October 09, 2023
2607 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Soon, the internet will explode with rage.

More
More
27 May 2009 15:51 #30651 by hancock.tom
Yes, they will. I liked the old buffy movie but never got into the TV show, so I don't really mind them hitting the reset button on Whedon's version. I imagine the hordes of fans disagree.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2009 15:57 #30653 by mads b.
What sounds cool is that it's apparantly gonna be a slayer movie, not a Buffy movie. The same as Fray which was a comic book about a future slayer.

In order words it doesn't seem like it will have anything to do with "canon" so I can't see why fans should be angry. I'm a fan. I'm not angry.

More
27 May 2009 15:58 #30654 by Shellhead
There are so many stupid people in Hollywood. Right now, many of them are looking at the new Star Trek movie in envy. Instead of coming up with great new ideas, they are trying to think of other tv franchises that they can reboot. Now here's an interesting fact about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Joss Whedon. He is still writing the comic book version, and in March of 2009, it outsold Amazing Spider-man. No, there isn't a tv show anymore, but those cast members were aging in real time, outgrowing the original concept of the show. Hollywood needs to look elsewhere for now, for the next recycling project.

More
27 May 2009 16:01 #30656 by hancock.tom
mads b. wrote:

What sounds cool is that it's apparantly gonna be a slayer movie, not a Buffy movie. The same as Fray which was a comic book about a future slayer.

In order words it doesn't seem like it will have anything to do with "canon" so I can't see why fans should be angry. I'm a fan. I'm not angry.

People are going to be pissed because they wanted a movie based on Whedon's vision and didn't get it. Stupid, but internet fanboyism thrives on stupidity.

More
27 May 2009 16:06 #30657 by ChristopherMD
I liked the show, mainly the first three seasons, and even played the RPG for a while. The TV show came after a movie that had a different actress playing Buffy and other different characters. In other words there is already a set precedent in a way for the franchise to not need the actors/characters of the TV show. I think most bitching will be because Whedon isn't involved. I'm fine with that. Like the new Star Trek, if they're going to resurrect it I'd like to see someone else's interpretation.

More
27 May 2009 16:23 #30662 by Shellhead
It's just stupid to do this reboot at this time. Who is the potential market? People who liked the Buffy movie from 17 years ago, but not the tv show? That's going to be a small group.

More
27 May 2009 16:30 - 27 May 2009 16:30 #30664 by ChristopherMD
Shellhead wrote:

It's just stupid to do this reboot at this time. Who is the potential market? People who liked the Buffy movie from 17 years ago, but not the tv show? That's going to be a small group.

From the article I read a few days ago, they were planning for a heavy action spectacle movie rather than the lighter style of the show and old movie. Not that there isn't demographic crossover, but that is a different market.

I do agree its stupid to do a reboot.
Last edit: 27 May 2009 16:30 by ChristopherMD.

More
27 May 2009 16:57 #30669 by Bulwyf
So the new bright idea is to reboot Buffy? I don't care if Joss Whedon is involved or not. Buffy was a stupid show and a dumb movie. Sometimes they should just leave the dead alone.

-Will

More
27 May 2009 22:34 #30690 by MattFantastic
Shellhead wrote:

People who liked the Buffy movie from 17 years ago, but not the tv show?

That would be me. I loved the movie (and still think it's great) but I thought the TV show was garbage that lost all the things that made me love the movie so much.

I also had such a crush on Buffy/Kristy Swanson then. I was like 12 years old and after seeing that movie I realized that she was everything I could ever want in a woman.

More
28 May 2009 02:45 #30704 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

Ever heard of Twilight?
Teen vamps are back in.

Hey hollywood, how about another fucking Masters of the Universe film? I actually grant you permission to do that one. Throw me a bone here will ya?!

More
28 May 2009 05:14 #30705 by Octavian
A good Masters of the Universe movie would be sweet - but casting it would be hell. And Michael Bay would just make everything explode in shakey-cam.

More
28 May 2009 09:09 #30712 by Ken B.
Michael Bay would also transport a group of marines to Eternia, where they get wrapped up in the struggle and get more screen time than He-Man, Skeletor, Prince Adam, and Beast Man combined.

"Who cares about a sword of power and some sorceress bitch? BRING THE RAIN, BABY!"

More
28 May 2009 09:31 #30719 by hancock.tom
MattLoter wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

People who liked the Buffy movie from 17 years ago, but not the tv show?

That would be me. I loved the movie (and still think it's great) but I thought the TV show was garbage that lost all the things that made me love the movie so much.

I also had such a crush on Buffy/Kristy Swanson then. I was like 12 years old and after seeing that movie I realized that she was everything I could ever want in a woman.

Yeah that was me too. The movie was just bad enough to be good. I never liked the show although I tried to watch it a few times because so many people I knew thought it was the greatest thing ever on television.

Kristy Swanson occasionally shows up on law and order or CSI and other shows like that as a side character. I always half expect her to stab someone with a wooden stake.

More
28 May 2009 09:52 #30726 by Bullwinkle
The show rocks. You people are crazy. CRAYZEE.

Anyway, what actually bothers me about this is the sheer shamelessness of it. It's an absurd cash grab by a bunch of hacks who have never had an original idea in their lives. And, as others have said, totally unnecessary, especially at this time. This is hardly a property screaming for an update.

I'm also getting a little sick of the whole let's-make-a-dark-and-gritty version of everything. Sometimes it's appropriate (i.e. James Bond) but a lot of the time it's just stupid. What's next, Gilligan's Island?

SEVEN CASTAWAYS. ONE DARK SECRET.

THE SOUTH PACIFIC WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds