October 09, 2023
2757 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2905 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
18 Oct 2009 02:24 #44985 by Gary Sax
Michael Barnes wrote:

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE.

Probably the most boring movie I have ever seen in my life. It made THE SORROW AND THE PITY feel briskly paced in comparison. The picture is not made for kids, it's for indie rock hipsters. HUGE mistake. One star, just for the incredible Henson costumes/puppeteering. Terrible, terrible cinema.

I still want to see it. I like Spike Jonze.
The topic has been locked.
More
18 Oct 2009 02:59 #44987 by Space Ghost
Michael Barnes wrote:

Probably the most boring movie I have ever seen in my life. It made THE SORROW AND THE PITY feel briskly paced in comparison. The picture is not made for kids, it's for indie rock hipsters. HUGE mistake. One star, just for the incredible Henson costumes/puppeteering. Terrible, terrible cinema.

I am so relieved that we passed on this. My wife said it looked boring and I said it looked like something marketed to kids but really trying to get the "cool" parents to go see it.

I am glad you took the bullet.
More
18 Oct 2009 07:22 #44988 by KingPut
Space Ghost wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

I am so relieved that we passed on this. My wife said it looked boring and I said it looked like something marketed to kids but really trying to get the "cool" parents to go see it. I am glad you took the bullet.

I second that! Hopefully, the rest of the family movies won't suck this fall and winter (Astro boy, A Christmas Carol, Red Cliff, Mr. Fox, Princess and Frog, Old Dogs, Alvin and Chipmunks).
More
18 Oct 2009 10:29 #44993 by ubarose
We saw Where the Wild Things Are last night. I wouldn't say it was boring. As Spike Jonze said, it's not a children's movie, it's a movie about childhood... if you were an angry, depressed, frightened, alienated child. It was brilliant up to the point Max got into the boat. From the first opening shots it captured the raw, ferocious emotions of being that child. However, once Max arrived on the island, the movie lost it's way and it's energy, and became too specific, too meandering, too heavy handed with messages, too gentle.

The Spawn asked to leave several time during the movie. She declared it was the most horrible movie she had ever seen. It was too sad and too intense for her. Normally I would try to explain such movies to her, however this time I was content with the evidence that she did not identify at all with Max or any of the Wild Things. I concluded that this was evidence that she was a basically happy, well adjusted kid without a lot of baggage. How we managed to do that is a mystery to me.

On the other hand, my parents found it interesting, and after watching it commented that they now understand several events from our childhood, including why and how the oar ended up lodged in the bedroom door.
More
18 Oct 2009 10:51 #44994 by Shellhead
I loved the book Where the Wild Things Are when I was a kid, but I was wary of the idea of a movie version. Spike Jonze is definitely an interesting choice for director, and it got a great review in The Onion. But why do the promo shots keep showing the kid talking to the one Wild Thing while standing in a desert? It doesn't look interesting if that's what they're leading with.
More
18 Oct 2009 11:09 #44995 by KingPut
ubarose wrote:

On the other hand, my parents found it interesting, and after watching it commented that they now understand several events from our childhood, including why and how the oar ended up lodged in the bedroom door.

This is exactly why I personally wanted to see Where the Wild Things Are. But I'm afraid my spawns will have the same reaction as their cousin. So I'll wait for DVD on this one.
More
18 Oct 2009 11:29 #44996 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

But why do the promo shots keep showing the kid talking to the one Wild Thing while standing in a desert? It doesn't look interesting if that's what they're leading with.

The book is so sparse that I am sure each of us has our own interpretation. However, I will risk imposing mine as a jumping off point. To me, the book was about how it feels when a child becomes overwhelmed by anger and/or other emotions. The child has no control over the emotions, and becomes out of control and wild, which is frightening and seductive at the same time. The adrenaline is pumping, the child is sent to his room. Still out of control the child tantrums, broods, sulks, cries, has wild thoughts, hates, feels persecuted, feels unloved, feels monstrous and unlovable and doesn't fucking care. Eventually the child wears himself out, the adrenaline drains out of him, he regains control over himself and is able to say "Stop!" He returns to himself and everything is okay again. He is forgiven and perhaps has learned that he has the ability to be the master of his own emotions and behavior.

The problem with the movie is that the majority of it occurs after Max has worn himself out and is a long drawn our exploration of alienation, loneliness, family, depression, abandonment, blah, blah blah blah. In other words, it's about Max chatting with depressed monsters in the desert trying to help them heal.
More
18 Oct 2009 11:34 #44997 by Michael Barnes
WTWTA isn't about being 9 years old as it seems. It's about being a dysfunctionial adult and hyperanalyizing the simple, everyday magic of childhood to the point that even the joy of imagination emerges as something broken. That stripped all if the greatness of the book away. There is so much cheap metaphor in the picture that by the time Max winds up inside one of them (the mother figure, of course), it's almost laughably pretentious.

There was zero drama and barely any narrative events in the entire picture. No kid wants to sit through 90 minutes of what looks like an amateur hunting video.
More
18 Oct 2009 11:58 #44998 by ubarose
Michael Barnes wrote:

WTWTA isn't about being 9 years old as it seems. It's about being a dysfunctionial adult and hyperanalyizing the simple, everyday magic of childhood to the point that even the joy of imagination emerges as something broken. That stripped all if the greatness of the book away. There is so much cheap metaphor in the picture that by the time Max winds up inside one of them (the mother figure, of course), it's almost laughably pretentious.

There was zero drama and barely any narrative events in the entire picture. No kid wants to sit through 90 minutes of what looks like an amateur hunting video.

Yeah. That pretty much nails it. Although I would add that Max isn't disfunctional. He's a pretty normal kid. The movie then layers on a bunch of crap that judges him and communicates to the audience that his psyche is some how broken. Seriously, kids can lose it over dropping a cookie, or not winning a game. No jungian analysis required. Children just feel and react and dream.
More
19 Oct 2009 09:31 - 19 Oct 2009 09:33 #45026 by Shellhead
This is a trivial complaint in the overall scheme of things, but... a desert? My vague recollection of Where the Wild Things Are seems to include a jungle or at least a dense forest. I realize that there wasn't a lot of story there, but couldn't they use what they found? Or is a desert just more convenient for purposes of green screen, CGI and moving the cameras around?
Last edit: 19 Oct 2009 09:33 by Shellhead.
More
19 Oct 2009 09:50 #45029 by Hatchling
Deserts oscillate between very hot and very cold. I wonder if that is bludgeoning symbolism for the 'ups and down of childhood'.
More
19 Oct 2009 11:56 #45040 by Black Barney
did I mention how good Zombieland was?
More
19 Oct 2009 12:13 #45045 by Michael Barnes
Re:What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 2 Hours, 35 Minutes ago
This is a trivial complaint in the overall scheme of things, but... a desert? My vague recollection of Where the Wild Things Are seems to include a jungle or at least a dense forest. I realize that there wasn't a lot of story there, but couldn't they use what they found? Or is a desert just more convenient for purposes of green screen, CGI and moving the cameras around?

Yes, the book is filled to bursting with these evocative, beautiful and slightly mysterious images of a jungle. There's no desert, and certainly nothing that looks like the woods outside my house. I didn't really think about the desert thing, but yeah, it makes no sense.

Actually, it does. If their goal was to take all of the beauty and fantasy out of the book and replace it with maudlin sadness and desolation, mission fucking accomplished.

Thinking about it some more over the weekend and seeing how some folks are having these doe-eyed reactions to the film and rhapsodizing about how profound and moving it is because of the way it dissects childhood down to an assembly of neuroses, I've come to realize that the film is going to touch a lot of people for whom childhood has died. I'm still a kid at heart, I think about things like kids do sometimes, and I feel like I'm still youthful and in touch with what it is like to be nine. I understand it, and what I don't understand is just the intangible magic of childhood. This movie takes all that away and tries to explain to people who's childhoods have died why kids act like kids.

It's a tragedy that this isn't a kids film. Kids need great movies that aren't insulting, condescending, or that serve solely as a vehicle for licensed character goods. This could have been it, but instead we've got a bad Woody Allen movie with monster suits.
More
19 Oct 2009 12:43 #45048 by jeb
Haven't seen it yet, but will try to. I've got kids, so I've read the book several dozen times. Probably a couple of hundred by now.

When the book was originally released, everyone's shit was lost because Sendak showed that kids are complicated, especially when up to no good. Prior to WTWTA, literature for children focused on saccharine idylls and loving families--any mischief was reserved for animals. Compare MADELINE's "little girls all in two rows" and CURIOUS GEORGE. (You can make a case for ELOISE breaking ground here, but she was a spoiled rich kid living in the Plaza--Max lives next door to you.) Not only that, but Sendak surrounded a child with grotesque monsters with savage claws and teeth--you didn't see that in PEANUTS.

Anyway, here's the way I read the book. Max is nine, gets sugared up and goes nuts. He's punished. He refocuses all that energy inward and takes his leave of home and comfort for an adventure across the sea in a land of monsters. Max quickly tames them because he's so awesome and is (naturally) made king. Rumpus, and then he's done. As quickly as he conjured them, he dismisses them without mercy--Max stepped into his private boat and says goodbye. I read this as punctuated: Max-stepped-into-his-private-boat-and-says-goodbye. There's no tearful farewell, he just drops them like a bag of dirt. All that out of his system he returns home, where the hate he has for his mother for putting him in timeout is replaced by love for having dinner all ready to eat.

To me, Sendak nails the selfishness of being adolescent. Max wants to tear shit up, Max metes out punishment just like his Mom--it's no big thing. Max doesn't like being told what to do, so he leaves. Max doesn't want to be king anymore, so he bails. The inner life of an adolescent is so focused on themselves, it's not even that they are ignorant of other's views--those views don't even exist. Maybe, right at the end, we start to see Max come out of this. His little smile at his dinner and the fact that it's still hot make him see something of the love his family has for him, despite the shenanigans.

So will I like it?
More
19 Oct 2009 12:58 #45051 by Michael Barnes
Some of that _is_ there, but do you remember the monsters being depressed, sad, lonely, and exhibiting a bizarre and awkward mixture of adult and child emotions and sentiments?

How about a weird quasi-romantic relationship between two of the monsters that represent Max/his absent father and Max's sister/mother? Remember that piece? Or how about the goat wild thing constantly being sad and depressed because no one listens to him. Or the owls that represent teenagers. Remember those? Me neither. It's all really kind of fucked up, confused, and like I said, awkward. And not in the book- too much effort was made to extend the book into a larger story with a lot of stupidly complicated ADULT emtions, which undermines the point of the book to begin with.

Oh, and this bit:

There's no tearful farewell

I'm going to spoil it, but there is TOTALLY a tearful farewell in this one.

You're absolutely right about the book and what it is...but what it is too is something very simple and uncomplicated.

I seriously can't imagine children liking the movie at all...there is just nothing in it that I can see appealing to kids beyond the first 10 minutes of watching the monsters run around in the woods. There's a point about 45 minutes into it where I was literally yearning for the movie to end because NOTHING interesting was happening and the novelty of seeing the costumes had worn off.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds