help your mobility and your defense. But don't neglect basic things like shields. It gets expensive but, again, you should have the Research edge, so take advantage of it. If you build up your shields a couple steps, a lot of the fire from the Klingons should be doused and he really won't be able to keep up the arms race with you (see: Praxis.)
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1335

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 11:41 #279846

I think a War of the Ring / Star Wars Rebellion board game treatment of Dune could work. Or at least something similarly epic. I don't want Dune: The Dice Game.
  • ChristopherMD
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 2130
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 12:17 #279849

GorillaGrody wrote:
PS. By the way, off topic, can anyone explain to me the appeal of Star Trek: Ascendancy? It's just get yr points, build paths to nowhere, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight. For 6 hours. How is this a better Star Trek game than Fleet Captains or Frontier?

What Jackwraith said. We definitely knew we were playing a Star Trek game.

It can also end up like my game this past weekend.

New Player 1: This is fun! I'm ordering it tonight!
New Player 2: This is fun! I 'm not buying it because I have two friends that now own it.
New Player 3: This sucked. I'd rather eat dirt than sit around with my thumb up my ass for six hours because I got shitty draws.

Like Eclipse, a player needs to be mentally prepared to get hosed on the first few turns. My diplomacy skills aren't so great that I can talk my way into a win.
  • RobertB
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 524
Last Edit: 15 Aug 2018 12:19 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

GF9 has the Dune license. 15 Aug 2018 18:26 #279859

Gregarius wrote:
I'm excited to see the Dune license picked up by a game company. I love the Eon Dune, but I hardly think that's the only way you could make a good game out of the source material. A COIN game or something similar to Root are both great starting points, just to name some recent stuff.

They should hire Cole Wehrle. I'm ready to order the new, very thematic Pax Pamir.
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Wait, are you sure?
  • Thank you received: 1497
Moderators: ChristopherMD
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds