Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Feb 2018 20:45 #262718

Scott_F wrote:
A couple of newish games here.

Space Empires without the expansion. We played a four player game with teams and the teams were across from each other instead of next to each other. Used the short game goal of having 3 points, a point being destruction of a enemy colony or creation of your own colony in enemy space. I was the only player that played previously although it isn't my game. After a couple turns of exploring I sent a 2 fleet group of destroyers to my nearest neighbor and started destroying his minor colonies. He responded with a couple of single cruiser groups but my upgraded defense and offense took him out. The game was over after I took out his other two minor colonies and the other players hadn't bothered each other. The game has some cool aspects to it, I really like the hidden movement and bluffing of the number of ships in a stack. It does feel a little bland though, kinda like a very basic RTS game where neither side has cool units and instead just has basic tanks with unknown enemy blips moving on the map. I'd play it again for sure but it is a little on the plain side. Either you rush early or you build up your tech and use some bigger ships. I'm not sure about the strategy choices in the game after a few plays but it was fun. Would far rather play a 4 player game of TI4 and I think thats a problem.

Actually, we have moved to playing Space Empires only in my group (we played 25 games in a row, without touching another board game since, so it is my best investment since Descent: Road To Legend). It is true that it plays a bit like a classical RTS, but I think it is a great thing:
You have to balance aggression defense and economy.
Actually, I think the game features more decisions and less optimization than most other 4X.
Most decisions are pretty important actually: Researching things you don't need immediately can kill you as you don't have enough to fend off your opponent fleet. Not getting enough information about your opponent can get crippling too.
In order to add some choice in the technologies, I highly recommend playing with all the advanced rules (carriers, Raiders and mines).
Having to commit to one of the offensive path, while preparing to counter for what the opponent has is the core of the game (but it does not work if your opponent can only go for larger ships). I also think the game is much better when played with teams.

I once lost a game because I built a lot of mines and all my 4 bases to protect myself from my opponent while he massed a large force nearby. I planned to out echo him. In fact, these were only decoys screened by a picket of scouts, so he was the one to out echo me and ended up slowly grinding me down.
In another game, my ally was being clobbered, so I had to take extreme risks to terminate an opponent before he could go down, and sent part of my fleet through a blackhole against his homeworld, while the remaining ships engaged his fleet to prevent reinforcements. It went down to a duel between his last shipyard and my last ship, but we lost.

The elements of hidden information just add a dimension that doesn't exist in most other game.
It comes at the cost of some fiddliness (remembering which token is which ship group can get old), but I think it is really worth it. I just cannot imagine going back to any other 4X, or even Dude on a Map game, now.

The expansion adds a lot of welcome variety (racial powers), some cool units(titans and boarding ships) and makes attacking aliens worthwile (with unique alien techs), but it is not really needed until you want to add some asymmetry.
  • Galdred
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 14
Last Edit: 02 Feb 2018 20:47 by Galdred.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, jpat, Frohike, Erik Twice, aaxiom, stoic, Scott_F

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Feb 2018 20:45 #262719

I've got a copy of City of Chaos and would be willing to bring it to damn near any con if I thought it'd actually get played with some FATties...
  • jay718
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 197
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SuperflyTNT

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Feb 2018 21:37 #262720

Galdred wrote:
Actually, we have moved to playing Space Empires only in my group (we played 25 games in a row, without touching another board game since, so it is my best investment since Descent: Road To Legend). It is true that it plays a bit like a classical RTS, but I think it is a great thing:

This is fucking awesome.

Also, if I played this game I definitely think I'd want to play with the expansion racial powers. I like alien special powers in my space 4x for some reason.

You getting a copy of Replicators?
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 2957
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 10:47 #262727

Gary Sax wrote:
Galdred wrote:

This is fucking awesome.

Also, if I played this game I definitely think I'd want to play with the expansion racial powers. I like alien special powers in my space 4x for some reason.

You getting a copy of Replicators?

You are right, the racial powers really allow you to do some unusual things. The only problem is that they are not balanced at all (there is an option to bid for them, but then, you lose the surprise factor. In my group, we have assigned each of them bonus production points, with the best ones getting zero, and the weakest ones getting 50)
Sure, I preordered Replicators, as it adds a good dose of asymmetry, and the new technologies also sound great.
  • Galdred
  • D4
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 11:44 #262733

That's a bold move, including totally unbalanced special powers in your expansion. But then the general vibe I get from Jim Krohn is a lot of trust for players and their ability to make games theirs. From what I've heard, Talon's like this.

I should really try out Talon someday... that expansion is coming out this year too IIRC.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 12:51 #262738

Gary Sax wrote:
I should really try out Talon someday... that expansion is coming out this year too IIRC.

I like Talon quite a bit. The scenario design is a little wonky on a few missions and I wish it was Star Trek instead of not-Star Trek, but it still delivers some good fun despite that. For a spaceship enthusiast like me who is over buying oodles of expansions and spending any amount of time building lists, Talon is a great alternative.

I’ve got the expansion preordered. Can’t wait to see how it shakes out as it seems to be centered around scenarios.
  • Josh Look
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1291
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 03 Feb 2018 15:57 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 14:20 #262740

Still playing Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks. A friend of mine who's a big fan of the show came over last night, so that I could play it with him before it gets packed up for shipping overseas. We ended up playing twice.

Our first game was pretty tough. We ended up getting the Genesis of the Daleks Time Anomoly, which pumps up a Dalek marker every round. We were able to deflect a lot of other Time Anomolies, but we could never effectively chase off the markers from the Genesis card, and we ended up losing that way.

Our second game was WAY more eventful. We had a total of three regenerations, so each of us got to use each incarnation of the Doctor at some point. Once again, we got in a bind with a couple of Time Anomolies in action at once after some bad luck. But this time we were able to get out of that jam, and focus on racing each other to the finish. I ended up with the Fourth Doctor, travelling with Clara, Adric, and Romana. I was generating like 10 dice in my pool before trimming it down, so that gave me a lot of flexibility. I was able to make a late push and got to Gallifrey first for the win.

Definitely not a perfect game, but it's getting a lot of play because it hits a lot of the right notes, and it's really not a difficult game to teach and play. Definitely enjoying it.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 16:06 #262741

Gary Sax wrote:
That's a bold move, including totally unbalanced special powers in your expansion. But then the general vibe I get from Jim Krohn is a lot of trust for players and their ability to make games theirs. From what I've heard, Talon's like this.

I don't think they could be balanced, given that the game allows very different setup (there are like 4 different map sizes for 1 vs 1, then you have 1 vs 2, 2 vs 2, and free for all).
Racial advantages that help a player to "rush" another one (House of Speed, immortals) are obviously much stronger on smaller maps while economic advantages(gifted Scientists, Industrious) get much stronger on larger ones.
Some really depend on the amount of deep space (Amazing diplomats), so these too are very dependent on the setup.
Several also make huge changes to the way the game is played (giant race, insectoid).

We really welcome the variety they grant, even though it came at the cost of balance.
  • Galdred
  • D4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 16:38 #262742

Playing more of the “Unlock!” Games. Some
of these puzzles are legitimately unfair. I figured out a bunch (and I’m proud of that shit) but shit fire are some of these so convoluted and complex that it is unreasonable that a person would figure it out.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 4123
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 17:54 #262744

Josh Look wrote:
Gary Sax wrote:

I like Talon quite a bit. The scenario design is a little wonky on a few missions and I wish it was Star Trek instead of not-Star Trek, but it still delivers some good fun despite that. For a spaceship enthusiast like me who is over buying oodles of expansions and spending any amount of time building lists, Talon is a great alternative.

I’ve got the expansion preordered. Can’t wait to see how it shakes out as it seems to be centered around scenarios.

I like Talon as well. I’ve de-ordered the expansion though, because I think the base game will do me and I’ve played mostly on Vassal. Would be a good game for Discord.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3147
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Feb 2018 21:01 #262747

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Playing more of the “Unlock!” Games. Some
of these puzzles are legitimately unfair. I figured out a bunch (and I’m proud of that shit) but shit fire are some of these so convoluted and complex that it is unreasonable that a person would figure it out.

Was it the Island of Dr. Goorse? Because I think that one is terribly unfair.
  • barrowdown
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 322

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 04:37 #262760

I bought 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon because my lady likes it. Ok, it adds some more shit for you to buy. I just don't know about games like this. Well crafted, tensionless porridge mostly. An activity to kill an hour before watching Hulu. I suppose not every game needs to be some fire-breathing cutthroat brain burner but they should at least offer SOME kind of fun. *shrug* I paid money for it, fuck me. I'll take 2-p Pax Porf over this any day (which I always forget I even own because it's kept inside a Thunderstone box).

Did a bit of AH:TCG Dunwich Legacy as well. It's pretty cool so far. I know I bitched about the game a bit but I do like it, mostly. There is this weakness that makes you start with less cash and I get it every time, man. I hate that fucker. You know you need a .45 out the gate but you can't even afford a lipstick wtf. Anyway, I created a nasty alchemical solution and saved some dumb college kids but we had to clean up the table for...

Gloomhaven. I had no idea the game would weigh almost as much as OGRE kickstarter. I filled 2.5 planos full of shit. I had no idea there was so much crap. Quality is better than expected and the rules sound good so far. Pretty excited for this one.
  • Hex Sinister
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 579
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 08:35 #262764

Sagrilarus wrote:
I like Talon as well. I’ve de-ordered the expansion though, because I think the base game will do me and I’ve played mostly on Vassal. Would be a good game for Discord.

Any interest in playing sometime, Sag? I would need to study the rules beforehand but...
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 09:04 #262766

Gary Sax wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Any interest in playing sometime, Sag? I would need to study the rules beforehand but...

Hell, I might be interested in that. I’ll have to check out Vassal and Discord and familiarize myself. Never used either.
  • Josh Look
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1291
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Feb 2018 09:09 #262767

Discord is very easy. Just follow the link in the other thread, give it any e-mail, and then have some sort of microphone or headset. It's just a way to skype/hangout along with a chat channel so it's easy for large groups to pick up and drop in voice channels. It's the way most people do pc game voice chat these days.

VASSAL's a bit trickier but it depends on the quality of the module, which are largely made by volunteers. At its most basic it's just virtual pieces for games. Some have more or less tools of convenience but in general in VASSAL you enforce all rules. You download the VASSAL program itself and then you download whichever module has been uploaded to the VASSAL site. GMT games almost always have good modules since lots are playtested on it. Other companies vary wildly.

Actually, Josh, the Talon module looks pretty good. They even made some intro videos to vassal and it for newcomers:
www.insidegmt.com/?p=8298
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2018 09:41 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds