October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Do your favorite games do everything or do they focus on one thing?

More
08 Jul 2019 15:12 #299373 by quozl
I played Shards of Infinity and City of Remnants yesterday. Shards of Infinity is just a deckbuilder, a good one but really just focuses on that. But City of Remnants has a lot of stuff in it: dudes on a map, auctions, deckbuilding, and more. And I'm wondering if I prefer games that do a lot of stuff more than games that really do just one thing. And how do you classify something like Heroscape or Wiz-War? I'm still thinking about this but I was wondering what you all think about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, mezike, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2019 15:27 #299377 by hotseatgames
I tend to really like games that are doing more than one thing. In particular, I enjoy when games have group phases that break up the individual phases. Some examples from my collection:

Millennium Blades - real time card market, individual deck curation, group tournament phases

Spartacus - auction, betting, gladiator battles, deals, etc.

Lords of Hellas - group drafts every now and then broken up by individual turns that can encompass many styles of play
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, quozl, Frohike, WadeMonnig

More
08 Jul 2019 16:10 #299381 by Gary Sax
A little of both, obviously, but my favorite games are mashups, the more exotic the better. Sidereal Confluence is like this, or Here I Stand, or Gears of War
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, Frohike, charlest

More
08 Jul 2019 16:12 #299382 by WadeMonnig
Hotseat beat me to Lords of Hellas. See my review Wednesday as I go further in depth about that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, quozl, hotseatgames

More
09 Jul 2019 08:04 - 09 Jul 2019 08:23 #299423 by Jexik
Sort of a copout answer, but I really think it depends. I like Dominion more than most other deckbuilders, just because I think it does it the best. Meanwhile, something like Settlers of Catan and Power Grid work because it all makes sense in the larger mechanical framework. I don't think of them as "route building + trading/hand management or auctions/market manipulation" etc. I like "pure" combat games like Heroscape and X-Wing, but one of my favorite worker placement games is Dungeon Lords because I find the scoring and the mini-game to be a refreshing mid and end-game goal instead of getting a little bit of points for everything. So I guess I like games doing multiple things as long as the scoring is focused. For this reason I dislike a lot of "pure" Euro engine builders or WP games because you kinda get points for everything. I like more concrete goals instead of death by a thousand VPs.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2019 08:23 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

More
09 Jul 2019 10:54 #299439 by quozl
Interesting insight! I love it when rules are streamlined as much as possible. A focus on the end goal might be the thing I'm searching for here.

More
09 Jul 2019 11:15 #299441 by Legomancer
I like when a game can be explained in a logical, thematic way. Take Lords of Waterdeep: your goal is to get VPs. You get them mostly by fulfilling quests. Here's how you get quests. You need cubes to complete them. Here's how you get cubes. Everything works towards a single end goal. You don't have a lot of "this does X UNLESS" or "these are Y, HOWEVER", and there's not a lot of "in addition, you also need to do this".

Power Grid has a bunch of different things going on but again, everything is in service of a simple and straightforward goal: you want to power the most houses.

On the other hand, Splendor does mostly one thing, but I find the thing it's doing uninteresting and dull, so I don't care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, quozl, Frohike

More
09 Jul 2019 11:28 #299442 by charlest
I appreciate streamlining, particularly with lighter or gateway games, but my favorite designs tend to do lots of things.

Sidereal Confluence
John Company
Earth Reborn
Eclipse
Cosmic Encounter
Dune
Cave Evil

I quite like sandbox style designs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, quozl, hotseatgames, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds