October 09, 2023
2586 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2783 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

What the hell is Planet Steam

More
16 Jul 2009 00:12 #35161 by Stonecutter
And why is it so expensive? It seems to be getting the usual drool treatment that flavors of the month get over at BGG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2009 00:45 #35167 by Michael Barnes
It's a big, fairly complex economic game with a completely executive level sci-fi theme. It's not bad if you like games that are solely based around an economic system because it actually has a very well designed one. But it's not really "about" anything and there's not really any narrative or story element, although there are a few neat ideas- putting resource collectors on top of mine shafts, floating storage barges, acting like a deal broker in an auction between other players. Really, the game is strangely similar to M.U.L.E. in a lot of ways.

It's expensive because it's a small print run, and it has a lot of custom wooden and plastic pieces in a superfluous giant box. I think it's usually around $120, which is way to much for what it is. Don't buy it. Just play a copy at a con or something. I've played once, would play it again, but it won't break my heart if I never see in on the table again.

Most folks in these parts probably wouldn't like it because it is totally a Eurogame, and all that entails. But it's a decent one at least.

More
16 Jul 2009 05:53 #35190 by Stonecutter
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's a big, fairly complex economic game with a completely executive level sci-fi theme. It's not bad if you like games that are solely based around an economic system because it actually has a very well designed one. But it's not really "about" anything and there's not really any narrative or story element, although there are a few neat ideas- putting resource collectors on top of mine shafts, floating storage barges, acting like a deal broker in an auction between other players. Really, the game is strangely similar to M.U.L.E. in a lot of ways.

It's expensive because it's a small print run, and it has a lot of custom wooden and plastic pieces in a superfluous giant box. I think it's usually around $120, which is way to much for what it is. Don't buy it. Just play a copy at a con or something. I've played once, would play it again, but it won't break my heart if I never see in on the table again.

Most folks in these parts probably wouldn't like it because it is totally a Eurogame, and all that entails. But it's a decent one at least.

Thanks for the info... I had written off ever buying it based on the price alone, there's no way I'd spend $120 on a board game not named Age of Renaissance when I could spend that much on 3 games that would give me way more enjoyment.

I don't hate Euros the way most around here do, so I'd play it, but not being a big fan of purely economic games, I'd not go out of my way to a game of it.

More
16 Jul 2009 08:55 #35194 by joebelanger
Meh. Chapel and I tried to teach ourselves the rules at BGG.CON. Seemed much ado about nothing.

More
16 Jul 2009 09:52 #35206 by Schweig!
It's a good, complex, economical game, but it's grossly overproduced with no apparent reason. The components are neither fancy nor functional.

More
16 Jul 2009 10:20 #35220 by hancock.tom
I did a review of it. Search the articles section for the word "ream" and you should find it. It was a good game but the hype engine is only going crazy because it is stupidly expensive and thus difficult to find

More
16 Jul 2009 10:34 #35227 by Bulwyf
It's a good economic dvelopment game with (I think at least) a really clever market mechanic. Other's here are right that it's way too expensive for what it is. Don't be fooled by the cool art and sci-fi theme, this game is 100% pure euro. If you like games like Power Grid, 1830, Merchant of Venus, etc then give Planet Steam a try. Personally I wish the hype machine would leave this game alone and just let it stand on its own merits.

-Will

More
16 Jul 2009 11:30 #35242 by NeonPeon
Sounds like this game needs Packers, Bonzoids, and mischievous glac-elves that steal your food.

More
17 Jul 2009 14:35 #35374 by generalpf
hancock.tom wrote:

It was a good game but the hype engine is only going crazy because it is stupidly expensive and thus difficult to find

It's funny that you'd write this while Ubarose's Mythgardia post has a bunch of F:ATties drooling in it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds