October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

boardgame-related podcasts

More
04 Apr 2008 12:04 #4688 by benny lava
I haven't seen any threads on this subject here and I thought it might make for some interesting (and by interesting I mean hilariously sarcastic) discussion.

I'll leave most of the sarcasm to the rest of you - you're better at it than I am, anyway - and simply offer my opinions on several gaming-related podcasts.

You can find links to all of these shows at www.boardgamepodcasts.com

Board Game Babylon
Eric Sheylon puts out this show on a fairly regular basis. Although it is pretty euro-centric, he still manages to make it interesting by doing things like specially themed series of shows (on FLGS, for example) and pulling off some great interviews. The show doesn't come out with great regularity, but when it does, I listen.

Into The Gamescape
This is another euro-centric 'cast (most gaming podcasts are) that originates from the UK. The banter among the 3 hosts is entertaining, plus they have British accents. They cover a few war games as well. This one is a regular listen for me, but I do tend to fast forward through any talk about particularly dry euros.

On Board Games
OBG looks at games from an intellectual/academic perspective. Each show has a lengthy roundtable topical discussion amongst the 3 hosts, Don, Scott (Nicholson), and Erik, plus a few reviews thrown in at the end. They cover both AT and euros, perhaps leaning a bit to the euro side in the amount of games covered. I usually read the show notes before I decide whether or not to download.

Garretts' Games and Geekiness
This show is heavily euro-centered and usually consists of Doug and Shelly Garrett discussing a handful of games, preferably with German titles. They seem like an incredibly nice couple, but if you listen closely, you can hear the wine glasses tinkling and smell the cheese in the background. I don't listen anymore.

The Spiel
Besides the Dice Tower, this seems to be the most popular board game podcast among BGG users. I have tried to like this show, as the hosts clearly love gaming (euros and AT), but gosh almighty do they ever go into excruciating detail about the games they cover. It's like listening to my mother turn a 2 minute story into a Russian novel.

The Ultimate Podcast
Everybody on this site should be familiar with Steve Weeks' show. I like it, particularly the interviews. Steve asks pointed questions, but doesn't get hostile or combative. The Tom Vasel episode was great as was the recent show with the Smirk & Dagger guys.

The Dice Tower
This may get me banned, or at least mercilessly ridiculed, but the Dice Tower is by far my favorite gaming podcast. Other than The Ultimate Podcast, they cover more AT than all the other shows listed above combined. Their segments aren't long enough to be boring and their contributors, particularly Moritz, are pretty good.

Those are the shows I have listened to. How about you folks? What did I miss? Are there other AT casts out there? I thought about including Board Games with Scott and a couple of the other video reviewers, but that seemed like a different topic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2008 12:24 #4689 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:boardgame-related podcasts
I'm going to try out the Heroscapers.com Podcast that someone recommended yesterday. New format, I guess. I'll let you know.

I listened to Steve's (The*Mad*Gamer, The Ultimate Podcast) interview with Ubarose, but I'm not yet sold.

I liked BGWS, but I can only stand so much. He's so earnest. I think I saw him in a kilt once and just had to move on.

More
04 Apr 2008 12:39 #4690 by Michael Barnes
Other than Steve's show, which is funny and entertaining (and frequently informative), I hate gaming podcasts. To sit and listen to somebody prattle on about a board game is one of the most dreadful, sepulchral things I can imagine.

"Do you like games?"
"Yes I like games."
"Me too."

Or it's practically a reading of the rulebook.

The problem is that most of these folks, who may very well be fine folks indeed, have no personality or "radio presence" at all. That's where Steve excels. He could read the rules to DANCIN' DICE and it'd be more interesting than hearing most of these folks talk about TI3. That Scott character has personality, but he uses it for evil in his campaign to make boardgaming look even more nerdy and inaccessible to a larger audience than it already is.

I do actually like Mortiz, because he's an intelligent commentator and sometimes he gets a little sassy. The rest of that show is just dreadful, particularly when they attempt comedy.

More
04 Apr 2008 12:42 #4692 by benny lava
jeb wrote:

I'm going to try out the Heroscapers.com Podcast that someone recommended yesterday. New format, I guess. I'll let you know.

I listened to Steve's (The*Mad*Gamer, The Ultimate Podcast) interview with Ubarose, but I'm not yet sold.

I liked BGWS, but I can only stand so much. He's so earnest. I think I saw him in a kilt once and just had to move on.

I listened to the Heroscapers podcast for the first time this morning at the Y. I'm not a 'Scaper, but I still liked the show. They had a nice review of Starcraft.

On BGWS, I pick and choose based on the game being covered. He is earnest, but he is also concise and does a good job of communicating mechanics without going into Spiel-level detail.

More
04 Apr 2008 13:28 #4694 by benny lava
Michael Barnes wrote:

I do actually like Mortiz, because he's an intelligent commentator and sometimes he gets a little sassy. The rest of that show is just dreadful, particularly when they attempt comedy.

Hoo boy, you are right about the 'comedy' segments on TDT. But that isn't why I listen. I look to gaming podcasts as a source of info, not entertainment. I think if I ever cross that line it will be time for an intervention.

More
05 Apr 2008 20:23 #4729 by Mr Skeletor
Michael Barnes wrote:

Other than Steve's show, which is funny and entertaining (and frequently informative), I hate gaming podcasts.

I was going to suggest we do one.

More
06 Apr 2008 15:02 #4736 by Ken B.
The "founding seven" should totally do a podcast, just for the novelty factor. Someone set up the conference call, work out the time difference between us, Matt, and Frank, pick a list of topics, turn on the recording equipment, and let's knock it out.

My suggested topic: Who would win in a fight between Mike Ditka and Fantasy Flight Games?

More
06 Apr 2008 15:25 #4737 by hacksword
Ken B. wrote:

Who would win in a fight between Mike Ditka and Fantasy Flight Games?

The senseless waste of pitting these two mighty forces of nature against each other, like matter vs. antimatter, would be a tragedy not only for the teams involved, but for the entire planet. All nations must band together to ensure that such a conflagration never takes place.

More
06 Apr 2008 22:19 #4744 by Merkles
If you did do a podcast, it should be guest hosted by Steve, unless there are truly some good voice talents among the group. A bimonthly podcast with bits contributed by various people, maybe a roundtable, held together by Steve would actually be quite worthwhile, I think.

More
07 Apr 2008 01:52 #4749 by Gav
Replied by Gav on topic Re:boardgame-related podcasts
Sorry to go back on subject... I hadn't heard of this podcast until they reviewed my game: printandplay.mypodcast.com/

It seems quite fun and I like the fact they focus on one game at a time so you don't have to listen to someone droning on about something you have no time for...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds