October 09, 2023
2651 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2835 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

True Fortress Ameritrash Confessions

More
22 Apr 2014 13:47 #176288 by Green Lantern
I had never seen The Godfather until six months ago and did not like it.

I prefer narrative games and story telling over competition.

I knew Ken before he went Solid Gold.

I like most Zach Snyder movies and prefer his take on The Watchmen over the comic. An alien octupus? C'mon man.

I have never read a Green Lantern comic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2014 13:47 - 22 Apr 2014 13:48 #176289 by Black Barney

ubarose wrote:
Give me your permission to split more involved discussions off into their own thread when I see them, or shoot me a PM when something evolves to that level and I'll split it off in to it's own topic.

Yes, absolutely. You should split more involved discussions off so they can flourish. They certainly don't belong in those monster threads because:

a) they will get lost over time
b) People will feel pressure to not post further points on the discussion because they feel it's already taking too much room in that thread

I probably won't shoot you PMs because I have no radar whatsoever on when a discussion is getting deep enough to explore further on its own.

I realize now in retrospect that Sag has identified times when I should have made a blog or article post instead of just dumping something I'm not sure is profound or not into a monster thread.

----

hehe, I can't tell if Phandec's post means that when I'm openly complaining about some games, that's helpful for him to avoid games, or if it's more when I'm really happy about a game, he avoids it since we have opposite taste.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2014 13:48 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, VonTush

More
22 Apr 2014 14:05 #176293 by phandec

Black Barney wrote: hehe, I can't tell if Phandec's post means that when I'm openly complaining about some games, that's helpful for him to avoid games, or if it's more when I'm really happy about a game, he avoids it since we have opposite taste.

The latter. :P

I thought about leaving it ambiguous, but our tastes in video games are such polar opposites that it seems ridiculous.

I have tried and gotten extremely bored with (and subsequently stopped playing) Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War, and just about all FPS games. Well, actually all FPS games. I have Dead Space as well, still in the shrink because I think I'd hate it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Apr 2014 14:06 #176294 by Ska_baron
Everyone I've met through this site has been more awesome than I thought and I wish I could see folks more.

I met uba, Malloc, King Put, wkover, Dogmatix (I know his job can be nuts, so hoping that's what's kept him silent, if not away - plus he's a damn awesome guy as most here know) in real life several years ago and feel like I should've been back to WBC more recently now that there's a more codified FAT presence.

I also wish Sag was my dad. And I think most here agree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
22 Apr 2014 14:25 #176295 by Black Barney
My dad's dead. Thanks for the reminder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
22 Apr 2014 14:41 #176298 by Egg Shen
I really miss seeing Steve Avery around these parts. While I was a lurker I remember getting a big kick out of his posts and Trashfest recaps. By the time I started posting he was gone. I long for his return. In my head I imagine it being like that Coca-Cola commercial with Mean Joe Green...except it's Avery tossing me a sweaty tank top.

To make matters worse, I once bought a copy of Nuclear War off Barnes and when I was thumbing threw some cards I noticed one in particular that said, "Poor Steve Avery Loses the Game". It gave me a vivid picture of the raucous game sessions that the F:AT Atlanta crew must have had. I can only imagine the ridiculousness that occurred when that card popped up.

Egg "I miss the way you move" Shen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Aarontu, SuperflyPete

More
22 Apr 2014 15:53 #176299 by QPCloudy
I posted here and there when I first joined, but never was "part of the club". It took taking a jab at Barnes in relation to fondling my balls to get me in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Apr 2014 15:55 #176300 by ChristopherMD
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QPCloudy

More
22 Apr 2014 15:58 - 22 Apr 2014 16:10 #176303 by SuperflyPete

craniac wrote: I think most graphic novels are weak.
I binge watch The Good Wife.
I miss Will.

I share these, except missing Will. And that's because I didn't know until just now that he died.

Thanks for that.

QPCloudy wrote: I posted here and there when I first joined, but never was "part of the club". It took taking a jab at Barnes in relation to fondling my balls to get me in.

So, what I'm seeing is that your confession is that you actually believe you're "part of the club"?

Confessions:
I miss Southerman and Frank (Skelly) greatly.
I still love Stone Age and play it on IOS at least once a week.
I secretly wish the entire world would blow up almost completely solely so I could actually BE a Vault Dweller.
I really like Matt Loter.
Man of Steel was a good film, IMO.
Pacific Rim was NOT a good film, IMO.
If I didn't worship the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, it would undoubtedly be Cthulhu.
I despise rabbits on a cellular level.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2014 16:10 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern

More
22 Apr 2014 16:03 #176304 by DeletedUser
In the early days of F:At it seemed mandatory to abuse various people. I was particularly mean to one specific user and I have regretted that for a long time.

I didn't think much of Magical Athelete.

Man of Steel was great.

I like to think Black Barney really does look like Richard Simmons. Don't ever show your real face around here BB.

I also thought Gary Sax was his real name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Apr 2014 16:07 #176305 by Michael Barnes
Steve Avery started hanging out with Vasel and decided he was too good for us...he decided he needed classier digs. The last time I saw him he had stepped up to a full T-shirt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, scissors, Gary Sax, Schweig!, VonTush, SuperflyPete

More
22 Apr 2014 16:07 #176306 by mads b.
I rarely understand Schweigs! cartoons and I'm not quite sure I understand the whole Milch und Gurken thing and lots of other F:AT memes.

I will, however, still use them occasionally hoping that noone finds out I'm faking.

Also because of this argument:

ubarose wrote: It does make me sad when you and other people bury good stuff in the "What ... have you been..." threads. I think these threads squash the start of new threads. I think the combination of few new single topic threads and these monster multi topic threads has made Trash Talk increasingly insular, to the point that the site is dying a slow death. New people really do feel like they are at a party where they don't know anyone, and there are no conversations going where they feel like they can just jump in and get to know anyone. But I'm not going to fight that fight again. The last time I tried I got the crap beat out of me by everyone.

I will try to be more aware of that in the future :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
22 Apr 2014 16:13 #176308 by Secret Satan
Every time one of you sends out a piece of shit, a tiny sliver of your soul is sold to me.

Can't wait for Christmas, and see you all very soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Apr 2014 16:25 #176309 by san il defanso
- I'm pretty attached to this community, and I really don't like it when pissing matches start. I tend to internalize conflict that is happening around me when I don't have a lot of distance from it, so I've never been much of a fan of the whole "Friday Freakout" tradition.

- On the positive side of that, the F:ATties I've met (limited to Brewmeister, Dair, bioball, and VonTush) are all very cool people. It's surprising how you can feel like you're friends with people you've never actually met, so getting to meet them in real life has always been a treat.

- I miss Excited Man. He was one of my favorite things when I first started coming around here.

- I still like REM more than The Smiths.

- On matters of boardgames, I feel like I agree with Barnes like 90% of the time. I'm not sure if I should be proud of this or worried.

- I'm with Gary Sax, this place probably saved the hobby for me. I would have given up after losing interest in Euros if I hadn't wandered around here.

More
22 Apr 2014 16:42 - 22 Apr 2014 16:43 #176311 by Egg Shen

Michael Barnes wrote: Steve Avery started hanging out with Vasel and decided he was too good for us...he decided he needed classier digs. The last time I saw him he had stepped up to a full T-shirt.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that he wasn't fall-down drunk with a fruity umbrella drink in his hand!

NOOOOOOO! Don't tell me...I don't wanna know.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2014 16:43 by Egg Shen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds