October 09, 2023
2682 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2852 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG announces - Imperial Assault

More
15 Aug 2014 14:23 #184924 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: People enjoy very different parts of Star Wars, I guess...

Maybe FFG could create campaign scenarios involving plays of Aramda, X-Wing and Imperial Assault to resolve different parts of an extended story arc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2014 14:25 #184925 by Michael Barnes
Inferno, STFU about a Dark Sun DDAS game...you know as well as I do that would not only be FUCKING AMAZING it's also about as unlikely as this SW game retailing for less than $100.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, black inferno

More
15 Aug 2014 14:26 #184926 by Michael Barnes
How long is it going to be before FFG tries to re-theme Star Wars to be set in the exciting fantasy world of Terrinoth?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
15 Aug 2014 14:43 #184927 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: How long is it going to be before FFG tries to re-theme Star Wars to be set in the exciting fantasy world of Terrinoth?

It looks more like they're taking some of their Terrinoth games and shoehorning them into Star Wars.

This game probably isn't for me, but I'll be disappointed if Storm Troopers hit on anything easier than a natural 20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
15 Aug 2014 14:48 #184928 by black inferno

Michael Barnes wrote: Inferno, STFU about a Dark Sun DDAS game...you know as well as I do that would not only be FUCKING AMAZING it's also about as unlikely as this SW game retailing for less than $100.

I just want to play a Thri Kreen druid with daily psionics. Dark Sun has the craziest cadre of races and monsters in D&D. The miniatures alone would be amazing. But yeah, it'll never happen; Dark Sun is way too interesting for the masses.

This will probably turn out to be some tie-in with Tyranny of Dragons, and that's okay.

More
15 Aug 2014 14:57 #184931 by VonTush
ChickenWalker!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Bull Nakano

More
15 Aug 2014 15:02 #184932 by VonTush
And...$100 price tag!

More
15 Aug 2014 15:15 #184933 by metalface13
Tight corridors on spaceships works. Tight alleyways in Mos Eisley, OK maybe. But Yavin 4 must have some really, really dense jungles to make it corridors.

One thing I'm wary of is the dual game mechanics. Is it a dungeon crawler or a skirmish game?

Could be fun, I'd rather see an Epic Duels reprint though.

More
15 Aug 2014 15:21 #184935 by black inferno
Or, in lieu of a Star Wars: Epic Duels reprint, it would be cool to see a new game that uses the Epic Duels system - it could be easily adapted for pretty much any franchise or setting.

More
15 Aug 2014 16:00 #184940 by Shellhead

black inferno wrote: Or, in lieu of a Star Wars: Epic Duels reprint, it would be cool to see a new game that uses the Epic Duels system - it could be easily adapted for pretty much any franchise or setting.

A few years back, I downloaded a card generator program for creating custom Epic Duels cards. I thought it would be neat to do a Batman-themed set using heroclix figures for the Bat rogues and the Bat-Family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, black inferno

More
15 Aug 2014 16:09 #184945 by Hex Sinister
The official FFG page is up. I hate to say it but it just doesn't look bad at all. The fact you can use it for skirmish or campaign is pretty dope. The usual high production quality is there.

If they make it so you can have a droid follow you around... man. Hehe.

More
15 Aug 2014 16:12 - 15 Aug 2014 16:13 #184946 by Egg Shen
Star Wars doesn't really do much for me as a licensed property. I'm actually glad it doesn't because it's probably saved me a thousand bucks or so in FFG products.

I saw somewhere in their In Flight report that Descent is their number 1 selling game. So I guess they figure, well let's take our number 1 game and attach the Star Wars license to it. Seems like a no brainer. As long as the rules aren't complete crap this will basically print money for them.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2014 16:13 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
15 Aug 2014 16:26 #184949 by black inferno

Shellhead wrote:

black inferno wrote: Or, in lieu of a Star Wars: Epic Duels reprint, it would be cool to see a new game that uses the Epic Duels system - it could be easily adapted for pretty much any franchise or setting.

A few years back, I downloaded a card generator program for creating custom Epic Duels cards. I thought it would be neat to do a Batman-themed set using heroclix figures for the Bat rogues and the Bat-Family.

Yeah, I would play the heck out of that.

More
15 Aug 2014 16:53 #184953 by Michael Barnes
God damn it VT, don't post shit like that. IT WEAKENS MY RESOLVE.

OK, here's the thing. Other than this being apparently based on Descent (which I do not like), I also do not like the notion of buying YET ANOTHER system from FFG. I've supported the serial release thing, I think it's a good idea in principle...but when EVERY FUCKING THING YOU RELEASE is the start of a new LINE of products...it becomes a BURDEN.

I'm already deeply invested in X-Wing, and oh look! Another SW miniatures game with completely different rules, miniatures and scale! Then WHY THE FUCK did I invest in the other one? Not to mention Diskwars, which is likely to be abandoned anyway. Or the SW card game, which I ditched when I realized that I was under too many serial games. And this is assuming a player isn't into Netrunner (another $10-$30 a month habit, minimum), the LOTR LCG, the upcoming 40K LCG...and on and on and on and on. You could almost consider Wiz-War, Cosmic and Talisman to be serial purchases, just fewer and further between and more expensive per release.

So between this and Armada, there's another TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR investment in FFG SW serial purchase games. Because let's face it, there is no way in hell that this is a complete game out of the box, expansions are already designed for it and will be rolled out within three months of its release.

FUCK. THIS. SHIT. I'm going to go buy a $6 copy of Tutankhamen to play with my kids. It will never ask me to buy more tiles.

But god damn it, I'll probably pick it up to look it over and then flip it. I'm telling you, that SW logo just makes me a sucker. I saw Episode I seven times opening day, FFS. If the miniatures were painted, I'd be preordering it on CSI. Thank Yoda they're not.

More
15 Aug 2014 17:03 #184955 by metalface13
I thought you were all for serialized games and that's how game companies are going to thrive in the future.

Maybe I'm misremembering something you said before, but it kind of feels like you're changing your mind a lot.

Slightly off topic, but what I'd really like to see is a corridors/skirmish game with some RPG elments. Like Necromunda meets Space Hulk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds