October 09, 2023
2584 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2781 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Jan 2021 15:56 #318368 by mtagge
We went for a Discovery+ subscription and have been enjoying the hell out of it. My problem is that I'll start watching something and say to myself that my boys would enjoy watching it with me and so end up waiting on everything (I've been on vacation for a while and start back up at work next week). I spent the extra two bucks for no commercials and it is an outstanding value. Frankly if this is what the a la carte streaming world that replaces cable subs turns out to be it'll be great. There are no movies, but there is a large amount of back catalog from about a dozen or so channels.

We've been flitting back and forth between-
Good Eats-The Alton Brown classic, cooking show with a heavy dose of the science behind the madness.
Various Ed Stafford survival shows-He's an British ex-army special forces guy who drops in various locales buck naked and tries to not just survive, but thrive for at least 10 days. One of the shows was a 60 day stint in a deserted Fijian island.
Prophets of Science Fiction-Bunch of documentaries of pivotal sci-fi writers.
How to Build Everything-A look at the components that go into a lot of complicated machinery presented by interviews with science educators/comedians.
Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe-The classic!
Mythbusters-needs no introduction
Property Brother's Forever Home-A pair of twins interviews a family with a $150,000 renovation budget and gives them a "dream reno".
Some series about the evolution of various modern weapons. For example takes the history of the sniper rifle all the way from the American revolution and those sharp shooters through to today.

There is a lot of fluff that I'll never even consider (Dr. Pimple Popper) and I wish there was more back catalog (I remember watching Tales of the Gun back in the 90's) but this is exactly what a streaming service that replaces cable should be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2021 11:44 #318394 by Sagrilarus
I need to watch the Dirty Jobs episode for playing baseball. My family and I are likely in it. We were there when they filmed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, mtagge

More
27 Jan 2021 13:14 #318401 by jason10mm

mtagge wrote: -
Good Eats-The Alton Brown classic, cooking show with a heavy dose of the science behind the madness.

Ah, thats where GE is. About the only cooking show i enjoyed as much as GE is Favareus show on netflix. Alton unfortunately has assumed an odd on screen persona in his later shows the really limits his charm IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
28 Jan 2021 14:23 #318478 by Jexik
I'm a bit late to watching the Mandalorian - saw both seasons in the last few weeks. I liked it a fair bit, (to the point that I got nostalgic for playing X-wing again and wondering if they've got a Razorcrest mini anywhere) but I wonder where the heck they go in Season 3. Seemed like things kinda wrapped up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Jan 2021 14:54 #318484 by ChristopherMD
I'm watching Fringe for the 5th time. Wearing headphones this time and despite seeing it all already I swear there's a ton of dialog I never noticed before.

More
28 Jan 2021 15:04 #318486 by Michael Barnes
LOOOOOOL y’all talking about Good Eats...my wife was an art director on that show, Alton Brown was her boss for years. Most of the props, puppets, graphics, set pieces and so forth you see on the show were designed/built by her and a couple of guys she still works with. I actually wrote an episode but they wound up not shooting most of my script. “Green Beans”. I had a killer Wrath of Khan joke in there.

My wife is actually in a bunch of episodes...she’s the water fairy in the refrigerator in the water episode, in the macho one she’s one of the tourists, in the hot sauce one she’s the macho dude’s wife. Most of the side characters were crew.

She also did graphic design and layout on the Good Eats books.

I’ve met Mr. Brown a couple of times, he never remembers me. The studio was amazing, they had an incredible kitchen of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, allismom3, Msample, mtagge, Nodens, Pugnax555, DarthJoJo

More
28 Jan 2021 17:48 #318504 by Msample
I always wanted one of those dinosaur head spray bottles he used.

More
28 Jan 2021 20:26 #318506 by mtagge

Michael Barnes wrote: LOOOOOOL y’all talking about Good Eats...my wife was an art director on that show, Alton Brown was her boss for years. Most of the props, puppets, graphics, set pieces and so forth you see on the show were designed/built by her and a couple of guys she still works with. I actually wrote an episode but they wound up not shooting most of my script. “Green Beans”. I had a killer Wrath of Khan joke in there.

My wife is actually in a bunch of episodes...she’s the water fairy in the refrigerator in the water episode, in the macho one she’s one of the tourists, in the hot sauce one she’s the macho dude’s wife. Most of the side characters were crew.

She also did graphic design and layout on the Good Eats books.

I’ve met Mr. Brown a couple of times, he never remembers me. The studio was amazing, they had an incredible kitchen of course.

That's. . . AWESOME!!!

Good Eats is one of the greatest shows ever made, perhaps the greatest non-fiction show ever. Thanks for your contribution.

More
29 Jan 2021 14:03 #318536 by RobertB
In the middle of the second season of Blown Away. I didn't think I'd be interest in a glassblowing reality series, but then I didn't think curling would be all that interesting either. It has the same sort of feel that Great British Baking Show does, with one or two contestants being a little more abrasive than the run-of-the-mill, "Just happy to be here," contestant.

Glassblowing is fascinating to me, but even if I nerved myself up to try it, I'd have to wait for a while . It's not exactly a craft that you can take up when you're shut in.

More
29 Jan 2021 15:15 #318546 by Gary Sax
Finally spent the 7 bucks on Disney Plus, so I'm watching the two seasons of the Mandalorian. It's very good, as you all said in the discussion upthread... though I must say I'd rather they didn't return to any character or location touchstones of the original series, prequels, etc and just did their own thing. It's better when the stories remain on the outskirts of the universe they made, rather than any wink wink "remember the movies???" Though that is tastefully limited.

It's incredible how far CGI has come as a movie and TV tool rather than a spectacle. The use of CGI in Mandalorian is probably, along with better writing and limiting the scope to a serialized western, what makes this thing work so well. I was reading about how they shot the show, with actual 3d on-set modeled screens of what the actors would act with and around... it's just light years better than most green screened CGI things. It feels casual in a really good way.

As a character note, I don't think having him only wear armor helps the show, honestly. I get all their lore and canon reasons to do it but I think it limits what they can do a lot. The character is basically exactly the same as Raylan Givens in Justified (compliment, actually, though that show went on way past its ideas) and I was thinking how much more they could do with this show if it just had a person as the main character rather than an armor guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jexik, Nodens

More
29 Jan 2021 18:08 #318554 by Michael Barnes
The helmet thing leads to a couple of really awesome scenes.

You might be disappointed as it goes on, it is definitely a Star Wars...but I think what it does is really well done. I loved both seasons but man; the second season just hits the gas and blows through the roof. I think it’s easily the best SW has been at least since the better Clone Wars episodes. As a whole I think it’s on par with the best SW has ever been.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Jexik, Gregarius

More
29 Jan 2021 21:14 #318564 by ChristopherMD
I like the helmet in a Judge Dredd kind of way. But he's taken if off in front of people multiple times now so fuck the creed.

More
29 Jan 2021 22:11 #318565 by Gary Sax
It has this tight balance to walk between being a bit darker sci-fi that fits a little better into 2020s aesthetics and audience mood while still injecting the Star Wars fun, light comedy, and zaniness. On that front I think it does a really good job, maybe one of the only good jobs, in updating Star Wars for the 2000s.

More
30 Jan 2021 04:57 #318569 by Nodens
In the middle od season two I really like how it's chugging along. Only wondering about the locations.
Don't know if I read it here or where I read it, but for a godforsaken and dull backwater planet that's as far from the centre as you can get, there sure is a lot happening on Tattoine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jan 2021 23:54 #318607 by KingPut
Top COVID-19 shows:
1. Ted Lasso - for all sports fans
2. Queen’s Gambit - For all gamers
3. Curb your enthusiasm- Sinfield fans
4. Outlander- For Sex and adventure
Others I enjoyed: Turn, Last airbender, Americans, Medices, liberators, Black Sails, the crown, Letterkenny, Mandalrian, Rebellion
Not through yet: Wanda Vision, Morning Show

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds