October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

House Rules, do you use them?

More
22 Jul 2009 21:30 #36002 by DeletedUser
Generally speaking, I like to play games as they are written and Heroscape is probably the only game I have added house rules to. Heroscape is a basic skirmish game, but the framework easily lends itself to modification. In fact, if you read the published scenarios you start to see that it was perhaps the designer's intention to keep the base rules to a minimum to allow for depth to be added via scenarios.

We increased the framework depth a little by adding house-rules for partial cover, pushing, and different terrain types. The order marker mechanic works well for skirmishes involving small numbers of units (HS was designed as a skirmish game) but it's so tempting once you have accumulated enough figures to engage in large-scale battles, so we also allow for extra order markers to be allocated to each player to enable larger amounts of units to be moved each round.

The only other game I own that I have been tempted to house-rule is Warrior Knights. Like Michael mentioned earlier, the starting number of influence doesn't feel right to me and I usually increase the pool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2009 21:34 #36003 by ubarose
I consider a variant to be an alternative rule, or set of rules that are widely known and used by a great many people who play the game. So if I were to play a certain game with a bunch of people I had never met before, and one of them said "Do you play standard rules or variant X?" everyone would know what they were talking about.

A house rule is something that got made up in my house, and is only known and used among a small group of people. If I were to play the game with people outside of my small group of friends and family, they wouldn't know about our rule.

Also, I don't annoy people I don't know really, really well with, "The way WE play is..."

More
22 Jul 2009 23:29 #36020 by Dogmatix
ubarose wrote:

Also, I don't annoy people I don't know really, really well with, "The way WE play is..."

That strikes me as a warranting a death sentence in some circles.

I hear what you're saying about variants, but somehow it seems different now than digging through issues of The General looking for some new way to play The Russian Campaign [including, with any luck, a proper bonus countersheet with proper die-cut counters]. With, for example, BGG's large audience and instant gratification capabilities, every house-rule has potential to be a "variant" within a month of you coming up with it.

More
23 Jul 2009 09:37 - 23 Jul 2009 09:46 #36038 by JoelCFC25
I've made this comment on another site before, where it's probably more apt than it is here, but...

Given the collector-ish and consumptive nature of this hobby, we should all be so lucky to own games that we are playing frequently enough to need house-rules. Give me a game like that any day over something that only gets bought to pad one's purchase amount to hit a free shipping threshold and then sits unopened on a shelf for eternity.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2009 09:46 by JoelCFC25.

More
23 Jul 2009 11:24 - 23 Jul 2009 11:24 #36043 by ubarose
Dogmatix wrote:

With, for example, BGG's large audience and instant gratification capabilities, every house-rule has potential to be a "variant" within a month of you coming up with it.

I know this is in no way scientific or measurable, but my personal perception is that despite the fact that many house-rules may be posted up on on BGG, only a very small number are used widely enough for me to personally consider them to be variants. I don't play Carcassonne, but I've not only heard of people playing with a hand of tiles, I've seen many people at different places playing that way, so I would consider that widespread and well known enough to be considered a variant. On the other hand, people have posted several different suggestions regarding how to choose cards for the markets in Runebound, but none seem to be widely used, so I don't consider those variants. They are still just experiments in house-rules.

On an even smaller scale, sometimes we play that you have to have an encounter at the special locations in Arkham before you can use the special ability of the location. We do this because no one ever goes to the special locations for an encounter and we just wanted to see what the encounters were like. I don't even consider this a house-rule. It's just us goofing around with the game.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2009 11:24 by ubarose.

More
23 Jul 2009 11:41 #36048 by Michael Barnes

Given the collector-ish and consumptive nature of this hobby, we should all be so lucky to own games that we are playing frequently enough to need house-rules. Give me a game like that any day over something that only gets bought to pad one's purchase amount to hit a free shipping threshold and then sits unopened on a shelf for eternity.

Wow, Joel...that's a totally different perspective on it that I actually agree with even though I don't like house rules.

It does go back to owning a stack of 10 games versus owning a room full of 1000, doesn't it?

More
23 Jul 2009 13:54 #36066 by metalface13
ubarose wrote:

On an even smaller scale, sometimes we play that you have to have an encounter at the special locations in Arkham before you can use the special ability of the location. We do this because no one ever goes to the special locations for an encounter and we just wanted to see what the encounters were like. I don't even consider this a house-rule. It's just us goofing around with the game.

That's a good idea. I have no clue what kind encounters you have at the bank, shops, hospital, etc.

More
23 Jul 2009 13:59 #36069 by Shellhead
metalface13 wrote:

ubarose wrote:

That's a good idea. I have no clue what kind encounters you have at the bank, shops, hospital, etc.

Some of our Arkham Horror players like to explore a variety of locations, especially if the game stabilizes with 3-4 gates sealed but not enough clue tokens available for a win yet. At the Bank, you can sometimes get an encounter involving a little free money, though not as often as at the Newspaper. There is a small chance that you can get rid of a Madness or Injury card at either the Asylum or the Hospital, but you will most likely get an encounter that messes you up even worse.

More
23 Jul 2009 16:39 #36092 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Some of our Arkham Horror players like to explore a variety of locations, especially if the game stabilizes with 3-4 gates sealed but not enough clue tokens available for a win yet. At the Bank, you can sometimes get an encounter involving a little free money, though not as often as at the Newspaper. There is a small chance that you can get rid of a Madness or Injury card at either the Asylum or the Hospital, but you will most likely get an encounter that messes you up even worse.

Yeah, and not only do many of them hit you with some damage, but some of them toss you out into the street, and then you can't even use the special ability of the location that turn. We never play this way, except with a couple of people who have a good sense of humor.

More
23 Jul 2009 19:46 #36097 by Mr Skeletor
ubarose wrote:

I always use thisd rule. Makes those locations more fun.

More
24 Jul 2009 09:29 #36117 by mrmarcus
Mr Skeletor wrote:

ubarose wrote:

I always use thisd rule. Makes those locations more fun.

I like the rule, but it can be a handicap if a game starts going all wrong quickly.

More
28 Jul 2009 09:02 #36412 by Aarontu
I usually don't play with house rules, but I do with some games.

I've used some house rules to shorten the playing time of some games that I think take a bit too long for what they are. For me, this makes the game better. I've house ruled the way you get resources in Mwahahaha! because it is the most boring and time consuming part of the game. I've played dead CCGs with smaller decks because it makes the game go faster and more interesting.

I play Talisman with house rules just to make it more fun/less frustrating. Nothing huge or game-changing though. If you have the hag, you can stop at the village without an exact roll for movement. And I've pulled all the Talismans and dungeon doors from the adventure deck. Talismans because it's lame whenever someone finds one from the deck, and dungeon doors because they are pointless cards that don't serve any useful or interesting purpose and no one likes to draw one.

More
28 Jul 2009 12:17 #36426 by Shellhead
I just remembered a whole 'nother category of house rules... rules to add one or more players to the normal capacity of a game, and rules for when somebody has to leave early. Some games are easy enough, but others require some finagling with cards or components, like adjusting hand size. And very few games have a rule for players leaving early... either you just all quit, or you house rule the situation so the game can continue.

More
29 Jul 2009 08:58 #36505 by Aarontu
Oh yeah, I haven't even thought of house ruling what happens if someone leaves early. In some games this is easy to deal with, not so much in others.

In TI3, when someone left early, each planet they controlled gained a ground force or two, all their units/ships stayed where they were, and they returned everything else to the box. Role selection rules were then changed according to the number of remaining players (people may start getting 2 roles a turn instead of 1).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds