October 09, 2023
2632 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2822 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Matt Drake homeless WTF?

More
20 Dec 2011 06:38 - 20 Dec 2011 06:41 #110632 by jur
Matt Drake homeless WTF? was created by jur
So, you burned down your house. What can we do to help?

drakesflames.blogspot.com/2011/12/event-...g-house-on-fire.html
Last edit: 20 Dec 2011 06:41 by jur. Reason: Url
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2011 11:42 #110634 by repoman
Sounds like he's got insurance. He's in a hotel. And most important of all, nobody in his family was hurt.

I go to a lot of car accidents and even though it sounds corny I often tell people who are upset that it sucks but your car can and will be replaced. If nobody went to the hospital consider yourself lucky.

More
20 Dec 2011 12:04 #110636 by mads b.

repoman wrote: I go to a lot of car accidents ...

I usually just go to the movies, but this sounds like more fun in a very morbid kind of way.

Really funny review by Matt, though. But he fails to mention how he rates a house fire - I'm guessing it's a "weak seven" at most.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
20 Dec 2011 12:17 #110638 by repoman

repoman wrote: I go to a lot of car accidents

Comes with the job of being a tow jockey.

More
20 Dec 2011 12:56 #110640 by mads b.
I figured you had a reason, but went for the joke :-)

More
20 Dec 2011 17:59 #110695 by ubarose
I'm so sorry to here this. Blogspot is blocked at work. I gather from the comments that no one was hurt. The stress must be overwhelming.

More
20 Dec 2011 18:01 #110696 by Michael Barnes
Matt, if there's anything I or anyone else here can do to help- let us know. That's like the ultimate nightmare, the Christmas fire!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
20 Dec 2011 18:03 #110697 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Matt Drake homeless WTF?
I've been through a house fire, and it fucking sucks. At best a 3/10. And around the holidays is just about the worst possible time (not as though there's an optimal time for this kinda thing).

More
20 Dec 2011 18:08 #110698 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Matt Drake homeless WTF?
Yeah, I couldn't click through here at work either. Sorry to hear this. Even though insurance can help you get on your feet, it can't replace a lot of things that have more than monetary value. I hope Matt and his family get back on their feet quickly.

More
20 Dec 2011 19:28 #110712 by Schweig!

Monday, December 19, 2011
Event Review - Lighting the House on Fire
In my never-ending quest to bring you reports of interesting things you could do with your weekends, I have found the most fascinating event - burning down your house. Unfortunately, I have to give this a negative review, as I must say it is not nearly as much fun as it sounds.

Honestly, I never meant to review a house fire. I always pretty much assumed it would suck, and I think most people would agree that a house fire is a pretty crappy way to spend your day. However, today my son made fireworks in his bedroom and succeeded at setting his mattress aflame. Shortly thereafter, the attic exploded.

OK, that's a dramatization. Only the windows exploded. The attic itself (where his room is found) did not explode, though one wall of the house was pretty well ruined, and was open to the rain when I left tonight.

If you do decide to burn down your house, I highly recommend having very good homeowner's insurance. That way, while the firemen throw every game you own out a second-story window because your office is next to your boy's bedroom, you will rest comfortably, knowing that all of your games will be replaced. Like, in three months or so, when the checks come in. And, of course, you won't have that cherry copy of Black Ops any more, since they only made 1,000 of those.

Also, if you do intend to burn your home, it's a good idea to take your computer out of the office first. Had I realized this, my computer would not currently be a mishapen pile of melted plastic, and I would not have to write the evening's review on my wife's laptop while in a hotel room.

Another good tip, if you decide to burn your home, is to save the Christmas tree. If you can grab any presents, that's also a good idea. We may be celebrating in a hotel room this year, but we will have our artificial tree and most of the presents (that is, the ones that were not water-damaged when the ceiling in the living room collapsed).

While the actual event of watching flames shoot out the windows of your home is actually quite exciting, it is amazing how quickly the excitement becomes very boring. Once the fire department finishes with the process of saving about half of your wordly possessions (the other half being claimed by hungry flames), you will have to wait for the insurance rep to show up. After that, you will have to wait for the guys who will board up your home. Then you will wait for the guys who will come out and see what can be salvaged. Then, for some extra good times, you will have to wait for the arson investigator who thinks that your son is working for Al-Qaeda and building a bomb in your attic.

So, all things considered, lighting fire to your house is getting a flat-out negative review. Not only did I miss the cool part where flames and smoke shot out my windows, but everything after that sucked. Not one part of my day after that was awesome. If you are desperate to do something destructive, just to break up the monotony, consider hitting yourself in the foot with a hammer. It will hurt an awful lot, but at least you won't have to wonder how long it will take you to paint all those Warhammer Quest miniatures. Again.

Summary

Pros:
No need to clean, if you're just going to burn everything
An excellent way to get your attic remodeled

Cons:
Half an hour of sheer terror followed by a whole lot of boring
Virtually guaranteed to lose something with considerable sentimental value
Posted by Matt Drake at 7:01 PM

More
20 Dec 2011 19:41 #110716 by SuperflyPete
What I want to know is where Colby and Bistro were on the night in question....I mean, his Dungeon Run review just came out and then this... (evil grin)

Matt's OK, wife and kids OK, thank God. He's had a tremendously great attitude. He didn't even choke the fuck out of his son. I've known Matt a long time and if nothing else can be said about him, he's one guy that can always see the upside in things. Love that guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
20 Dec 2011 20:43 #110733 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Matt Drake homeless WTF?
Okay, this must suck some seriously big donkey balls. I had my basement flooded last year and that was a royal fucking pain in my ponderous ass.

I'm glad everyone is okay and that you have insurance-you don't seem like the type to get railroaded into anything- but just be mindful that your claims adjuster isn't an upwardly mobile shit that puts his career before your well being. AND if there are any extras you would like have done to the house, that aren't covered, I've heard that some contractors go for that sort of thing for a small, undetermined, non-mentioned, fee. At least that's what I'm told.

Chin up Matt. Don't be shy to ask us for whatever little help we can provide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
20 Dec 2011 20:54 #110736 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Matt Drake homeless WTF?
Happy to hear everyone is ok pin an asswhooping on the spawn game aside. I'm in some serious awe of the sense of humour in the post.

More
20 Dec 2011 21:06 #110738 by Mr Skeletor
Glad to hear everyone is OK, now time to rebuild it faster, better, stronger.

More
20 Dec 2011 21:26 #110743 by QPCloudy

Mr Skeletor wrote: Glad to hear everyone is OK, now time to rebuild it faster, better, stronger.

We have the technology.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds