October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

New shit at the store.

More
06 Oct 2008 04:19 #12456 by Mr Skeletor
The local store got the following games in, help me decide if I should purchase or not...

Rail Road Tycoon
International edition with the italian board. $66. I'll probably never play it since I don't really dig trains. Still I'm mildly tempted. I did play this once and thought it wasn't bad.

Heroscape booster set 8. $50. This is the 4 HS wave 8 boosters. Never play the game but hey, I got the other 7 sets, and $50 is half price.

A touch of evil
Not on special but just came in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2008 07:46 - 06 Oct 2008 07:47 #12459 by southernman
Interested to hear about A Touch of Evil as well. Opinions already seem black and white on this - 'amazing game' or 'no game in either co-op or competitive' ... seems if you like Arkham Horror for the depth/variety and Last Night on Earth for some snappy & fun gameplay, then this may stink as it tries both but fails (lacks depth and balance for multiple players and drags on as you fight to finish it).

It's at a decent price online over here, although it's just cards and counters so I wouldn't expect to pay too much for it. But I already have Arkham and Betrayal at House on the Hill and another guy in the group has LNoE, so should I be getting it or spending the same price on Dunwich expansion instead ?
Last edit: 06 Oct 2008 07:47 by southernman.

More
06 Oct 2008 10:48 #12467 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:New shit at the store.
There's a lot of talk about A Touch of Evil in the "Empty Tomb" thread on the main page.

The consensus there seems to be pretty positive.

More
06 Oct 2008 12:16 #12472 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:New shit at the store.
$66 Aussie dollars? That's $50US--I'd buy it in a heartbeat. RAILROAD TYCOON is on my wish list and that's a good price.

For whatever reason, I have almost no desire for LAST NIGHT ON EARTH or A TOUCH OF EVIL. I've got ARKHAM HORROR all tricked out, and the next horror game I want is FURY OF DRACULA.

As for HEROSCAPE, I've got RISE OF THE VALKYRIE and MARVEL, and that's it. There's plenty of game in there for me.

More
06 Oct 2008 12:38 #12473 by Space Ghost
Touch of Evil is pretty cool -- I have enjoyed the solo version quite a bit. It is like a "light" version of Arkham Horror as far as mechanics are concerned, but the theme is nicely different. I would recommend it over the train game, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing HeroScape so I can't speak to that.

Southerman --

Personally, I would give the nod to Dunwich Horror over ToE, especially if you or your group really likes Arkham. It ratchets up the difficulty some and adds a lot of variety.

More
06 Oct 2008 22:29 #12529 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:New shit at the store.
In my very limited experience with it, Railroad Tycoon = Age of Steam with the fun surgically reinserted. It's possibly the only economics-type game other than Acquire designed to allow people other than actuaries, accountants, and idiot-savant COBOL programmers to have a visibile/identifiable good time while playing.

Heroscape. If you don't play...why?

Touch of Evil...wish I could give you a better take on it but my box arrived a few days ago and was just being set up to play....and then a box with Starcraft and Corps Command: Totensonntag [a fine trade] arrived the next day and ToE got put on hold.

More
06 Oct 2008 22:35 #12530 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:New shit at the store.
Justin, that copy of Railroad Tycoon you're sending me, I put that on my wantlist because of your review and recommendation.

You'd better be right!

;))

Seriously, I wanted a train game, and Railroad Tycoon looks like the one made with AT gamers in mind. Why else have plastic bits just to represent empty cities? That's the lavish AT treatment, baby.

More
06 Oct 2008 23:17 #12534 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:New shit at the store.
Yea well, you're going to find out for yourself by Friday as I'm going to be FedExing this massive-ass box your way, probably 2-day shipping [yay enormous company shipping discounts] tomorrow. [Fortunately for both of us, some kind soul I traded with recently seriously over-packed a box and sent some very small game in a box big enough to fit this brick of a game you're about to get--now all I need to do is to find one more to fit this copy of Samurai Swords I've got to ship off this week]

Ken B. wrote:

Justin, that copy of Railroad Tycoon you're sending me, I put that on my wantlist because of your review and recommendation.

You'd better be right!

;))

Seriously, I wanted a train game, and Railroad Tycoon looks like the one made with AT gamers in mind. Why else have plastic bits just to represent empty cities? That's the lavish AT treatment, baby.

More
07 Oct 2008 11:02 #12571 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:New shit at the store.
Sounds awesome, Justin. I think I'm planning this to be the big Christmas game this year with the extended family. I'm hoping enough of the hardcore unforgiveness that Age of Steam purports to have has been stripped out so that "normal" folks can enjoy it.

My 7 (soon 8) year old is going to eat this up, just from the train perspective. He loves trains. Don't know if he can handle a game like this yet, but we'll see. If nothing else we can play teams.

More
07 Oct 2008 15:46 #12596 by LilRed
Replied by LilRed on topic Re:New shit at the store.
I would go for the heroscape, I have never played it or bought it but the rest seems like a waste of cash to me, I would opt to wait and buy a great FFG game (when they actually do come out)

Trains games are a big no no, since you said you don't like them.

A touch of evil has yet to entice me, I seriously cant get excited about it, in beginning I was totally "meh" about it then i got a lil excited as it promised to be an Arkham horror lite. Now I'm back to "meh" cos of that initial feeling and the information and reviews.

More
07 Oct 2008 16:49 #12607 by Mr Skeletor
Interest rates dropped by double what people were expecting yesterday meaning the Aussie economy is heading for fuckedville.
Therefore I did the only responsible thing to do and brought all 3 before they became unaffordable.

More
07 Oct 2008 21:42 #12631 by metalface13
Haha. That's the spirit!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds