October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2714 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

And you thought Terrinoth made no sense

More
06 Jan 2020 13:35 #305851 by Msample
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/...mQRRS76T9pz6otRWQh00

I have played KeyForge and like it; I think its a clever concept. But basing an RPG on it ???

At the risk of turning this into an FFG bashing session I have to wonder what they are smoking over there these days .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2020 15:14 #305863 by DarthJoJo
They’re developing their own IPs. Need something that isn’t Arkham and L5R. If they hadn’t picked up the Marvel license, Star Wars and Game of Thrones are looking a lot shakier than a year or two ago, and Lord of the Rings isn’t blowing the doors off. The breakup with Games Workshop isn’t a distant memory either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, BillyBobThwarton

More
06 Jan 2020 15:48 - 06 Jan 2020 16:41 #305867 by barrowdown
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Terrinoth makes sense, it's just boring.

I'm not sure how Keyforge would work as a setting for an RPG. It's incoherence is part of the card game's charm, but certainly does not make me curious about who/what the Roman dinosaurs are and why they have allied with the thief elves. A friend and I were just discussing how weird it was that Asmodee was going to try and base fiction in the setting and this is an even stranger step.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2020 16:41 by barrowdown. Reason: Forgot the word "weird".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
06 Jan 2020 16:27 #305869 by jeb
I'm with barrowdown--the incoherence of KEYFORGE is its charm. Like demons versus Martians (are they canonically from Mars? versus knights I think versus like... Hill Giants? and whatever else. It makes no sense at all. You can try to spin it as the Hub World or Nexus of Dimensions or whatever, but it all seems like a world without rules. How do you roleplay being anything?

"Rick, you're a toaster--not sentient though, just a device that heats bread; we'll see how things go on the sentience front. Moira: a mermaid, but with legs and feet where your arms should be. You can't breathe out of water and start the game dying, good luck! Tom, you are also a toaster, but in form and function you resemble the fractured core of a decaying neutron star..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JoelCFC25, Rliyen, Msample, Jackwraith

More
06 Jan 2020 16:29 #305870 by quozl
If this sells, anything will.

More
06 Jan 2020 16:49 #305871 by Gary Sax
I don't see Keyforge as any worse than the Magic mythos. On the other hand, in my view everything WOTC has tried to do to make the Magic mythos mean anything (PLANESWALKERS) has also bee pretty iffy.

More
06 Jan 2020 16:54 - 06 Jan 2020 16:56 #305872 by barrowdown

Gary Sax wrote: I don't see Keyforge as any worse than the Magic mythos. On the other hand, in my view everything WOTC has tried to do to make the Magic mythos mean anything (PLANESWALKERS) has also bee pretty iffy.

At least Magic post-Homelands is fairly coherent within a set. WOTC also was not making official Magic RPG settings until very recently (2018 for an actual print product, 2016 for a free PDF) and did not make prose fiction books until they had coherent sets. Keyforge is less coherent than the Revised-era Magic core set, which was definitely more Terrinoth-like in its generic fantasy-ness.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2020 16:56 by barrowdown. Reason: Added dates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Jan 2020 17:46 #305875 by Michael Barnes
KeyForge as a setting is the gaming equivalent of “eclectic” decor in a family restaurant...old license plates, a picture of the Blues Brothers, a tennis racket, a fake jackalope with a cowboy hat, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Jexik

More
06 Jan 2020 17:55 #305876 by ChristopherMD
Since their Genesys RPG only uses FFG's in-house settings they don't have a lot of choices as far as adding new sourcebooks. Next will probably be the Discover: Lands Unknown sourcebook.

More
06 Jan 2020 18:06 #305877 by Jackwraith

ChristopherMD wrote: Since their Genesys RPG only uses FFG's in-house settings they don't have a lot of choices as far as adding new sourcebooks. Next will probably be the Discover: Lands Unknown sourcebook.

Don't know about you, but I'm holding out for the Minotaur Lords sourcebook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
06 Jan 2020 19:18 #305878 by DarthJoJo

Michael Barnes wrote: ...a fake jackalope with a cowboy hat, etc.

Barnes will only accept real jackalope mounts in his family restaurants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jpat, WadeMonnig

More
07 Jan 2020 08:13 - 07 Jan 2020 08:18 #305891 by Vysetron
I like Keyforge's setting as a means of shoving in anything and everything for a card game, but they've been pushing it as an actual world for a bit despite the playerbase having no interest. I guess it was all buildup for this?

If you want a good sci-fi system Starfinder has been out and killing it for a couple years now. Why you would bother with this is beyond me.

edit: hahahahaha

Last edit: 07 Jan 2020 08:18 by Vysetron. Reason: hahahahaha

More
07 Jan 2020 10:28 #305896 by dysjunct
There’s plenty of cross-genre gonzo settings in RPGs, so I don’t get why this is any different. TORG, for example. Even D&D has stuff like this with Spelljammer, Planescape, Barrier Peaks, etc. Or Gamma World or any other post-Apocalypse setting that mixes tropes for the amusement of the GM.

It might still be a bad game, but I don’t think it’s because of the premise here.

More
07 Jan 2020 10:50 #305897 by fightcitymayor
I've noticed in the last few years a lot of mindless "corporate synergies" going on when a publisher releases a game. They see minis games making $$$ so they put a ton of cash into minis, then they see RPGs are also currently super-trendy, so they announce an RPG spinoff as well. Modiphius did the Fallout minis game, then suddenly there was a Fallout RPG. Mantic did a new Kings Of War, then suddenly licensed a Kings Of War RPG. FFG was flogging their Star Wars RPG around the time they decided to become "the Star Wars company."

Most seems done out of convenience rather than out of any actual groundswell of popular desire.

More
07 Jan 2020 11:09 #305898 by Msample

DarthJoJo wrote: They’re developing their own IPs. Need something that isn’t Arkham and L5R. If they hadn’t picked up the Marvel license, Star Wars and Game of Thrones are looking a lot shakier than a year or two ago, and Lord of the Rings isn’t blowing the doors off. The breakup with Games Workshop isn’t a distant memory either.

I get they need IP they own rather than pay for. But as others have stated , this environment just seems too chaotic/incoherent as an RPG setting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds