October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2737 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The Avatar Awards: The Five Best on F:AT

More
11 Feb 2012 20:40 - 11 Feb 2012 20:46 #116115 by Ryan B.
In most cases, I think a good avatar has to be distinctive. In most cases, it create a perception that may be different from the reality... or in some ways it can mirror reality. But is definitely creates a perception. And it is impactful and makes a statement.

Here are my awards for the top five avatars on F:AT.

5. Sagrilarus: Sag's posts are usually well thought out. But even when they are not, his avatar communicates the presence of high intellectualism. It's creative, artistic and identifies him clearly with his avatar. Well chosen.

4. Barnes: So many people think this is what Barnes looks like, you half expect him to make boardgame news as "sightings" of him appear. People have gone forth and actually posted actual pictures of him to dispel the differences. That's pretty powerful stuff if you ask me. Probably the most signature avatar in the entire boardgame community.

3. Loter: The only person with his real life picture on here... that is still so out of sorts that is creates it's own perceptions. Simply brilliant. And like Barnes, the avatar mimics exactly the type of persona that Loter projects in his forum posts. And yea, Matt. That's a compliment.

2. BillyZ: Probably my favorite avatar on F:AT. It absolutely commands presence and is perfect representation of everything F:AT stands for. When you see it, everyone immediately knows who walked into the forum room.

1. The original Black Barney: The one person who didn't have to change his avatar, changed it. Bring back the original, Barney. Even if it is the same guy, it just goes to show how the perfect picture of a person creates magnified impact. Your first picture perfectly conveys Richard Simmons craziness. What it means: No matter if Black Barney's post is serious or jesting, the avatar completely upends the levity of whatever he is trying to say. Plus, my guess is that it is either nothing like him or completely like him...therefore one of the most powerful avatars at creating perception on F:AT.

Go back to the original Black Barney. The new one does not do your award winning work justice!

So those are my top 5. What are yours?

Sidebar: (Obviously, I can't rank mine, but suffice it to say I won't be changing it any time soon.)
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 20:46 by Ryan B..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2012 21:00 - 11 Feb 2012 21:04 #116123 by Black Barney
Yeah, I'm sorry I changed it. I'll change it back. Do you know what the original was tho? Cuz it wasn't the one I had last week (Barnes gave me that one). It was a REALLY creepy picture of Simmons posing for a picture. I thought it would make for the perfect avatar for coming to a new website where no one knows me at all. Cuz they,re going to make 100 assumptions about me just based on that picture, lol.

Barnes' avatar is amazing. The fact that it adds chaos on BGG cuz it "adds no value whatsoever" makes it legendary.

Loter's is strong as well cuz it fits so well and I don't even know him.

I hate yours Ryan cuz it looks all elitist or English or something and then your posts are always so good so it don't match. The way Schweig jumps down people's throats for their bad grammar, it would be a perfect avatar for him maybe.

I honestly spent about 30 minutes picking my avatar for this site. With everything Ken told me about the place, I wanted to do it right, yo.

Ok, I,ll go back to the original but you tell me if it's not the one you wanted.

thanks for putting me number one. It's very flattering.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 21:04 by Black Barney.

More
11 Feb 2012 21:13 - 11 Feb 2012 21:40 #116128 by Schweig!
5) dogmatix: I like the colours orange and grey. It also tells you something about his two favourite things - the Grateful Dead and the Philadelphia Flyers.

4) ubarose: Cute but don't get on her bad side.

3) Ancient of Mu Mu original: Great music story that I have never heard of before. Much respect to that band.

2) Black Barney original: If I ridicule him for writing like a 12-year-old girl, it's because that avatar is giving me permission to ridicule him.

1) Southernman original: The pissed-off, venerable space marine. One look at his avatar and you knew his personality.

- - -

Some words on my new avatar. I have taken it last Thursday. That was after I decided to go to a doctor because of my depressions. It is I believe a turning point in my life. It's a self portrait I shot in front of the mirror in my wardrobe. Since I look in there almost every day, I noticed that the lighting was quite good when postured that way. I'm usually not that attractive. I have taken the photos blind, that is holding the camera at about belly height facing upwards, and was about to give up because the results were crap. But then I shot this photo and I think it's great and I didn't have to manipulate anything or crop it. I'm actually looking at the camera, but in the picture it seems like I'm contemplating something. I think it's great people say I look just like my online persona. I'm wearing my grandfather's cap and my black, organic cotton, fair trade, non-sweatshop hoodie. My favourite dress-up.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 21:40 by Schweig!.

More
11 Feb 2012 21:16 - 11 Feb 2012 21:48 #116131 by Schweig!
No Barney, I believe we mean another one. The one you used before your latest change.

- - -

And I'm convinced Jarvis Cocker would be most fitting as Barnes' avatar. Examples:

Enjoying a eurogame:
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 21:48 by Schweig!.

More
11 Feb 2012 21:20 - 11 Feb 2012 21:23 #116132 by Ryan B.

Black Barney wrote: Yeah, I'm sorry I changed it. I'll change it back. Do you know what the original was tho? Cuz it wasn't the one I had last week (Barnes gave me that one). It was a REALLY creepy picture of Simmons posing for a picture. I thought it would make for the perfect avatar for coming to a new website where no one knows me at all. Cuz they,re going to make 100 assumptions about me just based on that picture, lol.

Barnes' avatar is amazing. The fact that it adds chaos on BGG cuz it "adds no value whatsoever" makes it legendary.

Loter's is strong as well cuz it fits so well and I don't even know him.

I hate yours Ryan cuz it looks all elitist or English or something and then your posts are always so good so it don't match. The way Schweig jumps down people's throats for their bad grammar, it would be a perfect avatar for him maybe.

I honestly spent about 30 minutes picking my avatar for this site. With everything Ken told me about the place, I wanted to do it right, yo.

Ok, I,ll go back to the original but you tell me if it's not the one you wanted.

thanks for putting me number one. It's very flattering.

Schweig's right. The crazy one. ; ) That was the award winner.

BTW, I love mine too... especially when I write in a way that mimics it. Cause I know it drives some people nuts.

Besides, I would totally own a bowler hat. (LOL) They are aces cool.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 21:23 by Ryan B..

More
11 Feb 2012 23:16 #116151 by Black Barney
fixed! You guys are right, this one is genius.

More
11 Feb 2012 23:23 #116153 by Ryan B.

Black Barney wrote: fixed! You guys are right, this one is genius.

The winner.

More
11 Feb 2012 23:28 #116155 by Black Barney
LOL your new avatar is great, Ryan! I don't want to punch you for once. With the right post and the wrong audience, you can still make it totally do the elitist thing too if you want. So awesome.

/applauds
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
11 Feb 2012 23:33 - 11 Feb 2012 23:36 #116157 by Ryan B.

Black Barney wrote: LOL your new avatar is great, Ryan! I don't want to punch you for once. With the right post and the wrong audience, you can still make it totally do the elitist thing too if you want. So awesome.

/applauds

Hmm, I might have to change it back then. (LOL) Anyway, I think I have a signature theme (the Bowler hat), so I can mix it up from time to time. But my original bowler hat avatar (w/Ralph Fiennes) is still my favorite.

Wait till I break out the "top hat" avatars. ; p

BTW, wasn't there another Richard Simmons avatar, after the one you have posted now? Because I think that one is actually the one I was thinking of...
Last edit: 11 Feb 2012 23:36 by Ryan B..

More
11 Feb 2012 23:51 - 12 Feb 2012 01:14 #116161 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Schweig! wrote: 3) Ancient of Mu Mu original: Great music story that I have never heard of before. Much respect to that band.

Which one? Charles Haddon is the emo looking one who killed himself out of guilt for a failed stage dive, Bill Drummond is the legend who turned on the music industry for not realizing his band was a subversive joke, fired a tommy gun filled with blanks at the audience in his final performance and burned all the money he made. Both are interesting figures in the history of pop music.

EDIT: Never realized until now I like my music icons to be self destructive.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2012 01:14 by Ancient_of_MuMu.

More
12 Feb 2012 00:40 #116162 by Fallen

Schweig! wrote: No Barney, I believe we mean another one. The one you used before your latest change.

- - -

And I'm convinced Jarvis Cocker would be most fitting as Barnes' avatar. Examples:

Enjoying a eurogame:

Jarvis Fucking rocks!

More
12 Feb 2012 00:59 - 12 Feb 2012 01:00 #116167 by Notahandle
Ryan B. wrote:
" Wait till I break out the "top hat" avatars. ; p"
Here:-
Last edit: 12 Feb 2012 01:00 by Notahandle.

More
12 Feb 2012 06:33 #116180 by DeletedUser

Ryan B. wrote:

Black Barney wrote: fixed! You guys are right, this one is genius.

The winner.

Barney, my vote would be for the one where Simmons was peeking over the back of a chair. Crazy creepy.

More
12 Feb 2012 06:40 - 12 Feb 2012 06:40 #116182 by Ryan B.
Barney, let's see it because I think that is the one I was thinking of too. I never realized your had so many incarnations of Richard going! Priceless.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2012 06:40 by Ryan B..

More
12 Feb 2012 06:59 - 12 Feb 2012 07:00 #116184 by Black Barney

lol, this was the first one I used when i came here. It was hilarious cuz almost no one knew me here so I had lots of fun with it

edit: lol, it's so much worse when it's blown up big like that. I can still see it when I shut my eyes. What a total nutzo that Simmons is. I gotta get that vest
Last edit: 12 Feb 2012 07:00 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds