October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Which TOADS are you SHELVING?

More
29 Nov 2021 16:26 #328356 by charlest
Apologies Dysjunct if I'm the one who convinced you to back Street Masters. I still adore that game. It is fiddly and not terribly smooth, true. Hope you sell it without much hassle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2021 16:28 #328358 by Smeagol
Is there a name for a Kickstarter you bought a big bundle of and it went straight to toad status?

Seems like it’s a common event now.

I have some level of bundle for “mutant chronicles siege of the citadel a techno board game” that I haven’t even cracked the tape on the shipping box of since my game group evaporated permanently during covid.

Original was a AT classic but the new one gets 0 attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 Nov 2021 16:32 #328359 by Shellhead

Smeagol wrote: Is there a name for a Kickstarter you bought a big bundle of and it went straight to toad status?

I just checked, and biologists apparently call a group of toads a "knot of toads." So maybe you could call your Kickstarter bundle toad "a toadknot."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smeagol, n815e

More
29 Nov 2021 17:03 #328361 by Virabhadra

dysjunct wrote: Street Masters: Aftershock and every other Kickstarter add-on. I thought this would be great based on the theme, but it's fiddly, hard to teach, and basically needed a bunch more development by someone not connected to the design and playtest team.

The only reason Street Masters has been sitting so long on our shelf is that I primed the miniatures ages ago and told myself that I wouldn't play it again until I had everything painted. Then, somehow, other painting projects kept taking precedence.

However, I have gotten a HELL of a lot of play out of the app version of the game. It's a fantastic port. My only worry is that the computer does so much heavy lifting that it might be tough to go back to the physical copy. *eyes Flying Frog Productions painting backlog* Which is fine, because that's probably gonna be a while anyway.

More
29 Nov 2021 17:06 #328363 by Virabhadra

Smeagol wrote: Is there a name for a Kickstarter you bought a big bundle of and it went straight to toad status?

Kickshart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Dr. Mabuse, jpat, Msample, themothman421, sornars, Smeagol, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
29 Nov 2021 19:34 #328369 by mezike
‘Crowd-toaded’
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Smeagol, n815e

More
29 Nov 2021 21:39 #328373 by dysjunct

charlest wrote: Apologies Dysjunct if I'm the one who convinced you to back Street Masters. I still adore that game. It is fiddly and not terribly smooth, true. Hope you sell it without much hassle.

Nah, it’s all me. Heard about it early, backed on day one due to a lifetime of pumping quarters into Double Dragon, Final Fight, etc.

More
30 Nov 2021 08:47 - 30 Nov 2021 08:47 #328378 by the_jake_1973
I went all in on Street Masters and their fantasy game as well. I came to my senses when the packages arrived and shunted them off to other toad sanctuarys.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2021 08:47 by the_jake_1973.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
02 Dec 2021 15:04 - 02 Dec 2021 17:15 #328444 by southernman
My main toads are due to having an active small group, but more than two:
War of the Ring
Tide of Iron
Star Wars: Rebellion

And then there's the saddest case by a mile - my favourite game but it's either too few players in my normal group or complete lack of interest in it by my larger euro group:
Battlestar Galactica :sick:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 17:15 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Msample, sornars, n815e

More
02 Dec 2021 16:28 #328447 by Dr. Mabuse
John Company 2nd edition

Dunno what I was thinking. It will never get played whenever it arrives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Not Sure, sornars, cdennett

More
02 Dec 2021 16:33 #328448 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Which TOADS are you SHELVING?
Getting the Conan expansion (still in production) was a major mistake, as these things go.

More
02 Dec 2021 16:55 #328452 by RobertB
I bought the tricked-out Kickstart version of Scythe (yeah, yeah, Scythe is a piece of crap, whatever), with everything short of the coffee table art book. Metal coins, giant board, etc. I've played it twice.

More
02 Dec 2021 17:12 #328454 by Not Sure

Dr. Mabuse wrote: John Company 2nd edition

Mine's going to sit proudly next to the first edition, sharing its fate.

Many years ago I used the term "cardboard license keys" for games like this, so I don't feel bad playing them online. Supporting the designers I like is important.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Dr. Mabuse, Msample, Jackwraith, mezike, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, mc

More
02 Dec 2021 17:17 - 02 Dec 2021 17:18 #328455 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: I bought the tricked-out Kickstart version of Scythe (yeah, yeah, Scythe is a piece of crap, whatever), with everything short of the coffee table art book. Metal coins, giant board, etc. I've played it twice.

The coffee table art book sounds ridiculous for a board game, but I think that the art is the only great thing about Scythe and might consider buying the art book. I'm also the guy who thinks that the theme song is the only great thing about Cowboy Bebop.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 17:18 by Shellhead.

More
02 Dec 2021 19:18 #328462 by Dr. Mabuse

Not Sure wrote:

Dr. Mabuse wrote: John Company 2nd edition

Mine's going to sit proudly next to the first edition, sharing its fate.

Many years ago I used the term "cardboard license keys" for games like this, so I don't feel bad playing them online. Supporting the designers I like is important.

I was caught up in the affinity you and Gary Sax have for it. I played the first edition years ago at a convention and floundered about terribly. It reminded me of when I first got into the hobby and one of the first games I ever played was Tigris and Euphrates. I experienced what I later heard referred to as brain burn. I had no clue what I was doing, so I bought a second-hand copy shortly thereafter to teach myself it and to see if I would like it. I effing LOVED it and still do.

I figured the same would apply to JC 2nd ed, unfortunately after I backed it and looked into playthrough videos, etc, I realised that Wehrle's games (aside from Pax Pamir 2nd ed) are too complex and would require far too many gameplays to wrap my head around the fundamentals and nuances (same goes for Oath). The longer I'm in the hobby the less enthusiasm I have to learn heavy, complex games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, mezike, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds