October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Best Albums of 2013

More
10 Jan 2014 14:35 #169649 by Michael Barnes
OK, I need to revise my best records of the year list. "Manifest Decimation" by Power Trip has got to be on there. I mentioned it in Barnestorming but I've been listening to it nonstop for the past 24 hours. OMG, it RULES. It is pure thrash metal but with hardcore's breakneck velocity. It's got a little Discharge/Broken Bones to it. It has great, memorable riffs (Something a lot of metal acts struggle with). It is music for MOSHING. God damn it, it is GREAT. I may have to dust off the bullet belt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2014 14:40 #169650 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re: Best Albums of 2013
Alright, with all this talk of best metal albums of the year, which ones would be suitable soundtracks for Cave Evil (which should arrive on my doorstep next week)?

More
11 Jan 2014 08:02 #169686 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re: Best Albums of 2013
my top 10

California X - s/t
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Kim Baxter - The Tale of Me & You
Washed Out - Paracosm
Dick Diver - Calendar Days
King Khan & the Shrines - Idle No More
Football, Etc. - Audible
Wild Moth - Over, Again
Makthaversakn - Makthaverskan II
Kurt Vile - Wakin on A Pretty Daze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
11 Jan 2014 08:03 #169687 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re: Best Albums of 2013

Schweig! wrote: I like Moss Icon a lot, but wouldn't subject any unwilling person to it.

hey thanks, you're not so bad yourself. and i wouldn't subject myself to anyone unwilling either, that'd be rude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!, Black Barney

More
11 Jan 2014 11:51 #169691 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: Best Albums of 2013

bfkiller wrote: Alright, with all this talk of best metal albums of the year, which ones would be suitable soundtracks for Cave Evil (which should arrive on my doorstep next week)?

I would think older albums would go better with that game, like Celtic Frost- To Mega Therion, Bathory- Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Demilich - Nespithe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
12 Jan 2014 01:25 #169709 by lfisher
Replied by lfisher on topic Re: Best Albums of 2013
What do people think of Ghost - Infestissumam ?

Your comments about the metal bands and persona made me think of them.

More
28 Jan 2014 19:04 #170881 by sgosaric
Replied by sgosaric on topic Re: Best Albums of 2013
Heck I don't post often at these forums. But I feel like talking about music.

One thing is that american indie scene I just can't get, though I try. In the end I usually end up listening to Canadians... (Destroyer, Crystal Castles, Cadence Weapon). I'm still sifting through 2013 crop - usually I devote january to catching up on music from previous year.

What has popped up so far - it's kinda weird, but seems to be a comeback year for many ("older") artists.

1. Goldfrapp - Tales of Us.

I more or less gave up on her after the debur (which was brilliant) then comes this a sort of reprise, yet both more conceptual and atmospheric. Like songs to nonexisting B&W film. Probably German. Lyrics aren't as multifaceted, rather they're just a stroke in the atmospheric painting.

2. Arcitic Monkeys - AM

Again a band I pretty much ignored after their (awesome) debut. But whereas I can still listen to Goldfrapp's debut, theirs is so teenage centric I find it hard to relate to being a decade older. AM brings that up to speed with being a bit more grown up (not a lot, but they're rock stars). It's probably very unamerican album - catch beats and dancable but not really "rock-ey". Which is why I can listen to it - I like crisp clean sound.

3. Deltron 3030 - Event II

Jury's still out. But the original Deltron 3030 album was my discovery of the year, after I've ignored it on many occasions. And it also led to re-evaluation of Gorillaz Plastic Beach and Damon's african project. But Deltron 3030 is where it's at - futuristic epics. Event II isn't as good, but decent, and I usually listen to both albums in one go.

4. AlunaGeorge - Body Music

Look, if you yanks can listen to Kanye West, I can listen to this. I'm so not listening. I mean to you. I really don't know why I like this, but I think it's the beats.

Sounds promising but still evaluating:

- Zomby - With Love. Uhm, I'm not sure. I really liked Dedication and this is similar, yet, hm, I need more time with it.
- Then following stuff from two "kids" - geeky rapper Milo and german classical/crossover pianist Nils Frahm
- Kurt Vile - Walking on Pretty Daze. I kinda liked the previous album and this one seems better, didn't get around to listen to it yet.
- Hiatus Kaiyote - Tawk Tomahawk. Some futuristic soul from Australia. Released in 2012 though, but stupid us didn't found it till now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds