October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2800 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

AT Family Games

More
18 Aug 2009 12:23 - 18 Aug 2009 12:39 #38299 by ubarose
AT Family Games was created by ubarose
Didn't want take the AEG off on a tangant, so I started a new thread.

mjl1783 wrote:

Well, there is a serious lack of what I'd call entry level AT games right now. Stuff like GW and Pressman were doing back in the 90s I mean. Heroscape was one of those, but it's gotten to be a real mess. It looks like people are starting to spend as much money on the tubs they need to store all the crap for it as they did for the game itself.

The Dungeons, and HeroQuests are fewer and farther between than they used to be, and I don't think that's a good thing. Those games were produced by hobby game publishers, so it was easier to go from Space Crusade to Space Hulk as opposed to Hasbro who don't really have anything with which to follow up a game like Heroscape.

So yeah, a DoW of AT? It certainly couldn't hurt. Whether or not anyone wants to step up and fill that gap remains to be seen, I guess.

There are entry level AT family games out there, but it seems that publishers don't want to market them as such. Maybe they fear that the game will get pigeon-holed as a kid's game or a family game, and will get passed over by adult gamers? Is it better for an AT game to be called a "beer & pretzels game" than a family game?

A few that are in-print spring to my mind are:

Talisman
Memior '44
Last Night on Earth
Tales of the Arabian Nights
MagBlast
Shadow Hunters
Battue: Storm of the Horse Lords
Red November
Ca$h & Gun$
Ghost Stories
Inn-Fighting
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 12:39 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2009 12:32 #38301 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:AT Family Games
The thread about "Game Length and Box Size" might be related to this one.

More
18 Aug 2009 14:21 #38324 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:AT Family Games
Bang!
Pirate's Cove
Prophecy
Nexus Ops (not in print but pretty easy to get a hold of)

More
18 Aug 2009 14:50 #38327 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:AT Family Games
I find Prophecy to be a little bit too much to be an entry level family game. What have other people experienced?

More
18 Aug 2009 15:00 #38329 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:AT Family Games
Neuroshima Hex
Cosmic Encounter (even my grandma likes this one)
Cave Troll
A Touch of Evil, And some older games like:
Crossbows and Catapults
Fireball Island (I still love both of these games despite their obvious flaws)

More
18 Aug 2009 15:19 - 18 Aug 2009 15:20 #38330 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:AT Family Games
Wings of War.

I love Inn Fighting. Dollar for dollar, about as good as a B&P game gets in my opinion. Haven't played it with the kids though. My oldest boy is certainly ready for it.

Sag.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 15:20 by Sagrilarus.

More
18 Aug 2009 15:21 #38331 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:AT Family Games
Drakon

More
18 Aug 2009 15:25 #38334 by ubarose
Your mention of Cave Troll made me realize that two of the games on my list are Silver Line games. Interestingly, the Silver Line description on the FFG website is definately targeted at adults playing with adults. They mention "game nights" and "co-workers." There is no mention of family (i.e. kids), although these light games are easily played and enjoyed by famlies.

It seems to me that many light Euros are marketed as family games. Is it that AT gamers are turned off by "family games"? Or maybe FFG's market is younger and aren't parents? Or maybe their market is kids, and when you market to kids, you always portray an older age group using the product?

More
18 Aug 2009 15:27 - 18 Aug 2009 15:39 #38335 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:AT Family Games
ubarose wrote:

Your mention of Cave Troll made me realize that two of the games on my list are Silver Line games. Interestingly, the Silver Line description on the FFG website is definately targeted at adults playing with adults. They mention "game nights" and "co-workers." There is no mention of family (i.e. kids), although these light games are easily played and enjoyed by famlies.

It seems to me that many light Euros are marketed as family games. Is it that AT gamers are turned off by "family games"? Or maybe FFG's market is younger and aren't parents? Or maybe their market is kids, and when you market to kids, you always portray an older age group using the product?

Some families may not consider dude-killing to be an appropriate theme for a family game. Fortunately, I do [edit] not belong to such a family.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 15:39 by Shellhead.

More
18 Aug 2009 15:38 #38338 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

Some families may not consider dude-killing to be an appropriate theme for a family game. Fortunately, I do belong to such a family.

That kind of blows my mind, considering the subject matter of the video games and movies that I notice kid's playing/watching.

More
18 Aug 2009 15:46 #38341 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:AT Family Games
How about Risk Revised?

-Will

More
18 Aug 2009 16:17 #38346 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:AT Family Games
ubarose wrote:

I find Prophecy to be a little bit too much to be an entry level family game. What have other people experienced?

Prophecy seems more simple to me than Talisman, but I've only kind of played a Java version of Talisman, so I guess it's not a fair comparison.

More
18 Aug 2009 16:19 #38347 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re:AT Family Games
ubarose wrote:

I think it is a combination of all the above. If you leave your descriptions vague, then people will read the vague terms, apply it to themselves and read it the way they want it. For example "game night". If a person's game night is with the family, they'll read "family game night" since that is what applies to them. If a person's game night is with peers, then they'll read "My weekly game night with friends".

Some games that I think are AT Family Friendly:
Mississippi Queen
Hellas
Babel
Okko: Era of the Asigari (sp?)
Maneouvre
Tomb
Ogre
A&A

Of course my definition of AT might be different from others.

LvT

More
18 Aug 2009 16:20 #38348 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:AT Family Games
ubarose wrote:

I defintely think that Euro's are today's "family games" and generally AT games are for hobby gamers or teens. That is a great point. Now there are some families (like shellhead's) that do play AT games with the family. But in general the Euro's are non-threatening games that the family, the whole family (including mom and dad), can enjoy and play but I really believe that AT games are more fun for the children (if not the parents) especially these lighter ones we're talking about here. When I have my private students come over for their music lessons they eye the AT games with visible drool seeping from their pupils. You just know that they really, really want to play LNOE, or ATOE, or even Descent/Doom (what is cooler to a twelve year old boy then a big plastic mimi of a cyber demon).

These are things things that appeal to children. None of my students ask me what Agricola is about. But when they see Cosmic Encounter they all want to know. Dex games are similar. The kids I know LOVE dex games.

When I play games it's the kid in me that gets suckered in. I am looking to re-create that early experience with crossbows and catapults that I had. But today I am more discerning and I demand more game for my dollar so they have to come up with all these complicated rules that serve to further abstract my experience and eventually allow me to fall into this world and give me the feeling of that earlier experience, but not the experience itself.

These are some of the things I love about games. I'm not playing games to prove my intellectual superiority to others. I am playing them for fun. I want to have fun and I hope that all players have a roughly equal chance to win because then more people are having fun. AT games give me a chance to do that and light AT games let me do that with a wider variety of people (is there anyone who doesn't like Ca$h and Gun$?) in a shorter time period (lunch for example, just finished a quick Arctic Scavengers during my lunch here at work). I hope that Flying Frog does well as a company because I think they are doing good work for the light AT market.

More
18 Aug 2009 16:29 #38350 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:AT Family Games
This is a great topic, Uba. I remember you had a few articles reviewing these games for families, and it was great.

Memior '44
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Shadow Hunters
Ca$h & Gun$

And to add three more:

Battleball

Cutthroat Caverns

MicroMutants

Family games I view as games that don't take long to learn and anyone can learn with someone having read the rules. MicroMutants might be a bit more dexterity game--but mixed with AT. A blast with friends and kids.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds