October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2750 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Slaying Shelf Toads: Which Next?

More
28 Nov 2023 22:15 #341131 by Shellhead

ubarose wrote:

Hammy wrote: I'm visiting some friends for a full weekend coming up. Whenever I do this, I try to bring at least one game in my collection that hasn't been played yet to finally give it a whirl. I don't have a preference for which to bring this time, so I want to pick your brains for this. Before I list my shelf toads, one of my friends is fine with light to mid weight games and can handle meanness. There will be me and two other people with one other person potentially stopping by. So, here's the list:

Vast: The Mysterious Manor
Oath
Clockwork Wars
Impulse
TI4
Catacombs 3E
Dungeon Fighter 2E
Zimby Mojo
Cyclades
El Grande
Thunder Road: Vendetta
Chaosmos
Concordia
Clash of Cultures: Monumental Edition
Brian Boru
Castles of Burgundy

Bring El Grande. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like El Grande. Also, when you say “hasn’t been played yet,” I assume that you mean that you haven’t played the copy on your shelf yet, which is believable (I’ve actually never played my own copy). And that you do not mean that you have never played El Grande, because that would be ridiculous and must be remedied immediately.

I don't like El Grande, but I would much rather teach new players how to play El Grande than to try to teach them Zimby Mojo. Or Vast, Or Oath. El Grande is well-designed Euro that reminds me of both cauliflower and the color beige.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2023 07:56 - 29 Nov 2023 08:04 #341133 by Ah_Pook
El Grande is great but the box should say 4-5p. I wouldn't recommend it with less.

Of the options available that I have played, given the stipulations you listed, id recommend Cyclades and Concordia.

I haven't played it but thunder road had been getting a lot of positive buzz too if memory serves.

I quite like castles of burgundy too, but it gets worse every player past 2p you go. Gets too long for the enjoyment on offer imo, and you don't gain any meaningful interaction or anything.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2023 08:04 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Hammy

More
29 Nov 2023 09:04 #341134 by Sagrilarus
Thunder Road only works with the expansions. The base game is flat as a board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

More
29 Nov 2023 10:36 #341135 by Rliyen

ubarose wrote: @Rilyen

He-Man & MOTU rocks. Play ASAP.

I will. We were supposed to have a Game Day this past Sunday, but everyone had the post Thanksgiving plague. So, we're having it in December. I was discussing this post with my wife and the He-Man game came up.

She asked, "Have you even opened that one yet?"

I said, "Well, I opened the box that is was delivered in, that should count for something."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, hotseatgames

More
29 Nov 2023 11:54 #341140 by Jackwraith
I'm an open-and-organize-everything-the-moment-it-comes-in-the-door person. Even if I'm not going to play it for a while, I just want it to be ready to go when I am going to play it. When the Cthulhu Wars debacle finally came to an end and the large box of expansions showed up, I sat down on the floor downstairs and sorted everything into as few boxes as I could manage that night. I mean, obviously, if you're acquiring stuff more often than I am (which is probably most of the people in this thread), I can see why it might be daunting to be digging through a new pile of tokens, minis, rules, and whathaveyou on a regular basis. But I always want to see the cool, new stuff. It would go double for something as visually interesting (and memorable) as MotU. I was tempted by that one for a brief minute, but I don't need another DoaM in the house (gestures in the direction of Cthulhu Wars, among several others.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, hotseatgames, sornars, cdennett

More
29 Nov 2023 14:56 #341141 by ubarose

Shellhead wrote:
El Grande is well-designed Euro that reminds me of both cauliflower and the color beige.

El Grande is quite colorful. Although I will grant you that the player cards in the first edition were not in full color, although that was typical at that time, as 3 color printing was significantly more expensive.

Also, it predates modern “Euros.” It may not have player elimination or dice rolling, but you are definitely playing against the other players. The game is all about screwing other players. You have to play with people who can deal with “mean.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
29 Nov 2023 16:08 #341143 by southernman
El Grande is what I, and likely a lot of other gamers, refer to as a German game - from the mid/late 90s early noughties before they morphed (devolved) into 'euros' with elegant mechanics, VP salads, and blandness .... the last bit obviously a bit subjective :whistle:
Short version - it's a very good game, then and now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Nov 2023 16:56 #341146 by Shellhead

ubarose wrote:

Shellhead wrote:
El Grande is well-designed Euro that reminds me of both cauliflower and the color beige.

El Grande is quite colorful. Although I will grant you that the player cards in the first edition were not in full color, although that was typical at that time, as 3 color printing was significantly more expensive.

Also, it predates modern “Euros.” It may not have player elimination or dice rolling, but you are definitely playing against the other players. The game is all about screwing other players. You have to play with people who can deal with “mean.”

I played El Grande once, and that was back in 1998, so it may have been a first edition set. At the time, I was mostly playing vivid and colorful CCGs like Shadowfist, Legend of the Five Rings, and Vampire: the Eternal Struggle. I didn't enjoy El Grande, but I could tell that it was a solid design.

More
29 Nov 2023 17:33 #341147 by cdennett

Jackwraith wrote: I'm an open-and-organize-everything-the-moment-it-comes-in-the-door person. Even if I'm not going to play it for a while, I just want it to be ready to go when I am going to play it. When the Cthulhu Wars debacle finally came to an end and the large box of expansions showed up, I sat down on the floor downstairs and sorted everything into as few boxes as I could manage that night. I mean, obviously, if you're acquiring stuff more often than I am (which is probably most of the people in this thread), I can see why it might be daunting to be digging through a new pile of tokens, minis, rules, and whathaveyou on a regular basis. But I always want to see the cool, new stuff. It would go double for something as visually interesting (and memorable) as MotU. I was tempted by that one for a brief minute, but I don't need another DoaM in the house (gestures in the direction of Cthulhu Wars, among several others.)

Jackwraith, you're my kind of people. Unless I've soured on some Kickstarter and decide I'm going to sell without playing it, I can't help but stay up late digging through the new toys and organizing and reading the rules...it can be a problem. And I probably do collect more than most people here, though I do have fewer shelf toads (but not by a lot).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
30 Nov 2023 09:51 #341155 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: The game is all about screwing other players.

If you're playing well, the game is about getting the other players to all screw each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
30 Nov 2023 10:24 #341157 by Rliyen

Jackwraith wrote: I'm an open-and-organize-everything-the-moment-it-comes-in-the-door person. Even if I'm not going to play it for a while, I just want it to be ready to go when I am going to play it. When the Cthulhu Wars debacle finally came to an end and the large box of expansions showed up, I sat down on the floor downstairs and sorted everything into as few boxes as I could manage that night. I mean, obviously, if you're acquiring stuff more often than I am (which is probably most of the people in this thread), I can see why it might be daunting to be digging through a new pile of tokens, minis, rules, and whathaveyou on a regular basis. But I always want to see the cool, new stuff. It would go double for something as visually interesting (and memorable) as MotU. I was tempted by that one for a brief minute, but I don't need another DoaM in the house (gestures in the direction of Cthulhu Wars, among several others.)

I wish I had that gumption. You're talking to someone who STILL has not opened up the expansion sets for Return to Dark Tower, nor have I opened up the expansion packs for Hasbro HQ reprint. That one is ALSO being put on top of the list to be played.

I've got SEEVERAL DoaM games, ranging from Supremacy to Kemet to Cults Across America. It's just getting them to the table. I think the last DoaM game we played was Gammarauders, which was the ONLY game we played because one of my friends, armed with the mutant hamster, kept bogarting the pods.... and not doing anything. We had a stalemate for a long time, and then one of us trashed the last fortress needed. I kept dogging her with Hamtaro memes, where Hamtaro is eating a sunflower seed, and I wrote I LOVE PODS. NOM. NOM. NOM.

More
30 Nov 2023 12:11 #341160 by SuperflyPete
The only correct answers are El Grande and Cyclades.

And also, it is a crime against gamanity to have not cracked those. Jesus. If I had my copies still they'd still be monthly plays.

Cyclades is a masterpiece both visually and design wise. It's like a steak with the perfect ribbon of fat. The only question is if you like blood or not.

El Grande ~IS~ a perfect game. Flawless design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars, Nodens

More
30 Nov 2023 15:03 #341165 by ChristopherMD
El Grande es grande!

More
30 Nov 2023 18:06 #341167 by dysjunct
Get the torches and pitchforks because I've played El Grande multiple times both in-person and on BGA, and found it a boring slog every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
30 Nov 2023 18:39 #341168 by n815e

dysjunct wrote: Get the torches and pitchforks because I've played El Grande multiple times both in-person and on BGA, and found it a boring slog every time.

Dead man walking
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.582 seconds