October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

One Day Suspension from BGG

More
06 Nov 2011 03:02 #107347 by tscook
I nominate you for "Trying Hardest".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2011 16:40 #107422 by Jexik
I'd never heard of "plonking" before.

It should become the new screenshot phenomenon here.

More
07 Nov 2011 16:48 #107424 by OldHippy
I hate plonking and refuse to do it. I tried once just to see what they looked like. A collapsed comment?? There is no way I could resist opening that. I would have to see it.

That's not including the fact that to me it's like just putting your head in the sand: "I don't hear you, I don't hear you."

Nope, not for me.

More
07 Nov 2011 17:21 #107430 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: One Day Suspension from BGG
It's not "I don't see you," it's "Here Be Dragons." If I wander into a thread and see a two or three collapsed posts, I know I should back away slowly as known malefactors are present.

More
07 Nov 2011 17:42 #107436 by Bullwinkle
I more or less plonked BGG. Solves all problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
07 Nov 2011 23:03 #107478 by Black Barney
Ken and I once talked about this and JJ is right on, you can't resist opening smashed comments, it's too tempting because you know there's a dead body in there and you gotta see it, you gotta touch it.

Far more effective but only used in some spots (Facebook for one) is the complete and utterly effective IGNORE feature. Where you don't even know they exist. The posts don't even show up, the comments don't even show up. There are no collapsed forum posts with a keyhole begging you to look.

People argue that it makes zero sense because all of a sudden a thread conversation makes no sense due to a missing link but I think you can live with that for the ever lasting peace. For the 7 days I was on facebook before imploding my account, I never noticed the people I shunned. They were posting surely in some of the walls i was posting in, but I didn't know they were there.

It was bliss.

More
08 Nov 2011 16:45 #107506 by mikecl

Black Barney wrote: Far more effective but only used in some spots (Facebook for one) is the complete and utterly effective IGNORE feature. Where you don't even know they exist.

....It was bliss.

Yes and BGG also has that feature. Next to a user's name is a little drop down box and you can "hide" their posts. You never see them except when someone else quotes them. And I've now done that. And you're right Barney. It is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

More
08 Nov 2011 16:51 #107508 by TheDukester

Bullwinkle wrote: I more or less plonked BGG. Solves all problems.

LOL — nice one.

I haven't gone quite that far yet, although I have effectively "plonked" the general forums and all areas of the site that aren't specifically addressing what I'm interested in (a handful of certain games, iOS stuff, etc.). By staying out of all the general nonsense there, I avoid many of the 15th-level d-bags and I'm not tempted to add some snarky commentary. And MMM is not tempted to apply the Ban Hammer. Everyone wins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, jeb, Fallen

More
08 Nov 2011 22:38 #107543 by Schweig!
BGG plonked me.

More
08 Nov 2011 23:02 #107545 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: One Day Suspension from BGG

Schweig! wrote: BGG plonked me.

Sometimes you're so deep into a disfunctional relationship only the other party can set you free. Be glad the bitch dumped you. It was a gift. A chance to be reborn

More
08 Nov 2011 23:52 - 08 Nov 2011 23:57 #107549 by SGT Dave
I've gotten a couple warning letters. One was daring to upload a file of house rules for a Games Workshop game. The other was submitting some games I saw in China that weren't on the site. I didn't know it, but like everything else in China, the games were re-themed knock-offs of other games. But a moderator came at me like I was the publisher. I was just trying to help their site, and they're talking about legal action. Your welcome for bringing it to your attention.

I used to contribute a lot to BGG; several reviews, pictures, games and publishers. I had my trade rating pretty high. None on my reviews were the slightest bit informative, I just tried to make them funny. Most people got it and gave a little love; even got a few demo games. But there were always those few drama queens that either couldn't tolerate anyone running in the halls of their sanctuary site, or have their pet game made light of, even in jest.

After making a pretty benign, but funny, story about Settlers of Catan, the tread went nuts. I couldn't figure it out. People are OK with a crucifix in a jar of urine, but you can't make a crack at Mayfair Games? I wasn't even dissing the game; I implied the game was merely "OK". You'd think I farted on their Gran-gran's lap. I felt ashamed to be associated with these people.

I was imagining my dad was still alive, and asking me who these punks were, and why was I hanging out with them.

"I don't really know them, Dad. They just followed me home," I reply with my head down.

"OK", he says, "C'mon inside. It's getting dark, Wrasslin's almost over, and Benny Hill's on next."

Actually, that last part with my dad isn't even remotely true, but I was pretty perplexed at how heated and vitriolic the thread became; and mostly why did everyone take this so seriously? I just wanted to tell funny stories about playing games with my kids, but these few bad apples in the forumsphere barrel just wanted attention. Professional internet forum agitators.

So I did the mature thing and deleted my account. Funny how they delete all your contributions, but not the threads that follow. It ends up looking like a crazy guy walking down the street yelling at himself.

I ended up signing up a few months later with a different username because I needed help translating the rules for my huge collection of Chinese, copyright-violating games. But now I'm just a lurker, I swear.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2011 23:57 by SGT Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Notahandle

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds