October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The amount of stuff Prospero Hall is announcing at New York Toy Fair is bonkers.

More
22 Feb 2020 12:00 - 22 Feb 2020 12:04 #307368 by Josh Look
When they were just two games deep, I was going to submit this as news but now with thing where they’re at, I don’t have that kind of time.

Aside from Wonder Woman, Marvel Villainous and Back to the Future, so far we have:

-Jungle Cruise. This looks really cool. Surely to lineup with release of the movie (which, I’ll say it, looks fun) but doesn’t look like it’s taking much inspiration from it.

-Hocus Pocus. I’ve never been an avid fan of the movie but my wife has a soft spot for it so I’m sure this will end up in the house somehow.

-New Funkoverse stuff. Two new smaller sets, one is Wonder Woman with Cheetah, the other isOHMYGODHOLYSHIT QUINT AND JAWS. Jaws is just sitting in a puddle. It’s awesome.

Last Defense - This is one of two oddities, as it’s published by Funko Games and is not based on a licensed IP. Description is you have 20 minutes to save the world from an alien invasion using whatever resources you can find. Not much else to go on aside from the box art. It’s real-time, so this might not appeal to me, but who knows.

Yacht Rock - The other of the two strange ones from PH and Funko. It’s based on a vinyl record. No other info on it as of now.

There’s two more games Funko announced, still waiting for confirmation that they are indeed by PH, but it’s likely they are. One is called Pan Am, another game with no additional details or even box art, but the other....hoo boy. Godzilla: Tokyo Clash. Yes, we could be living in an age in which Prospero Hall puts out a Godzilla game. Box art is super cool. No word on what kind of game it will be or if it will be the heroic or villainous version of Godzilla, but going off this box art, looks like he’s gonna be a complete menace.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2020 12:04 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2020 12:37 #307369 by Gary Sax
Does anyone know if that's a big team? I would worry a little they could be stretched thin. Even before the main design guy died for GF9 sometimes I felt like they were stretched.

More
22 Feb 2020 12:56 #307370 by Michael Barnes
One of each please! How awesome is it to know these game’s will be readily available and only $30-$40.

I actually may be the most excited about Pan Am! I -love- that era of commercial aviation...I actually have a vintage Pan Am carry on bag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Feb 2020 13:05 - 22 Feb 2020 13:06 #307371 by Josh Look
For as much of a Godzilla fan as I am, I’m actually most excited about Jungle Cruise. Something about PH doing a family level, old timey adventure game just sounds really fun. And, if they’re opening the door to doing work based on Disney rides, kinda makes me wonder if there will be more. Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, please!
Last edit: 22 Feb 2020 13:06 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Feb 2020 13:07 #307372 by ubarose
The studio is large and has been putting out about 40 games per year for a long while. They just haven't been games that most hobby gamers were aware of, because many of them were bespoke games for business, children's games or educational games that you would probably only find in schools. Now that the studio has been purchased by Funko, they have access to an enormous catalog of licenses. When I spoke to one of their reps in November, I was told that they had about 40 games in development for this year, some of which were finishing up existing contracts. Also, Funko was giving them a lot of freedom to develop games for the licenses that they felt excited about.

I also learned that in addition to human play testing, they run computer simulations, so they can run an enormous amount of testing to discover imbalances and corner cases.

More
22 Feb 2020 13:34 #307373 by Gary Sax
^I had no idea as they publish in areas I'm not super into, thanks a lot for the info.

More
22 Feb 2020 20:04 #307381 by Ah_Pook
Man that Godzilla box art is hot fire

More
22 Feb 2020 22:31 #307382 by Jackwraith
Just for future reference, when posting a thread like this, could someone provide a link to what you're talking about so that those of us who aren't hovering over the appropriate interface (Twitter, BGG, Twitch, Youtube, Reddit, whatever) might understand what the ruckus is? Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, lj1983

More
More
28 Feb 2020 02:55 #307553 by Frohike
Over on the BGB Discord a couple of folks were talking about someone’s trade haul that included Wiz War and Nexus Ops.

One of them mentioned how they wished FFG would republish Nexus Ops, having never seen the original AH edition.

This made me wish that Prospero Hall would pick up both of these, give them a development spitshine, some new art, and convince some non-Asmodee-husk publisher to reprint them. I suggested Ravensburger or any Target-oriented publisher really (Funko?).

Guffaws ensued. Oh no no no. These games aren’t in *that* wheelhouse.

I’m starting think “the hobbyists” either haven’t been cruising Target or Barnes & Noble lately (these Prospero Hall titles have been impressive), or have a very elevated idea of the production quality required of either of these games.

Nexus Ops might be a lot of plastic, but I’d love to see some of these classic IPs picked up by this tier of the market.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
28 Feb 2020 08:13 #307554 by Jackwraith
I think that's a great idea. I do think that Ravensburger does seem to be in "family" mode, to some extent, in that old-fashioned, smash-and-grab games like Nexus Ops don't seem to be their thing. Look at the euphemism for "attacks" in Funkoverse: "challenges", even though they're using a version of Wiz-War's rules ("Take any two actions, but only one can be an attack." This is, incidentally, similar to what Tiny Epic Tactics does, so the Wiz-War influence is still a solid thing in the market.)

OTOH, they have produced games like Jaws which is, uh, at minimum, PG-13 material in the American perspective. So, something like Wiz-War doesn't seem that outrageous. However, as noted above, they've basically just released their own version, complete with a bunch of notable IPs that will drive sales, so maybe they're ahead of the curve on this one?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
28 Feb 2020 10:43 #307558 by ubarose
@Jackwraith

Oh wow! You are so right that Funkoverse feels a lot like Wiz-War. That is probably one of the reasons I like it so much.

More
28 Feb 2020 10:56 #307559 by Jackwraith

ubarose wrote: @Jackwraith

Oh wow! You are so right that Funkoverse feels a lot like Wiz-War. That is probably one of the reasons I like it so much.

And, as it turns out, I'm wrong about that. You can make two successive challenges in the same turn in Funkoverse (either regular or ability or both.) It still kinda feels like Wiz-War because of points gained from knocking people out or interacting with tokens/being in specific areas, depending on the scenario.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds