October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games that cause you to leave

More
11 Aug 2009 13:08 #37454 by Shellhead
Are there any games that cause you to leave? Meaning, if your choice is to play or go home, you would rather go home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:29 #37459 by OldHippy
Probably not.

I try to never be that much of a fun murderer. But last time I played Agricola I wanted to walk away. And our group voted recently on whether or not to continue playing D&D4E and I voted NO as I would rather board game but got out-voted and decided.. I'd rather hang with my buddies and play a game I don't really like rather then play no game at all. My buddies are good enough guys that even games I don't like are still o.k. to play.

Hell I played twister at my wife's friends house the other day and that game blows (although when your the only guy it's actually kind of fun... couldn't imagine my wife cheering me on as I twist around so many women normally, but in this game it is o.k.).

That said I have said no to Poker and sat it out before so maybe gambling games is my answer... I just cannot gamble, it's not in me.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:29 #37460 by Rliyen
Shellhead wrote:

Are there any games that cause you to leave? Meaning, if your choice is to play or go home, you would rather go home.

Most Euros.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:31 #37461 by southernman
Most euros. And this happens regularly (unfortunately) at my small club with few dedicated boardgamers.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:39 #37462 by MattFantastic
Pandemic

More
11 Aug 2009 13:47 #37466 by Michael Barnes
If you're gaming with friends or a close-knit game group, I think it's really, really stupid and childish to leave rather than play a game you don't care for. If you do that, it's basically like saying "I'm here for the games, not you guys". If you can't make _any_ game fun when you're with your friends, then I'm inclined to say that you're focused on the wrong aspect.

I do understand it if you're at a convention or a group where you're there without any social context. I'd rather pack up and leave than sit around with a bunch of losers playing THURN AND TAXIS.

But I'd stick around if my friends decided that's what they wanted to play, I'd just do my best to have a good time socially regardless of whatever game is on the table.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:50 #37468 by ChristopherMD
I've never walked out on a game, but I did stop going to certain game nights as they mainly play stuff I'm not interested in.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:52 #37470 by mrmarcus
Nothing really. Games get played that I tend not to care for but I'll deal with it and try to have a good time.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:53 #37471 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

If you're gaming with friends or a close-knit game group, I think it's really, really stupid and childish to leave rather than play a game you don't care for. If you do that, it's basically like saying "I'm here for the games, not you guys". If you can't make _any_ game fun when you're with your friends, then I'm inclined to say that you're focused on the wrong aspect.

I do understand it if you're at a convention or a group where you're there without any social context. I'd rather pack up and leave than sit around with a bunch of losers playing THURN AND TAXIS.

But I'd stick around if my friends decided that's what they wanted to play, I'd just do my best to have a good time socially regardless of whatever game is on the table.

That's a great point, but I think that Euros create the opposite situation. The typical Euro discourages conversation, because the players are busy running numbers and analysis in their heads and will only be annoyed by attempts at table talk. So it's a bad social situation... I'm spending time with my friends, but we're engaged in an activity that prevents interaction. I would rather just sit around and talk with them, but if it came down to a choice between playing a typical Euro or going home, I would go home.

More
11 Aug 2009 13:54 - 11 Aug 2009 13:58 #37472 by Aarontu
Probably not. Even crappy games can turn into a fun time if you go into it with the right mindset, usually. Sometimes, I'll mentally retheme a game in the middle of it and inform everyone else what is going on (with friends anyway; haven't done this with strangers).

Definitely not if it was with friends or something like that. I'm there to hang out with them, not just play games.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2009 13:58 by Aarontu.

More
11 Aug 2009 14:01 #37473 by OldHippy
Shellhead wrote:

The typical Euro discourages conversation, because the players are busy running numbers and analysis in their heads and will only be annoyed by attempts at table talk.

That is my main beef with Euro's. Sitting around the table looking at the top of my friends heads as they stare at their stuff and figure out what to do next is really irritating. I do it... but I don't really like it. If we were playing Carrom then the trash talk and beers would be flying around the room and it would never slow the game down at all. Dex games seem to be really great for social settings... there's a reason why pool halls are so popular (or were).

More
11 Aug 2009 14:04 #37474 by dave
Similar to another response above, oftentimes the games being played are advertised ahead of time, and given the length of the journey, I've decided many a time to stay home instead of go. I'm sure most in my group do that regularly.

If we're selecting a game during the session, I'm unafraid to mildly lobby against a game I would rather not play at the moment. Usually we can find something that everyone want to play easily enough. On the rare occasion where others feel strongly about a game that I'd rather not play, I sit through it anyways and enjoy the company and the rare opportunity to do any sort of gaming.

The only time I have left a session early had to do with the company rather the game.

More
11 Aug 2009 14:04 #37475 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

If you do that, it's basically like saying "I'm here for the games, not you guys".

When it comes down to it, that's what playing Euros says to me. We're here for the games, not to socialize.

More
11 Aug 2009 14:19 - 11 Aug 2009 14:19 #37478 by mrmarcus
Shellhead wrote:

That's a great point, but I think that Euros create the opposite situation. The typical Euro discourages conversation, because the players are busy running numbers and analysis in their heads and will only be annoyed by attempts at table talk. So it's a bad social situation... I'm spending time with my friends, but we're engaged in an activity that prevents interaction. I would rather just sit around and talk with them, but if it came down to a choice between playing a typical Euro or going home, I would go home.

Man you guys must be some serious gamers. We usually can't shut up. Playing a euro just opens up the brain to talking about topics not related to the game since most euros play themselves quite well.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2009 14:19 by mrmarcus. Reason: Overzealous editing

More
11 Aug 2009 14:22 #37479 by Deleted User 1
NEVER!

I will always play ANY game. When you play any and all kinds of games all the time you really begin to see the BEST games come to the surface.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds