October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Need recommendation for a Power Jigsaw

More
21 Nov 2011 16:49 - 21 Nov 2011 16:49 #108273 by ubarose
I know some of you are home improvement dudes. I want a new power jigsaw. Amazon has some Black Friday deals plus $20 back on Bosch tools. I'm thinkging of the Bosch Barrel handle because it looks like it would be easy to steer.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2011 16:49 by ubarose. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2011 17:50 #108280 by hotseatgames
I have a Craftsman that I've used a couple of times. I'm no power user, so my needs are not very high end. I'd buy it again.

More
21 Nov 2011 18:01 #108281 by Xlyce
I am not a power user either but I have heard that the barrel ones are easier to use. I have a cheap craftsman that works ok, but I would rather have had the Bosch.

How much are you using it for?

More
21 Nov 2011 18:16 #108282 by Stephen Avery
Bosch is an excellent brand and wistand a lot of abuse. You probably could get away with a less expensive brand though because it will not have to endure the the abuse of prolonged use and outdoor exposure.

Steve"DIYclutz"Avery

More
21 Nov 2011 18:28 - 21 Nov 2011 18:30 #108283 by VonTush
Bosh is a very good high end DIY tool. It has been a while since I've sold them (I used to work the tool department in a local hardware store for five years but that was 10 years ago now) but they have always had a pretty solid reputation. But they fall into a strange middle ground where they're usually out of the price range and too much for random DIY'ers, but a bit lacking for the everyday contractor, so I didn't move a lot of them.

Myself I have a philosophy where I only plan on buying some things once in my lifetime (Drill, jigsaw...etc) so personally I tend to go a little overboard to make sure whatever needs tackling will be tackled. So my personal brand of choice is DeWalt. Milwaukee also makes a great tool...But both of those are contractor grade but if you wanted to go overboard those are the two brands I'd recommend.

Black and Decker and Skil I think are a low of a grade of tool, but they sell a bunch. Longevity isn't their strong point though. Personally I'd never by one myself.

One option to look for is "orbital". The saw blade will move in a small circular motion (if you want it to) which makes the cutting faster if you need to do a quick rip or something where a smooth edge isn't exactly needed.

I've never used a barrel design though so I can't comment on that. It looks like it should give you better torque to turn, but to me it would seem like it would be easier to overturn and snap the blade. That's just my impression though and I have nothing to back that up.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2011 18:30 by VonTush.

More
21 Nov 2011 19:30 #108285 by ubarose
I tend to go a little overboard myself. My phylosophy is that if I'm not a skilled used, I don't want to be fighting my tools.

I'm also now looking at a Makita. It's only 3.9 amps, so it is less powerful, but it is smaller and lighter. I like our Makita drill because it fits my hand. The DeWalt is too big and heavy for me, so if we have to do any drilling that requires a more powerful drill, The Man has to do it.

Mostly I need something to notch out sections, do plunge cuts, cut stuff to fit in right in an old house where nothing is square. The kind of precision cuts that are a pain in the ass and takes forever to do with hand jigsaw.

More
21 Nov 2011 21:28 #108286 by Schweig!
Bosch ist deutsch. Deutsch ist gut.

More
21 Nov 2011 22:01 #108288 by VonTush
Makita is also a good solid brand. One brand to consider that often flies under the radar is Hitachi.

More
21 Nov 2011 22:57 #108292 by ubarose
Deutsch may be good, but they apparently also have really large hands. I stopped at Home Depot to look at the jigsaws and I couldn't hold any of them.

I'm going to stop by Lowes tomorrow to look at the Makita. I'm hoping it's grip is smaller.

More
21 Nov 2011 23:12 #108293 by MattFantastic
Seconding taking a look at Hitachi, they don't seem to get thought of as much as the more big name brands, even if you're only looking at Japanese tools, but I love the stuff I have from them and got them stupid cheap off Amazon. No idea about their jigsaws though and I have pretty big hands and teach climbing so my grip issues are pretty different than yours haha

More
21 Nov 2011 23:17 #108294 by Shellhead
Half a lifetime ago, I worked with my dad's construction crew, which specialized in custom cabinet installations. Even though Buy America was a big deal at the time, every single redneck on our crew was impressed by the performance of the Makita power drill. Don't know if they still make good power tools, but I would keep the brand in mind if I were in the market for a power jigsaw.

More
22 Nov 2011 01:26 - 22 Nov 2011 01:27 #108295 by SuperflyPete

ubarose wrote: I know some of you are home improvement dudes. I want a new power jigsaw. Amazon has some Black Friday deals plus $20 back on Bosch tools. I'm thinkging of the Bosch Barrel handle because it looks like it would be easy to steer.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.

Black and Deckers wear out if you run them too hard (ie, push hard a lot, or use dull blades. Don't buy Harbor Freight's Chicago Tool garbage. I've worn 2 of those out. Same probem - the footplate snaps off. I've had a DeWalt, which is the best tool you can buy. Some fuck stole it out of the back of my truck, but I had it for 3 years and it never died.

I have a Black and Decker one now, 5th or 6th jigsaw, maybe. It stood up to tearing 14 1/2" oak stairnoses off of the tread, and that is no joke kind of work. So, I'd recommend it highly. It has a neat dial that you tell it what kind of material/cuts you want to make and it does the speed for you. It also has the quick on/off tang so you don't need an allen wrench to swap blades.

I will say this: the Bosch blades I have are the best I've ever owned. They're the "T" kind, 20 teeth per inch, cuts clean and the fuckers didn't dull (well, 2 did, 3rd's fine) cutting through 445 linear feet of 1/2 oak. OLD oak. Impressive.

Makita < Ryobi, but both are fine. Bosch > both Makita and Ryobi. DeWalt eats them all alive.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2011 01:27 by SuperflyPete.

More
22 Nov 2011 06:09 #108302 by Space Ghost
I second Pete...I just used a black and Decker for cutting oxidized finished hardwood and had no problems. If you are going with a serious brand, then get DeWalt. And if you are in the market for a mitre saw, theirs is the best I have ever used

More
22 Nov 2011 06:36 #108304 by MattFantastic
I've abused the fuck out of Makita impact drivers over the years doing work in the climbing gyms, things are like tanks. I've seen em dropped from 40-50 feet up and keep on truckin no problem.

More
22 Nov 2011 14:29 #108313 by ubarose
I'm going to take a closer look at the Makita and the Hitachi.

I've had to rule out the Bosch because I found out that the blade is angled forward, with the bottom of the blade ahead of the top. It just isn't designed for what I need it to do. I need precision and agility, rather than speed and strength.

Both the Black & Decker and the Craftsman have low ratings for curved precision cuts, so they are off my list. The DeWalt is too heavy.

The Makita has a couple of bad reviews regarding the blade coming loose, however it also has reviews from folks who said that the instructions regarding how to put the blade in are misleading and result in putting it in wrong which makes it come loose.

I had never heard of Hitachi, but reviews indicate that the ladies like the Hitachi jigsaw. Looks like the grip is designed for a woman's smaller hand and lower center of gravity.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds