October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Stegmaier announces tweaks to Tapesty to address balance

More
22 Nov 2019 11:52 #304453 by Not Sure
Jack's got a point. When the editor-in-chief says "this top-selling game isn't worth discussing", it puts bit of a wet blanket on a forum.

Wasn't this site giving a copy away in a facebook bundle last week or so?

Just sayin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2019 12:05 #304455 by Vysetron
This is definitely worth talking about. The fact that SM mentioned that changes would be coming before the game was even in people's hands is beyond the pale. They -knew- it didn't work as printed, but money had to be made so it was dropped prematurely.

I don't take issue with balance changes. No plan survives first contact with the enemy, and no competitive game is ever perfectly balanced before release. These changes don't even seem that awful, all things considered. It's the fact that this was called out before release yet nothing was done until now that makes them particularly offputting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Nov 2019 12:13 #304456 by Shellhead

jpat wrote: I'm also not defending the balance tweaks--like I said, didn't even know about the game--but was there similar hand-wringing about similar blunt-force balancing in, say, Cthulhu Wars? Or are we just picking on this one?

Cthulhu Wars and Root are both asymmetrical games where some factions are more effective than others. But because both games are multi-player games with plenty of player interaction, experienced players can re-balance the game due to awareness of the differences between factions. From what I have heard, Tapestry has minimal player interaction, so the players themselves cannot re-balance the imbalance between factions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
22 Nov 2019 12:55 #304457 by Shellhead

Not Sure wrote: Jack's got a point. When the editor-in-chief says "this top-selling game isn't worth discussing", it puts bit of a wet blanket on a forum.

I think that it's worth discussing why Tapestry is a top-selling game when it appears to be just another low-interaction point salad exercise with a work-like theme. Is it a top seller because the components are a step up from the usual point salad? Or is it a top seller because a few key reviewers that post at BGG have taken control of the hobby? Or is it a top seller because Scythe had such neat artwork?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, Sagrilarus, mezike, marcnelsonjr

More
22 Nov 2019 12:58 #304458 by ubarose

Not Sure wrote: Jack's got a point. When the editor-in-chief says "this top-selling game isn't worth discussing", it puts bit of a wet blanket on a forum.

Wasn't this site giving a copy away in a facebook bundle last week or so?

Just sayin.

Michael isn't the editor-in-chief of TWBG.

TWBG is not affiliated with the contests or their sponsors.

Michael's cranky-pants comment has been noted and dismissed due to it's crankiness.

I think Tapestry is worth discussing. I think Stonemaier Games in general is worth discussing, especially in light of Elizabeth's Hargrave's presentation at Tabletop Network a few days back. She presented a bunch of statistics on women board gamers' preferences. I feel like Stonemaier when through her list and tried to tick all the boxes with Tapestry - woman on the cover, pastel palette, no conflict... I think they are positioning themselves to go after the untapped women board gamer market. It will be interesting to watch.

I don't know anything about Tapestry's lazy-ass design/development issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, mezike, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Nov 2019 13:01 #304459 by ubarose

Shellhead wrote:
I think that it's worth discussing why Tapestry is a top-selling game when it appears to be just another low-interaction point salad exercise with a work-like theme. Is it a top seller because the components are a step up from the usual point salad? Or is it a top seller because a few key reviewers that post at BGG have taken control of the hobby? Or is it a top seller because Scythe had such neat artwork?

I think it is a top-selling game because it came on the heels of Wingspan. (see my comment above about my belief that Stonemaier Games is going after the untapped women board gamers market)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Msample, mezike

More
22 Nov 2019 13:55 - 22 Nov 2019 13:55 #304460 by Shellhead

ubarose wrote: I think it is a top-selling game because it came on the heels of Wingspan. (see my comment above about my belief that Stonemaier Games is going after the untapped women board gamers market)

That's an interesting angle that I hadn't previously considered. I wonder if anybody else has done some serious research into what women board gamers might like. Maybe they don't want games with conflict. Do they want games with minimal interaction?
Last edit: 22 Nov 2019 13:55 by Shellhead.

More
22 Nov 2019 14:05 #304461 by hotseatgames
My uneducated guess is that women want to play the same stuff as anyone else, but get turned off at artwork and marketing aimed at 13 year old boys with 30 year old boys' wallets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, cdennett, Pugnax555, BillyBobThwarton, Vysetron

More
22 Nov 2019 15:17 - 22 Nov 2019 16:00 #304463 by charlest

Vysetron wrote: This is definitely worth talking about. The fact that SM mentioned that changes would be coming before the game was even in people's hands is beyond the pale. They -knew- it didn't work as printed, but money had to be made so it was dropped prematurely.

I don't take issue with balance changes. No plan survives first contact with the enemy, and no competitive game is ever perfectly balanced before release. These changes don't even seem that awful, all things considered. It's the fact that this was called out before release yet nothing was done until now that makes them particularly offputting.

Huh? This is not true. These balance tweaks are a result of over 3,000 logged plays in a google sheet from people playing after they've received their copies.

Also, unrelated to quoted post, calling this lazy ass design is pretty reductive considering Jamey playtests his games more than the vast majority of publishers. I believe Tapestry had over 300 playtests.

Finally, I sarcastically smirk a bit at comments saying this is just another lame ass track/spreadsheet game. It probably would feel that way to me if I played it, but do people here not think those playing these types of games would not feel the same way about the different genres of games they don't like?

To act like our opinions are facts and that we need to be looking for some hidden reason to validate its success as well as our opinion feels ignorant to me.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2019 16:00 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, WadeMonnig

More
22 Nov 2019 15:53 #304464 by ubarose
Correction: I don't know anything about Tapestry's alleged lazy-ass design/development issues.

Also, people are in this forum are allowed to say they think a game or style of game is lame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Nov 2019 15:56 #304465 by charlest
Sure, I hope we're allowed to say a post is lame too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
22 Nov 2019 15:57 #304466 by Vysetron

charlest wrote: Huh? This is not true. These balance tweaks are a result of over 3,000 logged plays in a google sheet from people playing after they've received their copiss.

The end changes, yes. But before the game was even out SM announced that they'd be collecting info in an effort to balance it after the fact. That's weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, charlest

More
22 Nov 2019 16:02 #304467 by Gary Sax
I have no horse in this race, but it feels realistic to me, personally. I think perfect balance changes and no edits is a good lofty goal but once a game has enough moving parts I think it's just realistic to be ready in case you need to do additional balance.

And yes, you are allowed to disagree with posts vehemently and say games are lame (though not that the people making the posts are lame people).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, charlest

More
22 Nov 2019 16:10 #304468 by charlest
Good point, that is kind of odd but I would wager most every game would benefit from a balance tweak post release. So you could say this is a proactive approach.

By the way, I wasn't trying to target your comment specifically Uba. My comments were more intended as push back against the growing sentiment around here regarding Tapestry.

It's not even Tapestry really that I care about. This place tends to have a mob mentality at times that is very harsh. I instinctively want to push back against that because I think such strong tone can come across as authoritative and arrogant.

Michael is guilty of this often. I really like you dude and have much respect, but spouting opinions in such a harsh and demeaning manner is off-putting and denies meaningful conversation more often than it invites it.

More
22 Nov 2019 16:38 #304469 by ubarose
Oh, okay.

See, I feel Michael's comments are mischievous and purposefully ridiculously hyperbolic, rather than authoritative and arrogant. But, yeah, if he's coming off as being harsh and authoritative, that could make people feel cross.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds