October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Warhammer is the new LCG from FFG

More
08 Jul 2009 00:41 #34051 by mads b.
You can read it all here:

fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=652

Personally I'm very excited. I really want to play a collectible game (because I have too much money apparantly), but don't know enough people willing to cash out for A Game of Thrones. But Warhammer is a popular franchise so I guess it'll be easier.

Also, getting a Warhammer fix without endless hours of miniature painting will be cool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 00:51 #34052 by metalface13
Yeah, Barnes mentioned this in the "FFG is a sinking ship/that's a load of malarkey" thread.

I think it sounds pretty cool. I'm interested in the LCG format, but I wasn't really blown away when I tried out Call of Cthulu.

As this is the first to be designed from the ground up as LCG rather than turning a CCG into LCG, I wonder how it will affect the overall design of the game.

More
08 Jul 2009 00:57 - 08 Jul 2009 02:49 #34053 by mads b.
Ah, I haven't read the entire thread yet - one can only handle a certain amount of bullshit in one evening.

A shame about Cthulhu - I've been itching to buy it for a mythos fix that's shorther than ARKHAM.

Edit: I thought metalface was referring to the "is Barnes imploding" thread. I see now that it was another thread with a lot less bullshit. My mistake.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 02:49 by mads b..

More
08 Jul 2009 01:21 #34054 by jur
From the description I don't think it's going to scratch your miniatures itch though. Sounds like e real card game with no connection to the miniatures game, except that it plays in the same universe).

Same goes for the Old World in Chaos boardgame. It doesn't sound like it could act as a campaign engine/battle generator like Mighty Empires.

But they sound interesting all by themselves

More
08 Jul 2009 01:29 #34055 by mads b.
It's the warhammer universe I'm after, not specifically the miniature part. But I do hope building stuff is not paramount in the game. And if you can win by impressing the emperor/the chaos gods, I'm not buying.

More
08 Jul 2009 08:16 - 08 Jul 2009 08:53 #34065 by Nick Dalton
I'll at least check it out. Two games of the CoC LCG and I was hooked. I'm especially interested in seeing the mechanics for building your domain.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 08:53 by Nick Dalton.

More
08 Jul 2009 09:13 #34069 by Ska_baron
So what's the LCG format look like anyways? Just buy the one lot of cards that contains essentially a play set of everything and each player builds from it?

Then when an expansion comes out - it's just the same set up, right?

This is the first LCG that's piqued my interest with the source material so I'm *definitely* going to keep an eye on this after being heavily into MtG back in the day...

More
08 Jul 2009 10:06 - 08 Jul 2009 10:28 #34078 by Nick Dalton
Ska_baron wrote:

So what's the LCG format look like anyways? Just buy the one lot of cards that contains essentially a play set of everything and each player builds from it?

Then when an expansion comes out - it's just the same set up, right?

This is the first LCG that's piqued my interest with the source material so I'm *definitely* going to keep an eye on this after being heavily into MtG back in the day...

Well, for the CoC LCG, the base set comes with 165 cards spanning 7 factions with some neutrals. None are repeats. You can have 3 of each card in a constructed deck, so some people buy 3 copies of that set. (I've played just out of the box though and it's definitely a good time).

The Asylum packs come with 40 cards each. Some of them are singles, some have up to 3 copies. So, some people buy 3 each of those as well. (Of course, you do end up with 6 or 9 copies of some cards, which is a waste, but you can sell them or gift them.)

I recently purchased 3 of everything available and it ran me something over $200 at CoolStuffInc. I'm prepared to buy 3 copies of the Asylum pack each month, which is $30 at retail. So, expensive to be sure, but nothing like a CCG.

Still, you don't have to go that crazy. Very competitive decks can be built from 2 or 3 copies of the core set and 1 of each Asylum pack. A dude named Maik over at BGG wrote a few good articles about this.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 10:28 by Nick Dalton.

More
08 Jul 2009 12:05 #34121 by ChristopherMD
I hope its not like the Battlefield? type of game where its basically a miniatures game using cards, but more of a CCG-esque game that uses the Warhammer setting.

More
08 Jul 2009 12:41 - 08 Jul 2009 12:41 #34126 by Almalik
I think the original Warhammer Warcry was a great CCG. You had a deck of troops and an action deck and played 3 battles. At the beginning of each battle you deployed troops, hero units, artillery and monsters from your hand up to the gold limit for that battle. You could also attach characters and items to the units to give them bonuses/abilities. Each troop had an attack value, a gold cost, a strategic value (how many points worth of action cards you could play on its behalf when attacking or defending), a victory point value, and text for any special abilities. The more powerful troop cards were more expensive to muster, so if you mustered a greater demon you were going to have a smaller army than the other guy. The more powerful action cards generally had crappier dice roll numbers on them, so you'd want to balance those out as well.

Troops were deployed down in two ranks: infantry could only attack one rank in front of them (so front rank to front rank) ranged troops could attack over a rank, and flying units could attack from back row to back row. You and your opponent(s) would take turns picking an opponents unit to attacking with one of your own. Cavalry units were faster and could block attacking infantry units, while flyers were faster still and could block any attacking troops. You'd compare attack values, add any effects/bonuses from action cards played by either side, and flip the top action card to generate a random d6 value. The troop with the higher total lived but is exhausted, loser dies. Once everyone was done attacking, you'd add up the total surviving victory points on either side (different than attack values). Each successive battle had a slightly higher gold piece limit for the starting armies, you could also pay to keep surviving units from one battle to the next.

Summary: A really underrated dead CCG that gave a nice miniatures feel in addition to all the Warhammer flavor. I've got a wait and see attitude towards the new version.

edit: oh, and it's probably cheap to pick up a pile of cards for it (though I haven't checked eBay lately).
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 12:41 by Almalik.

More
08 Jul 2009 13:18 #34134 by Gary Sax
That does sound good Almalik

More
18 Jul 2009 01:14 #35427 by metalface13
FFG has a new preview of the game up

fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=668

I for one am getting really excited by this game. I like CCGs but not the cost or the collectible nature. I bet this would be a big hit with my Dragon Dice buddy (OK, he's really my all gaming buddy but he REALLY likes Dragon Dice)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.550 seconds