October 09, 2023
2526 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Which Stand Up Comedians are you enjoying?

More
13 Sep 2011 23:03 - 13 Sep 2011 23:04 #103319 by OldHippy

dave wrote: I should also mention that I was a big fan of Ellen Degeneres back in the day. Was glad to see her folksy charm bring her bigger and better things. Including Portia de Rossi, of course.

She had this "people are stupid" bit back in the eighties that I loved. It was about people asking for change and reading letters with dumb comments on the bottom, going to the bathroom and someone walking in on you... Watched it over and over again. It was fantastic. I never cared for either of her shows (or her stand up special after the fame) but that young material was great. She has natural charm and now that she does that shit talk show people seem to have forgotten how funny she used to be.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dave Chapelle. That one special where he talks about Aids coming from Monkeys and crazy people on busses was awesome!
Last edit: 13 Sep 2011 23:04 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2011 15:48 #103367 by Million Dollar Mimring
Dave Chapelle is awesome. His two albums along with the two seasons of his show – honestly, screw the lost episodes – provide a lot of smart commentary about race relations in America. Clayton Bigsby has to be one of smartest and funniest comedy sketches I have ever seen. The race draft also ranks way up there.

Chapelle also does self-deprecating humor really well. He never shys away from making himself, or a character he played, the punch-line of the joke.

More
14 Sep 2011 16:16 #103374 by Gary Sax
I do think it's interesting that Chapelle himself now questions the social responsibility of some of his stuff, and that was part of why he quit doing the show. IIRC Something about one of his crew laughing at a racial sketch and him thinking that he wasn't laughing at the joke, but along with the cruel racism of the sketch.

That said, the show was brilliant.

More
14 Sep 2011 20:35 #103405 by OldHippy

Gary Sax wrote: I do think it's interesting that Chapelle himself now questions the social responsibility of some of his stuff, and that was part of why he quit doing the show. IIRC Something about one of his crew laughing at a racial sketch and him thinking that he wasn't laughing at the joke, but along with the cruel racism of the sketch.

That said, the show was brilliant.

I've heard him talk about this and while I partially understand I'm also entirely un-sympathetic to his point of view on it. I find that most comedians, especially today, can have people laughing for the wrong reasons. That can happen with philosohpy, religion, corporate work... pretty much anything can be misunderstood and twisted around if your rhetoric skills are up to snuff. I don't give a fuck what Roland Barth says, authorial intention still means a lot to me.

More
15 Sep 2011 03:32 #103432 by caradoc
Bill Bailey is one comedian I absolutely love.

Aside from that Dara O'Briain, Gervais, Ed Byrne, Dylan Moran and others are also fun to listen to.

Cheers,

Giles.

More
15 Sep 2011 09:39 #103440 by mads b.
Having people laugh for the wrong reasons is a real concern for a comedian. I have a lot of jokes where I seem to bash immigrants, for instance, but it's really just a way of illustrating how stupid some of the immigration laws we have in Denmark are. And every now and then I get the feeling that people laugh because they agree with my put on attitude rather than the message behind. It's really disconcerting, but not something that will keep me from doing my jokes.

In my most recent show I did some bits about homosexuals and third world countries where I said stuff no sane person would agree with. But especially when testing the bits at an open mike - that is where I had no time to show the audience who I really am before launching into radical stuff - I got the distinct feeling that people weren't sure if I meant it or not. And that makes for a really interesting atmosphere and not only in a bad way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
26 Sep 2011 03:18 #104368 by Ancient_of_MuMu
My daughter's school carnival is coming up in a couple of weeks and they just announced all the details, and in addition to the standard second-hand furniture and jams for sale, they have a few of the parents doing stand up comedy. In normal situations this would be something to avoid like the plague, watching a couple of parents who think they are funny try and maintain a routine and an audience. However my daughter's school is on one tip of the "Golden Triangle" for the Arts in Melbourne, and so the line-up is actually very good and the fact that you have to pay extra to watch the gig means that it will probably be one of the biggest money spinners on the day.

For the Aussies there, they will appreciate that for $15, this is a very good line-up of comedians and something we will attend: Brian Nankervis, Robyn Butler, Tony Martin, Greg Fleet, Yon from Tripod, Wayne Hope, Bob Franklin, Felicity Ward

More
26 Sep 2011 13:25 #104380 by stormseeker75
We saw Patrice O'Neal over the weekend. Funny dude. He goes for the white people/black people humor and does it incredibly well. My wife just loved it.

More
07 Feb 2012 02:04 #115484 by OldHippy

stormseeker75 wrote: We saw Patrice O'Neal over the weekend. Funny dude. He goes for the white people/black people humor and does it incredibly well. My wife just loved it.

Unfortunately Patrice O'Neal just passed away in November. A sad day for comedy fans as he was an excellent story teller and comedian, albeit a little bit sexist. Still a great talent none the less. His first album is due out this month if you feel like helping to support his family. I know I will.

I picked up some albums lately.

Todd Barry: A post Steven Wright comedian who has a real dead pan delivery and has some pretty good jokes. Flight of the Conchord fans might recognize him as the guy who invented the Crazy Dog dance.

Paul F Tompkins: A really good story teller and a pretty excellent comedian.

Harland Williams: He only has one album but it is better then the previous two guys album, a really, really excellent disc. I caught myself laughing in public too many times. Listening to comedy on the iPhone can be pretty embarrassing sometimes.

More
07 Feb 2012 02:17 #115489 by bfkiller
Norm MacDonald was just in Regina but I procrastinated too long and missed out on tickets (wasn't sure if I'd be in town). Too bad. He's been my favorite comedian since well before his SNL days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
07 Feb 2012 02:22 #115490 by OldHippy

bfkiller wrote: Norm MacDonald was just in Regina but I procrastinated too long and missed out on tickets (wasn't sure if I'd be in town). Too bad. He's been my favorite comedian since well before his SNL days.

He's my favorite too, by far. I've seen him three times including once during his yuk yuk days pre SNL. He did the weiner dog bit, it used to be my favorite. His recent podcast on WTF was fascinating. Best WTF interview I've heard yet. Not that funny but surprising to find out what matters to him now. Too bad you missed that show he's in peak form these days.

More
07 Feb 2012 02:41 - 07 Feb 2012 02:44 #115493 by ZMan
I used to follow comics way back when. I am totally clueless on any of the new ones. The some I do know I like some of their bits but overall am not crazy about them. Here is my list of stand up comics I like (and I am only referring to their routines, not their acting).

Old school - living or dead
Woody Allen. Sorry, this guy has some of the best written comedy ever.
Steven Wright
Dangerfield
Youngman
Rickles
Phyliss Diller
Joan Rivers
Carl Ballantine - I love comic magicians (or funny magicians).
George Carlin - especially his Toledo Window Box album
Steve Martin
Emo Philips - would be better if he dropped the spaz routine
Mort Sahl
a lot of the Jewish mountain comics
2000 year old man albums (Brooks and Reiner)
Robin Williams - though he was accused many times of stealing material
Jonathan Winters - said to be the "father" of Robin Williams
and many more I am forgetting.

90's or so
Jeff Marder - comedy for both hemispheres of the brain. Only saw his bits on tv when comedy club shows were hot on tv. Best line: When cows laugh, does milk come out of their noses?
Amazing Jonathan - see Carl Ballantine
Tim Allen
Harry Anderson (somewhat. Ok, I have a soft spot for magicians)
Dennis Wolfberg (deceased)
many more I'm forgetting
Jim Carrey - good impersonations using his rubber-like face
Steve Mittleman
Peter Potofsky (I think that is his name. He beats himself up on stage. Great slapstick). You can see him in The Aristocrats briefly (hitting himself witha chair and doing a flip to the floor)
BTW, I highly recommend seeing The Aristocrats. There you'll see some great comics.

Recent:
Wendy Liebman
Sarah Silverman (some of her stuff)
Chris Rock
Izzard - I only really like the Darth Vader at the Death Star cafeteria routine
Hal Sparks - the one routine where he wants to change the term you call someone for being scared or weak
and damn if I really like anyone else. Or remember anyone else. Most of the ones I see have some funny stuff here and there but aren ot consistent. Also, I do not like observation humor and that is the stuff of _many_ comics. Don't tell me what I already know, tell me what you know!

Yes, I am a comedy snob.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2012 02:44 by ZMan. Reason: I am remembering names
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, engineer Al

More
07 Feb 2012 07:03 #115511 by Ryan B.
Mitch Hedberg is obviously awesome. I like Sara Silverman too. Craig Ferguson is funny but there is another guy from Scotland who is awesome too. His name is Danny Bhoy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds