October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games That Made Other Games Obsolete

More
15 Jan 2009 16:30 #17152 by Shellhead
In another discussion here, I pondered the games that I keep that I will never play again. In some cases, it is because I now own a game that renders another game in my collection completely obsolete.

For example, FFG's edition of Fury of Dracula is a similar game to Undead, only it's just a better game in every way possible. Better mechanics, better components, and no need for a neutral third player to supervise a double-blind aspect. I can't see a reason to ever play Undead again. And some people feel that FFG's Fury of Dracula is also completely superior to the original from Games Workshop.

So what other games have pushed games into obsolescence? Do you still have the older game? And if so, why? And are there any cases where your older game is still better than the newer one?

I never bought Shadows Over Camelot, but I played it about ten times before losing interest. Battlestar Galactica is the exact same kind of game, only much better. Better mechanics, stronger theme, etc., though I have to admit that Shadows Over Camelot is still a very attractive game with nice components.

Cults Across America replaces Creatures and Cultists, and even borrows a couple of jokes from it in the process.

On the other hand, Innsmouth Escape is fairly similar to FFG's Fury of Dracula, but the falls short in terms of game balance and some of the components. And The Vesuvius Incident is an overly complex version of Intruder that flounders under the weight of all the extra rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2009 16:55 #17160 by Million Dollar Mimring
Marvel Heroscape pretty much made Heroclix obsolete for me. I really enjoyed the Clix system, but its price point was way too high. I was able to buy Marvel Heroscape and get a lot more stuff.

I guess it came down to a case of cost vs. enjoyment. Clix just cost too damn much for me to really enjoy.

More
15 Jan 2009 17:01 #17164 by Matt Thrower
Shellhead wrote:

And some people feel that FFG's Fury of Dracula is also completely superior to the original from Games Workshop.

And some people feel completely the opposite.

More
15 Jan 2009 17:08 #17168 by hancock.tom
MattDP wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

And some people feel that FFG's Fury of Dracula is also completely superior to the original from Games Workshop.

And some people feel completely the opposite.

But they would agree that if you have one, you don't need the other, which is what this thread is about- regardless of when the two games came out.

I got rid of ASL starter kits when a budy bought conflict of heroes.

I got rid of Memoir 44 when I got C&C:A

I got rid of Red Star Rising because Case Blue and Europe Engulfed did it better through certain scenarios.

I got rid of lord of the rings risk after playing war of the ring

More
15 Jan 2009 17:26 #17174 by Bulwyf
My group sold off Warhammer Quest when Descent added Road to Legend.

I've been wanting to sell/trade Lion of the North ever since I tried Ben Hull's Musket & Pike system.

-Will

More
15 Jan 2009 17:50 #17180 by Mr Skeletor
Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I just have to say "Million Dollar Mimring" is the funniest username ever.

Actually maybe World of Warcraft the adventure game killed Retern of the heroes for me. Return's biggest strength over the other adventure games was length, and now that's been beaten.

More
15 Jan 2009 17:54 #17183 by NeonPeon
For me the new Cosmic owns all others, but I can definitely see others disagreeing.

I think few people would argue that the old Arkham Horror was better.

More
15 Jan 2009 18:02 #17185 by Shellhead
NeonPeon wrote:

For me the new Cosmic owns all others, but I can definitely see others disagreeing.

I think few people would argue that the old Arkham Horror was better.

I agree on both counts. However, the old Arkham Horror did have a few advantages: fast set-up and takedown time, plus it was small enough to fit on almost any table.

More
15 Jan 2009 18:57 #17194 by BradHB
It may be an unfair one, and one I'm not happy about, but Descent rendered Doom The Boardgame obsolete.

More
15 Jan 2009 19:28 #17198 by DeletedUser
I have heard it said often that Prophecy makes Talisman obsolete, but I don't agree. Yes, they are closely aligned in concept and Prophecy does have a clever movement system and rules for adding abilities to your character, however, to me they still have a different enough flavour that I plan to keep both in my collection. I also think the flavours will diverge even more once the expansions to both games start hitting the shelves.

More
15 Jan 2009 20:15 #17202 by JMcL63
hancock.tom wrote:

But they would agree that if you have one, you don't need the other, which is what this thread is about- regardless of when the two games came out.

I got rid of ASL starter kits when a budy bought conflict of heroes.

CoH had the same effect on me , relegating my 2nd ASL collection to the nostalgia pile. :ohmy:

I got rid of Memoir 44 when I got C&C:A

I understand how you could prefer C&C:A to M44, although I must confess I'd've continued playing M44 for my WW2 fix if it hadn't been for Combat Commander. ;)

More
15 Jan 2009 20:18 #17203 by Shellhead
BradH wrote:

It may be an unfair one, and one I'm not happy about, but Descent rendered Doom The Boardgame obsolete.

Judging by remarks in another recent thread here, nobody wants to see crossover rules between the two games. Personally, I liked the Doom one better. Descent layers in a whole bunch of unnecessary complexity, imo.

More
15 Jan 2009 22:44 #17208 by Aarontu
I sold Lord of the Rings Risk after playing War of the Ring.

History of the World fills the same role as vanilla Risk.

TI2 hasn't been played since I got TI3.

The game of LIFE has been obsoleted by the breakfast cereal.

More
15 Jan 2009 23:17 #17214 by Dr. Mabuse
Can't Stop -> Incan Gold

Titan -> Ticket to Ride Europe, Apples to Apples and about 5 other games that I have not played in a couple of years (and probably never will)

More
15 Jan 2009 23:46 #17219 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

BradH wrote:

Judging by remarks in another recent thread here, nobody wants to see crossover rules between the two games. Personally, I liked the Doom one better. Descent layers in a whole bunch of unnecessary complexity, imo.

What do you mean by crossover rules?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds