Coming the Week of November 18th (18 Nov 2019)

We have reviews of Horrified, Kingdomino Duel, Dragon Market, Flesh & Blood, and Rolled West. "Why Do I Own This" and "Beyond the Veil" returns. And more TBA

× For those who like to push chits.

Valor & Victory is back.

More
12 Oct 2018 23:08 - 13 Oct 2018 16:22 #283032 by Sagrilarus
For those of you that are a bit intimidated by the three ring binders of rules that are Advanced Squad Leader, I'll mention an attractive alternative -- Valor & Victory. It's a squad-level WW2 hex and counter wargame, a lifelong hobby of its designer Barry Doyle. Doyle is a big fan of keeping things as simple as possible without damaging gameplay, and Valor & Victory shines because of it.

V&V's rule book weighs in at 23 pages if you include the cover and quick ref sheet on the back, and it's a very straightforward read. You can go from a standing start to first scenario in about an hour, and there's plenty of open concepts to work with.

Doyle released the game years ago and then let it idle for a bit. But now it's back in a revised version, coming to you at no charge from its own web site www.valor-and-victory.com/ . It's a Print & Play and an easy one to make at that. I print to adhesive backed paper and stick to card stock or craft foam. With a little care you can make flippies (paper on both sides of the foam to step-loss with the same piece) which augments the build. Maps print to cheap paper with no backing, so likely $8 in materials has you with a very usable copy.

It's really worth your while to visit the web site (also ultra-simple) and have a quick look at the rule book. This may be the most accessible squad-scale wargame in the hobby, and a lot of fun to play.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2018 16:22 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Gary Sax, Brewmiester, Colorcrayons, Whoshim, stoic, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 23:54 #283048 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Valor & Victory is back.
I might be able to retire my site-rip of this game from a few years ago now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
More
20 Oct 2019 15:35 - 20 Oct 2019 15:36 #302602 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Valor & Victory is back.
More detail -- designer Barry Doyle is planning a limited run for the base game, with 7/8" and 1" chits and hexes. This will be a home-grown print on good equipment, but still in V&V's traditional PnP vein. Barry hates Kickstarter, just won't do it. This is a labor of love for him.

After this numbered run of 50 or 100 copies it goes to Tullison for what follows. Great little squad-level game, and I have a dedicated wargamer joining my group!
Last edit: 20 Oct 2019 15:36 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds