October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Cowboy Bebop Boardgame Boogie

More
28 Mar 2019 09:36 #294663 by ubarose
Travel the Solar System!  Fly between the Astral Gates, visiting...

3…  2…  1…  Let’s Game!  Choose your favorite member of the Bebop crew and take on their role and carry their weight as their space adventure unfolds!

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2019 12:35 #294664 by ubarose
I might have to put this on my birthday wish list.

More
28 Mar 2019 13:48 #294670 by Ska_baron
Better come with the soundtrack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
28 Mar 2019 13:58 #294671 by Shellhead
Even though I love Firefly and Cowboy Bebop is essentially the original version of Firefly, I never liked Cowboy Bebop. I just didn't like the characters, especially the weird one. Except that I really liked the one episode that focused on the weird one. That said, the Cowboy Bebop theme song is fantastic.

More
28 Mar 2019 14:00 #294673 by hotseatgames
Josh demoed this for me last Origins. The cards all have art from the show, and you get to track down all sorts of bounties from the show. The part I liked the most was the personal stories; each character has to achieve something unique to them.

It's been a year since I've played it, but it hit all the notes you might expect of a Bebop game. You'll have to supply your own Seatbelts music. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Mar 2019 14:09 #294675 by ubarose
@hotseatgames

I'm good to go then. I have a couple of Seatbelts CDs.

More
28 Mar 2019 14:47 #294680 by DarthJoJo
Tentatively interested, but has Jasco ever published anything good? Didn’t they do that abysmal Mega Man game?

More
28 Mar 2019 15:29 #294686 by fightcitymayor

DarthJoJo wrote: Tentatively interested, but has Jasco ever published anything good? Didn’t they do that abysmal Mega Man game?

Exactly why I hold out little hope for this game. Although Lynnvander also did the Buffy boardgame, not sure if that fact is encouraging or discouraging.
Also, the release date has been pushed back multiple times now. From early 2018, to GenCon 2018, to March 2019, now to August 2019.

More
28 Mar 2019 16:35 #294694 by Virabhadra
I kept reading "The Seatbelts" and thinking y'all meant "The Pillows." Different anime.

@DarthJojo: we could say the same thing of USAopoly, who gave us Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle out of nowhere. Cowboy Bebop is a cool IP, so we're at least in 'high expectations, low hopes' territory.

More
28 Mar 2019 16:40 #294695 by Josh Look
This was for sale all the way back in November at PAX Unplugged. I debated on it a bit too long and it sold out. Why it isn’t out now is because Jasco seems to be kind of a mess.

More
28 Mar 2019 16:43 #294696 by Vysetron
If you told me that a company called "Everything Epic" was going to make a legitimately good Big Trouble in Little China game I wouldn't have believed you, but that exists. There's always a chance. Cautious optimism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
28 Mar 2019 17:50 #294702 by DarthJoJo

Anjou Valentine wrote: @DarthJojo: we could say the same thing of USAopoly, who gave us Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle out of nowhere. Cowboy Bebop is a cool IP, so we're at least in 'high expectations, low hopes' territory.

At the risk of derailing this thread, Hogwarts Battle was a mixed bag. Some clever ideas, pretty great production but really needed about two months more development to iron out the game itself. My wife really liked it, but I traded and replaced it with the old TCG.

I’ll go along with high expectations, low hopes, though.

More
06 Sep 2019 14:51 - 06 Sep 2019 14:56 #301511 by ubarose
We have played Cowboy Bebop Boardgame Boogie twice now. Once was a 3-person flail through, where we screwed up some rules. Once as a four player game. I feel like I still need to play it a few more times to make a final decision on it, however, after two plays, I will say it is surprisingly good.

It seems to share a bit of DNA with Knizia's Lord of the Rings, having a similar mechanic of discarding cards that represent skills or qualities, individually or as a group, to overcome obstacles or achieve objectives, creating a tension/trade-off between personal goals and the well being of the group as a whole.

It also seems to share a bit with Battlestar Galactica, having events (like crisis cards) forcing you to lose resources, and giving you choices between discarding cards from your hand or losing resources from the group's pool of food, money and fuel. Again that tension between what is good for you vs what is good for the group.

It has this neat thing where you collect leads (cards) as a group and then use them to create melds which allow you to locate bounties. Having played a lot of Arkham Horror where clues are just another resource to be spent, it was cool to have "clues" that had in-game meaning that came together to direct the action.

Despite being somewhat abstract, it manages to be evocative and capture the essence of the show, especially feelings of desperation and of living on the edge - there is real concern when food and fuel stores are running low, as you can all starve to death, or get yourselves stranded and then starve to death.

The art is better than expected from Jasco.

Right now my main concern is that the four player game seemed a bit too easy. I don't know if that is just because we were lucky with how the cards came out, if we got a rule wrong, or if it is actually that easy. We will have to play a few more times to determine that. Also there are spoilers in the game, so it probably shouldn't be played by people who haven't watched the show but intend to do so.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2019 14:56 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
06 Sep 2019 15:02 - 06 Sep 2019 15:05 #301512 by DarthJoJo
There’s original art by Jasco? I assumed it would all just be screenshots.

And thanks for the write up. It’s unlikely I’ll get it as I already have too many games that need first plays, but I’m glad to hear it’s a solid piece. Now, where’s my Kids on the Slope game?
Last edit: 06 Sep 2019 15:05 by DarthJoJo.

More
06 Sep 2019 15:14 #301514 by charlest
Thanks for sharing Uba. I love Cowboy Bebop and really enjoyed Josh's other work, but I was wary of this one based on snippets I've read in various places. Going to check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds