Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews

Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: knizia)

31 May 2014 11:00
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Category: Eurogames

I have more Knizia games in my collection than any other designer. My favourites are Battle Line (not sure how this is much more complex than ST), Medici, Ra, Winner's Choice, T&E, Ivanhoe, and LotR Confrontation. He's also got about a half dozen more I think are pretty good like Wheedle and Scarab Lords.

I see a lot of folks commented on Traumfabrik/Hollywood Blockbuster/Dream Factory being one of his best, I played it and wasn't really impressed with it (played it with 5), could someone expand on what they like in that game?

I traded Modern Art recently, I just never wanted to play it, I'd always rather play Medici. I'm thinking of trading Through the Desert, because I have both Samarkand (the new one from Queen) and Kingdom Builder and I think I like both better. Not sure If I'm into Colossal Arena either.
31 May 2014 09:22
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

i've played T&E, Modern Art and Through the Desert.

I liked T&E quite a bit, it felt like a very refined conflict game to me and in a weird way its abstract nature lends itself to its theme.

Modern Art i thought was tight but difficult to play well.

Through the Desert didn't do much for me. Probably because i actually like Go and felt that this just didn't cut the mustard in comparison.
31 May 2014 08:20
Replied by Pug on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

I love Modern Art as well, but I hate teaching it. It's a very simple game at heart, but explaining how it works has always been a pain for some reason. If we're ever 5 players at a table, I always suggest it, and after a game or two, people usually warm up to it.

I always really love Lord of The Rings: Confrontation and have probably played over 50-60 games in the past few months. It's portable, a breeze to teach, and just pure fun. I love to experiment with starting positions and push my luck. I'll never get rid of it.
30 May 2014 20:34
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Michael Barnes wrote: LOTR: The Confrontation is one of the best two player games ever made. Sure, it's Stratego...but it's so refined and the LOTR setting really comes through. It really feels like the Fellowship player is trying to screen Frodo and engage the Shadow. Mirror plays like both a hunt and a crushing military campaign. I love the deluxe edition, the extra characters add a lot of variety without fouling the balance.

Kingdoms/Auf Heller und Pfennig is another good one.

I'm sorry "Sure, it's Stratego... but" don't you mean, "hell yeah it's like Stratego!"? Stratego is the best mass market classic, bar none, and LOTR The Confrontation Deluxe is the best Knizia game.
30 May 2014 19:29
Replied by phandec on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

T&E and Battleline are amazing. I really enjoy Poison, though not with 3 players.

Most of the rest I've never played, though I own a few of them. I'm trying to decide whether or not to acquire a copy of Samurai that I have a trade offer for.

I'd like to give Ra a shot one of these days, too.
30 May 2014 14:42
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Oh, I forgot about Carcassonne: The Castle. It's the only Carc I still have, and I really dig it.

LOTR: The Confrontation is definitely a case where the theme killed it for me. If it had been something else, I might be able to pay attention to all the units and their special powers. But there is no way to make me give a damn about hobbits and shit.
30 May 2014 14:13
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Knizia games I still own. The first three are on my forever shelf. The first two are in my top five favorite games.

Tigris & Euphrates
Ra
LotR The Confrontation
Fabrik der Traume
Medici
Through the Desert
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel
Circus Flohcati
Blue Moon legends
Carcassone the Castle

I like a lot of his games, but to me nothing has stood out from him in the past decade. All his best designs are his older ones.
30 May 2014 13:43
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

LOTR: The Confrontation is one of the best two player games ever made. Sure, it's Stratego...but it's so refined and the LOTR setting really comes through. It really feels like the Fellowship player is trying to screen Frodo and engage the Shadow. Mirror plays like both a hunt and a crushing military campaign. I love the deluxe edition, the extra characters add a lot of variety without fouling the balance.

Kingdoms/Auf Heller und Pfennig is another good one.
30 May 2014 13:33
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Man, I love Knizia! In fact, I actually played Medici just last night. (I lost, as usual, despite leading the first two rounds. I underbid a crucial late offering because I thought no one would challenge me for it.)

The classics have all been mentioned, but I'll add a few more to the list:

Amun-Re - I don't understand why this one isn't more respected. I think it's a fantastic design. The mid-game property reset is brilliant.

Traumfabrik - A closed-economy auction game. It was reprinted as Dream Factory, but you really should make the effort to get the original German edition.

Lego mentioned Quandary (which I have and love as well), but the game has been published many times in different forms (Loco, Botswana). It's such a minimal design, yet totally effective.

Loot is another game that's usually targeted at children due to its simplicity, but is actually quite good for adults. Can usually be found dirt cheap at Target, too.
30 May 2014 12:56
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Knizia has a ton of games that everyone loves, most people own, and hardly anyone plays. At various times I've owned Samurai, Through the Desert, Rheinlander, and a few others, but nowadays the only one still on my shelf (because it gets plays) is T&E. Oh wait, I have Quandary there, but it doesn't come out much, as it's the gorgeous overproduced bakelite version that isn't worth toting around. I do have Poison and Battle Line, but only because they're small card games; the never get played. Lost Cities is one my wife likes (and I do too) so its stayed on the 2p shelf after Times Square and others have left.

I haven't played too many Knizias I just flat out don't like (well, I wasn't crazy about LoTR, either one) but there are few that I find myself hankering to play. I respect a lot of them more than I want to play them.
30 May 2014 12:53
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Modern Art is a design I admire more than I enjoy. It's maybe his most interactive game, but at least three of my five or six games went completely pear-shaped based on inexperienced players. I'm willing to say it's a great design more than I'm willing to play it again.
30 May 2014 12:49
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

DRAGONLAND is a good time. Roll and move game with set collection. It's a kids game, but it's a good one.

How the world managed to make SuperflyTNT is beyond me: loves STONE AGE and hates TIGRIS & EUPHRATES. That's just wrong. Play T&E, it's a classic and deservedly so. I know the guy finally won the SdJ for his Teris game or whatever the fuck, but this was his best design.

SCHOTTEN-TOTTEN is the shit. BATTLELINE is complicated for little gain. You can play SHOTTEN-TOTTEN with a RAGE deck, along with a zillion other games (LOST CITIES, EN GARDE, &c). Get one of those, they are like $5 at Target.

MODERN ART is the best auction game, bar none. Game fucking rocks.

I like LORD OF THE RINGS and everyone has hated on me for that in the past. Are you talking the co-op game or the STRATEGO game? I like the co-op game, but everyone goes nuts for that STRATEGO one.
30 May 2014 12:21
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

I'll throw Amazing Flea Circus in for anyone with kids. Has Kinizia's flair, in a simple game with great looking little critters. Played this one plenty with my four kids.

S.
30 May 2014 11:53
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

It's not worse than any other Frazetta/Vallejo style fantasy art. And it's really just that one faction. The rest are like, bird people and fire people and stuff. I just got the Legends set yesterday, it's definitely worth having.

Rheinlander is good, it's sort of an Acquire-style game but instead of plots placed on a grid, they're on a linear track. I'd like to get a copy of this again. It was actually a Hasbro game over in Europe.

Dragonland I haven't played in a long time but I liked it. Something to do with gathering dragon eggs out of volcanoes and there's a cool dice tower involved. I should get this one again too.

Formula Motor Sport is a fun race game, very simple and easy to play. We used to play with Richard Launius' modified set, which inculded Micro Machines, two sets of cards, and some additional rules.

Pretty much all of the "marquee" Knizia games are stone classics. Some of the lesser known/less reputable titles are negligible, but some are really good. But the core ludography is all great:

Tigris & Euphrates
Samurai
Medici
Ra
Modern Art
Lord of the Rings
Through the Desert
Battleline/Schotten-Totten (one of the most influential games ever, BTW)
Taj Mahal
Lost Cities
Blue Moon

But then those really good ones like Ivanhoe, Rheinlander, Beowulf, Money, Amun-Re and so forth are really just below that tier.

Then there's Clash of the Gladiators...such a strange game. I might pick it up again, I'm curious.
30 May 2014 11:44
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Some Knizia Games

Looks like a mix of German and US cards? Are those in both? Also, I'm guessing these are characters from the same faction. If so, it would seem to be possible to just not include this faction as a choice during play and all would be fine.
Displaying 181 - 195 out of 263 results.
Time to create page: 1.097 seconds