October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
23 May 2015 09:29 #202861 by hotseatgames
Watched Wolf Cop on Netflix last night. As it turns out, it's about a cop, and he's a wolf.

It's also surprisingly watchable.
The topic has been locked.
More
24 May 2015 16:39 - 24 May 2015 16:41 #202886 by Tim Champlin
Saw Tomorrowland this weekend. I don't get what all of the negative reviews are going on about. It was a joy to watch and reinforces Brad Bird as one of my favorite directors. Cornyat times? absolutely. But Disney, right?
Last edit: 24 May 2015 16:41 by Tim Champlin.
More
24 May 2015 16:59 #202887 by stormseeker75
Had to choose between The Avengers and Mad Max. My girlfriend chose The Avengers. I blame her.

It was alright. It felt a bit convoluted and disjointed. I expect the director's cut to fix that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
24 May 2015 17:27 #202888 by KingPut

Tim Champlin wrote: Saw Tomorrowland this weekend. I don't get what all of the negative reviews are going on about. It was a joy to watch and reinforces Brad Bird as one of my favorite directors. Cornyat times? absolutely. But Disney, right?

I took one of my spawns to Tommorowland Saturday and enjoyed It a lot more than I thought I would. It reminded me of some classic teen summer hits from the 1970s and 80s. ET, Magic Mountain, the goonies, etc. Perfect for ages 10 - 14.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza
More
25 May 2015 22:26 #202932 by Tim Champlin
I can definfitely see this as a really popular movies for kids as they grow up. Excited to see this with my son in a few years.
More
27 May 2015 08:22 #202999 by charlest
Watched Ex Machina based on Barney's recommendation and I enjoyed it. Kind of reminded me of a full length episode of Black Mirror, not just because one of the main characters also appeared on Black Mirror.
More
27 May 2015 09:44 #203002 by Black Barney
You sure it was me that recommended it? I haven't seen it yet :(

I hear it's great tho. I think the only thing I said about the movie on these boards is that I'm attracted to that robot
More
27 May 2015 10:09 #203006 by charlest
Ok, maybe you didn't then. Someone here DID, as that's the only reason I remembered to even check it out. I assumed it was you because while you do have poor taste in avatars, you do seem to have mostly good taste in film.

The robot is pretty attractive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
27 May 2015 10:20 #203009 by Grudunza
Yeah, that was me, and I also had mentioned the Black Mirror parallel. It's great, though, isn't it? Barney should totally watch it and then recommend it, himself.

I may go see it again next week. Or Mad Max again. Or both again. Nothing new that seems worth seeing... Maybe Aloha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, charlest
More
27 May 2015 10:40 #203010 by Black Barney
yeah, I really want to see it but I have to see Mad Max first.

There's also a new Kurt Kobain documentary that's supposed to be amazing.
More
27 May 2015 13:01 #203028 by charlest

Grudunza wrote: Yeah, that was me, and I also had mentioned the Black Mirror parallel. It's great, though, isn't it? Barney should totally watch it and then recommend it, himself.

I may go see it again next week. Or Mad Max again. Or both again. Nothing new that seems worth seeing... Maybe Aloha.

Definitely excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.
More
27 May 2015 15:14 #203037 by Egg Shen
Watched Stuart Gordon's Dagon last night. I had picked up the DVD a year ago and never got around to watching it. I got bored, scanned the DVD rack a few times and landed on Dagon. I figured that Gordon has at least made Lovecraft entertaining with both From Beyond and Re-animator...so I had high hopes that at the very least the movie would be crazy.

Overall, I thought the film was pretty good. It's a B movie in just about every way. You're not going to recognize anyone, it was filmed in Spain so lots of the actors are Spanish, the special effects are kinda cheesy. The film follows the basic premise of Shadows over Innsmouth pretty closely. As a fan of the story I dug seeing where this adaption would go. It remains faithful, but it's more in your face and over the top than anything Lovecraft ever penned.

The film has a couple of shoddy CGI scares, but it surprisingly has a ton of practical effect work. Lots of slithery tentacles and fish people. I loved seeing all of that. It also had a couple of super sexy Spanish honeys, which never hurts. There is one grisly, SUPER bloody, fucked up scene that floored me. I can imagine most people would be completely appalled by it.

Good little flick and I'm glad I finally watched it. While it follows the story and premise of Lovecraft, it sort of does it's own thing. Still worth a watch for Lovecraft fans though. Don't expect a masterpiece though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD
More
28 May 2015 02:07 #203057 by Grudunza
The Thing on cable... The gore/alien FX range from being decent to kind of laughable, so in that sense this is overdue for a remake. But the setting and paranoia and writing/acting still hold up really well.
More
28 May 2015 10:36 #203064 by Green Lantern
Interstellar - enjoyed the performances and the core theme but boy was this one at least an hour too long, and the concept of time/space/wormhole plot devices was not convincing or very well thought out

Fury - I'd take a pass on this one unless you happen to love war stories. Kinda felt like a watered down version of Saving Private Ryan but without the tension or character work. Pretty sure I'll utterly forget about this one by tomorrow.
More
28 May 2015 11:29 #203066 by Black Barney

Grudunza wrote: The Thing on cable... The gore/alien FX range from being decent to kind of laughable, so in that sense this is overdue for a remake. But the setting and paranoia and writing/acting still hold up really well.

Are you talking about the recent remake or the remake from the 80s with Russell?

The recent one is decent but not nearly as good the one from Carpenter. But the recent one has a really cute lead female :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.445 seconds