October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Birth of America Series

More
07 Aug 2019 04:08 #300515 by mc
Birth of America Series was created by mc
With apologies if this isn't wargamey enough!

I've played 1812 on vassal, and am thinking of picking one of them up. They're usually pretty expensive here (australia) but they're on sale at a few places. I'm a sucker for the period, for maps and bits of wood, for hand management.

Anyone have experience with these? A preference for any of them?

1754 looks a lot more interesting to me - a bit more fluid and dynamic with the forts and the muster points that can be changed, but still with a defined border to fight across. The 1812 map kind of always felt a bit too static although I didn't play it too much. Like, it was all about the muster and then tramping across the empty bits. But I don't know about the NPC native americans.

Most likely going to be played 2 player, or with teams of teenagers yelling at each other.

Thoughts anyone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2019 09:28 #300516 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Birth of America Series
Well nobody else has chimed in so I'll give you what I know based on limited knowledge. I've played two -- 1812 and 1775. I enjoyed both but of the two I think 1775 is the better pick. There's a chance for some real strategy but the dice rolling is still present and has an impact on how you proceed. I also like that it stirs discussions on how the war played out in real life because the hot-spots on the board match the hot-spots in the actual conflict.

I've heard 1754 is very good. I've almost bought it several times just because I love the box art. I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say on the subject.

Regarding the wargamey nature of these titles -- they're as much Risk as they are wargame. That's good. Risk has energy to it and these games inherit that. But they also paint a broader picture and give you a little more to work with on how to proceed. If you're looking for something more in the wargame pocket you could give a look to Washington's War which is in a similar vein and subject matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mc

More
07 Aug 2019 09:45 #300517 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Birth of America Series
1812 was innovative when it came out, but it is by far the weakest of the series IMO. The situation is rather static and the combat system of having the "home field" side fires first seems wrong. I have not played 1754 yet, but that's partially due to being such a fan of WILDERNESS WAR I've never seen the point and I think the irregular warfare aspects of the conflict get lost in this sort of vanilla system. 1776 is pretty decent and probably the best regarded of the three.

But for my money VIKINGS, which uses a slightly modified system, is the best of the lot. It has minis, kids will love it. The two sides are very asymmetric, which I find more appealing. The other neat twist is that there is some deck building possible; you can either play with the standard 13 cards, or swap some out for the supplemental ones provided. Excellent replay value as a result, esp when you consider each faction has unique cards.

I haven't played with the expansions but I've heard good things. About the only downside is that I think it plays better 2 player than multi; reason being is that the Berserker Viking faction doesn't have that many units so I think that player would have less stuff to do.

Overall its a fun system and very DoaM like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hadik, mc

More
07 Aug 2019 16:24 #300532 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Birth of America Series
Thanks everyone.

I personally would opt for Washington/wilderness, both of which could be had pretty cheaply. But the reality is they would end up croaking at me, and i know I can get one of these done regularly and in a couple of different situations.

878 looks good too, but that one isn't on sale heh.

I'm giving it to the weekend to mull it over. If I pick one up I'll offer some thoughts, especially if it's 1754.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Aug 2019 16:42 #300533 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Birth of America Series
Independent of your needs, which run lighter, I do wish there was another good strategic or grand operational take on the revolutionary war besides Washington's War. Maybe a hex and counter rather than CDG a la Simonitch's U.S. Civil War.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
07 Aug 2019 19:09 #300538 by mc
It does seem crazy that there aren't more.
Does it say something about US attitudes to history that there aren't, especially when compared to the ACW?
Or is it just "mechanical" - i.e., in terms of boardgaming, the revolutionary war is just kind of less interesting/more opaque to gamify/less grand or something?

More
07 Aug 2019 19:23 #300540 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Birth of America Series
For a hex and ZOC treatment, AWI is a design challenge. You had not many actual armed forces spread out over huge distances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mc

More
07 Aug 2019 22:33 #300542 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Birth of America Series
Absolutely, it would have to be seriously creative.

Best take on this era of warfare imo is Clash of Monarchs, which is a CDG as well. Though a much more operational CDG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Hadik

More
08 Aug 2019 00:55 - 08 Aug 2019 00:55 #300549 by mc

Msample wrote: For a hex and ZOC treatment, AWI is a design challenge. You had not many actual armed forces spread out over huge distances.

Yeah, that was my understanding. Plus, it's less about conquest etc - a bit more complicated. And all the desertions and everything. Native alliances.

I guess COIN needs to be mentioned (it's Liberty or Death, right?).

And while we're mentioning games about the wider era, A Few Acres of Snow, which i'd totally grab it were available.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2019 00:55 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Aug 2019 02:05 #300550 by marcnelsonjr
I got into the series with 1775 and really enjoy it. It does a couple of things that I need wargames to do - be accessible to non-grognards and play more than 2. My 10 and 8 y.o. sons play, and my wife even plays in the tournament at WBC!

But I think 1754 is the better version. The ports make naval moves make a little more sense, and the Indians are more dynamic in this one, popping up in different places. I just got the Indian expansion which gives factions different special abilities related to different tribes but haven't played it yet.

More
08 Aug 2019 03:54 #300551 by mc
Let us know how that goes. I read about it - looks like I can only source it from academy and the postage is outrageous to here, especially for what it is. I'm thinking if I pick up 1754 I'll probably proxy it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds