October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Android - will this be an expansion-heavy game?

More
25 Nov 2008 14:57 #14354 by ChristopherMD
Is this going to be another FFG game with several expansions a year or is it a stand-alone or possibly single-expansion game? I realize the answer probably isn't available yet but should anyone come across it I'd like to know as it will affect my decision to purchase or not.

To clarify, I'm not against expansion-heavy games but I already own a few and my wallet couldn't handle more. Sure I could just buy the base game of something and not any expansions, but lets be realistic here and admit that its unlikely I wouldn't want at least the first FFG expansion for any of their games.

Now I'm off to look into ordering Black Goat of the Woods to complete, for now, my Arkham Horror set. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2008 15:13 #14355 by Bullwinkle
Mad Dog wrote:

...FFG game...

Surely you have answered your own question already.

More
25 Nov 2008 15:25 #14357 by Harkonnen13
With good sales expansions are probably inevitable. I'm all for it (assuming it's a good game) despite the cost since good science fiction games are few and far between. We've gotten a couple good new ones recently but SF is still kind of a gaming stepchild.

More
25 Nov 2008 15:26 #14358 by KevinW
Actually, it will be fairly light on expansions.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

More
25 Nov 2008 15:28 #14359 by ChristopherMD
KevinW wrote:

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Thanks for the reply. :)

More
25 Nov 2008 15:52 - 25 Nov 2008 15:56 #14363 by Mr. White
The FFG game I'm most looking forward to is CE and was hoping there wouldn't be a bunch of expansions. Looks like there's going to be at least one...

And my final kick at Age of Conan...if A&A, Samurai Swords, etc can ship with a complete game map, why can't we get all of Hyboria out of the box and all armies involved? This is another reason I'm going to pass. It sounds like it's going to be pricey, but only half the nations. Rumor is a later expansion will have the other half.

Anyway, since Kevin's poking his head around here, can we get any dirt on Chaos Over the Old World? :) Will it be a wargame set in the Chaos Wastes with a TE style random tile board set-up? Or more diplomacy and trying to exert influence over the Empire?
Do tell...
Last edit: 25 Nov 2008 15:56 by Mr. White.

More
25 Nov 2008 15:55 #14364 by Gary Sax
Tough decision between waiting for Android and buying Battlestar Galactica... FFG is putting me in a tight spot.

More
25 Nov 2008 16:06 #14366 by Bullwinkle
I'm curious...why don't people want expansions? They're one of the things I like best about FFG's games. Certainly expansions have put games like Runebound and Arkham Horror far above their counterparts in depth and replayability.

Is it money? Or do you not like what they do to gameplay?

More
25 Nov 2008 16:37 #14375 by Mr Skeletor
KevinW wrote:

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

So less than 28 expansions then?

More
25 Nov 2008 16:43 #14379 by Shellhead
Bullwinkle wrote:

I'm curious...why don't people want expansions? They're one of the things I like best about FFG's games. Certainly expansions have put games like Runebound and Arkham Horror far above their counterparts in depth and replayability.

I'm a big fan of Arkham Horror, and I've bought every expansion so far, but I'm reaching my limit. Part of it is money, but part of it is a sense of diminishing returns on expansions. Adding more cards adds replay value, but dilutes the flavor of each expansion unless you spend a lot of time sorting and tuning decks before a game. And with both the rifts from the Kingsport expansion and the corruption cards from the Black Goat expansion relying on cues from the monster movement symbols on the Mythos cards, the Mythos phase has become pretty labor-intensive. I will definitely buy the Innsmouth expansion, if and when that comes out, but possibly not any other future AH expansions.

More
25 Nov 2008 16:50 #14380 by Harkonnen13
KevinW wrote:

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Now you're bumming me out.:laugh:

More
25 Nov 2008 16:53 #14381 by Notahandle
Mr Skeletor wrote:
"So less than 28 expansions then?"
. . . Plus half a dozen promos and/or freebies each Essen for the next fifty years. Collect them all.

More
25 Nov 2008 17:04 - 25 Nov 2008 17:08 #14384 by ChristopherMD
Bullwinkle wrote:

Speaking for myself, its really a matter of money. I have a bunch of Runebound and Arkham expansions so I'm definitely not opposed to them in principle. In fact the expansions to Runebound are what brought me back to it after I sold my 1st Edition. So I know that I want the expansions as I also know firsthand how they can add to a game.
But I live on a budget and honestly don't apply a lot of it towards game purchases anymore. So at some point so many expansions to so many games simply becomes more than I can afford. Like if I were to buy Android it might be the only game with expansions I could purchase for all of 2009. Not to say that's a bad thing. Just that its better to be informed ahead of time what I'm getting into. For example, when I bought Fury Of Dracula I didn't have that issue as there are no expansions (that I know of). So it fit easily into my game budget.

I look at it kind of like this;

Jan - big Arkham expansion
Mar - big Runebound expansion
May - Android expansion
Jul - small Arkham expansion
Sep - small Runebound expansions
Nov - Some Euro game expansion

That's an expansion every other month and not even counting regular board games or other expansions. It adds up.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2008 17:08 by ChristopherMD.

More
25 Nov 2008 22:12 #14406 by Gary Sax
Just read about the movement, the ruler thing.

new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=240

Is cool but has the potential to be a little (a lot?) gimmicky without adding all that much.

More
26 Nov 2008 00:42 #14410 by metalface13
Yeah the movement mechanic is definitely a little wacky. I hope people don't make it a habit of breaking the rulers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds