October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Touch Of Evil VS Betrayal On The Hill

More
26 Oct 2009 14:52 #45538 by Shellhead
Schweig! wrote:

Playing Betrayal was the only time I was really horrified playing a board game. Jonah's turn.

Not that this really matters, but it still makes the game distinctive.

Vote Betrayal.

Oh yes, Jonah's Turn is memorable... he wanted all the turns.

Another nice touch is the pair of mirror events cards. Your future self interacting with your past self. One gives an item but costs sanity, while the other makes you give up an item in return for sanity gain. On the rare occasion when both events affect the same player in the same game, it's really cool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2009 19:29 #45558 by Mr Skeletor
Grudunza wrote:

From what I've read about ATOE, the base game had a pretty heavy split of supporters/detractors, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Something Wicked expansion helping with a lot of the issues that the detractors had. Can anyone who has SW elaborate on what they think about that? There's a good chance I'll pick up ATOE and might just go ahead and spring for SW right away.

I don't know if that is right - SW just adds more of the same, so if you didn't like the base SW wont change your mind.
That being said SW is great - having a bigger board is better, the new villans are awesome, and the little touches like the 'sub plot' of the Crimson hand are good fun.
Lots of people like the new co-op chart but while I haven't tried it I thought it was a bit 'meh', it just duplicates effects from the mystery cards and I would have rathered they do something a bit more innovative. I don't like the way they distributed numbers on the chart either.
Co-op works well if you only have 2 or maybe 3 people. Beyond that its too easy (the new co-op chart may have fixed that) - but who cares I say! If you have 4+ players play the game TEAM BASED. Way more fun than pure co-op.

Or you could play betrayal of the house that jack built. The boring overpriced hunk of shit where you spend 85% of the game POINTLESSLY BUILDING A HOUSE. Seriously, its fucking BORING, and its the same EVERY GAME - the card decks are small as shit. All the much praised 'replayability' is in the haunt, which happens at the ass end of the game. So the game plays the same for the first 10 turns, then you get 3 turns of variety. Wow. And frankly the haunts are mostly fucking shit anyway. But thats what happens when you have a game with no interesting rules. At least in ATOE, when the village begins sinking into the bog it happens from the start, not at the end with a lame ass mechanic where your victory is soley dependant on how close to the entrance you were when the haunt started.
Betray really is a game for retards.

Also, rubber masks > a token that says 'bat'.

More
26 Oct 2009 19:41 - 26 Oct 2009 19:41 #45560 by mjl1783
Also, rubber masks > a token that says 'bat'.

Then by your logic, the new Star Wars movies are better than the old ones by leaps and bounds because the special effects are so much fancier, which would make you breathtakingly fucking retarded.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2009 19:41 by mjl1783.

More
26 Oct 2009 20:27 #45564 by Mr Skeletor
mjl1783 wrote:

Then by your logic, the new Star Wars movies are better than the old ones by leaps and bounds because the special effects are so much fancier, which would make you breathtakingly fucking retarded.

Obviously you are dickpunchingly fucking retarded as only a dickpunch retard would claim that CGI is 'so much fancier' then the beautiful artistic work of the Creature Workshop. Jabba the Hutt never looked better then he did in Return of the Jedi. Give me the warm Yoda of the originals then that sonic the hedgehog buncha shit from the prequels.

Your comparison proves my point, ATOE uses rubber masks just like Jim Hendson does. A black fucking dot with the word 'bat' is what greenscreen actors get to work with.

So take a black counter, write the word 'franks balls' on it, and proceed to suck em.

More
26 Oct 2009 20:53 #45565 by lj1983
vote dickpunching

More
26 Oct 2009 20:55 #45566 by beuks33
Mr Skeletor wrote:

So take a black counter, write the word 'franks balls' on it, and proceed to suck em.

Never played either game, but that just won me over. Vote ATOE

More
26 Oct 2009 22:07 #45571 by Shellhead
beuks33 wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Never played either game, but that just won me over. Vote ATOE

Peer pressure in TrashDome just hit a new low.

More
26 Oct 2009 22:52 #45575 by mjl1783
Obviously you are dickpunchingly fucking retarded as only a dickpunch retard would claim that CGI is 'so much fancier' then the beautiful artistic work of the Creature Workshop.

Sorry, but it is. Practical effects are great, but they have serious limits that CGI doesn't. You really think Jurassic Park would have been as impressive as it was had they used stop-motion animation like they'd originally planned?

Jabba the Hutt never looked better then he did in Return of the Jedi. Give me the warm Yoda of the originals then that sonic the hedgehog buncha shit from the prequels.

Yes, Frank, they looked better, but neither one of them ever fucking moved, which is a problem when your script requires them to walk around, or have a sword fight. Why didn't they originally have Jabba in A New Hope in the first place? Because they couldn't get a puppet to walk around the set without thirty people to drag it.

Your comparison proves my point, ATOE uses rubber masks just like Jim Hendson does.

You're not seriously comparing Flying Frog and Jim Henson, are you? Because there is no word that adequately combines genitals and violence to describe how retarded that is.

Fine, and you can get a big rubber cock, write my name on it, and shove it up your ass. Last I checked, your wife had one labeled thus in her underwear drawer.

More
26 Oct 2009 23:36 #45578 by NeonPeon
The monster tokens in Betrayal never bothered me, but one of my favorite games is Nethack:

More
27 Oct 2009 08:21 #45589 by scissors
mjl1783 wrote:

Then by your logic, the new Star Wars movies are better than the old ones by leaps and bounds because the special effects are so much fancier, which would make you breathtakingly fucking retarded.[/quote]

I don't know mjl, maybe you should reserve that rubber dick with skeletor's name on it for yourself. What kind of fucking production values are we talking about here? They couldn't at least produce the fucking bat in silhouette? No one should be excited about a marker that says the word "Bat" on it. But if you are, I have a new dungeon crawler to sell you with 250 tags like 'evil fiend', 'the good guy' and 'asshole'. There map's drawn on an old paper kleenex or you can just pretend.

More
27 Oct 2009 08:56 #45590 by Stephen Avery

Damn -- Avery is drunk again. Its Betrayal vs. ATOE (not LNOE).

As for my vote: ATOE. It is a decent solo game.

Whoops- heh. I'd still pick "Betrayal" over "Touch of Evil" though I've only played the ATOE expansion once. The encounters in betrayal are more interesting and varied and the game does a better job of portaying the genre.

I'm considering rebasing my Horrorclix to pimp out Betrayal and using doll furnishings to go with the cards. The fact that I only pull the game 5-6 times a year is kinda putting me on the fence though. The tiles would be insanely hard to pimp only becuse there is so much detail to represent.

Steve"PimpmyGame"Avery

More
27 Oct 2009 11:10 #45595 by Columbob
VOTE: A TOUCH OF EVIL

More
27 Oct 2009 12:05 #45601 by mjl1783
What kind of fucking production values are we talking about here? They couldn't at least produce the fucking bat in silhouette?

They could have. They didn't. Here's a question; what difference does it make? You can't read the word "bat," and imagine a bat in the room with your guy?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that's the kind of thing I was taught to do in school when we started reading books without pictures in them.

More
27 Oct 2009 12:15 #45603 by Rliyen
mjl1783 wrote:

What kind of fucking production values are we talking about here? They couldn't at least produce the fucking bat in silhouette?

They could have. They didn't. Here's a question; what difference does it make? You can't read the word "bat," and imagine a bat in the room with your guy?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that's the kind of thing I was taught to do in school when we started reading books without pictures in them.

SPONGEBOB VOICE: "This is where you use your IMAGINATION!!!"

Mj, I agree with ya.

Also, I blame my son for the above remark. He loves his Nicktoons.

More
27 Oct 2009 12:23 #45604 by NeonPeon

See those three green circular counters towards the top-right-ish? Those alone render the entire game so hideous it's unplayable.

And this "mummy" counter is totally lame without art.

Oh wait, some of them do have art? Huh.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds