October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Your Backup Hobby

More
12 Jul 2021 21:41 #324641 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Your Backup Hobby
Zero experience with air rifles. This is more for him I think, and he didn't want to pay more than $150, so a PCP was out. This one comes with a scope, though it seems like it's not great, but it'll be fine for our purposes.

Personally, I'm into long range shooting with actual rifles. Been doing 100 yards for a while and just set up a 350 yard range at my father-in-law's place. Haven't gotten to try it yet though. I'll probably stick with metal targets for now (Did it hit? Yes or no?) until I can get a reloading setup for something resembling a reasonable price to make my own loads for consistency, then I'll use actual targets and measure my clusters and all that nonsense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2021 23:19 #324642 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Your Backup Hobby

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: This is her run from that day when I was watching her:
Oceana Climbing

The Olympic speed climb is a grade 19 on the Australian grading system. I have been climbing for nearly 3 years, though severely interrupted by the pandemic, and while I have done a couple of 19s my best on the Olympic climb is only half way up and that took me 30 seconds. To see someone do it in 8 seconds in the flesh is amazing.

It is amazing. So impressive.

Climbing of any sort intrigues me but I am just not a climber. No good with heights for one (although many of my climbing mates tell me they aren't either). Not sure my body is up to it for various reasons. I live in the BMs so am surrounded by climbing spots and climbers; I just like to keep my feet on the ground. A bit of a scramble/bouldering can be fun when hiking though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
13 Jul 2021 00:02 #324643 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Your Backup Hobby

Disgustipater wrote: Zero experience with air rifles. This is more for him I think, and he didn't want to pay more than $150, so a PCP was out. This one comes with a scope, though it seems like it's not great, but it'll be fine for our purposes.

Personally, I'm into long range shooting with actual rifles. Been doing 100 yards for a while and just set up a 350 yard range at my father-in-law's place. Haven't gotten to try it yet though. I'll probably stick with metal targets for now (Did it hit? Yes or no?) until I can get a reloading setup for something resembling a reasonable price to make my own loads for consistency, then I'll use actual targets and measure my clusters and all that nonsense.

I've been doing that on a slightly smaller scale. :) I think my gun can do MOA groups at 20 yards, it's just the loose nut between the seat and the trigger that's stopping it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
13 Jul 2021 10:33 #324647 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Your Backup Hobby
Pulled eight hornworms off my tomato this morning because my backup hobby is dumb and full of dumb worms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
13 Jul 2021 10:45 #324648 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Your Backup Hobby

jeb wrote: Pulled eight hornworms off my tomato this morning because my backup hobby is dumb and full of dumb worms.

I work for a company that raises hornworms and sells them to pet stores and bait shops. They always look like nearly-immobile, green-blue plastic to me. It's a small part of our business, which is primarily focused on operating five cricket farms. Anyway, the hornworms love tomato plants. We grow tomatoes just for the hornworms to feed upon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
13 Jul 2021 13:31 #324650 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Your Backup Hobby

jeb wrote: Pulled eight hornworms off my tomato this morning because my backup hobby is dumb and full of dumb worms.

Do you prune your tomatoes? I do so pretty aggressively and haven’t seen any yet.

More
13 Jul 2021 13:59 #324651 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Your Backup Hobby
I need to prune them if only to give these fuckers less places to hide. Hornworms are invasive in California, so I don't feel bad tossing these dudes into the local spider webs. Guidance here is to kill them outright.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
13 Jul 2021 16:32 #324657 by BillyBobThwarton
Replied by BillyBobThwarton on topic Your Backup Hobby
We had a good tomato crop for the first time in years. I suppose I need to look up pruning as I had no idea. I think I’m mostly crap at them because usually 1/4 die before fruit can set, another 1/4 simply don’t produce, and then the remainder have to be netted up from the birds, squirrels and rats. They still manage to overwhelm my defenses by the end. Really stresses me out frankly, but I have never tasted a tomato as good from anywhere else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, jason10mm

More
22 Jul 2021 03:30 - 22 Jul 2021 04:03 #324823 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Your Backup Hobby

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: This is her run from that day when I was watching her:
Oceana Climbing

The Olympic speed climb is a grade 19 on the Australian grading system. I have been climbing for nearly 3 years, though severely interrupted by the pandemic, and while I have done a couple of 19s my best on the Olympic climb is only half way up and that took me 30 seconds. To see someone do it in 8 seconds in the flesh is amazing.

Heh. Just realised the sole male climber on the Australian team is from my town.

Nice little profile here with him climbing in the area; I live near the phone tower you can see in the opening shot that zooms in haha.

vimeo.com/182341035

Like I said, you'll find me on the valley floor :D
Last edit: 22 Jul 2021 04:03 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
23 Jul 2021 20:43 #324892 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Your Backup Hobby
I don't think I've ever mentioned this here, but my girlfriend and I have a youtube channel on which we review alcohol of all sorts. We do this for kicks, and I just published our 87th video, which is of the best Shiraz I've ever had. Kind of hard to believe that we have stuck with it as long as we have. Anyway, if you want us to tell you what you should drink, here it is. www.youtube.com/channel/UCFI-on96R-3pO-P40sg_Ljg

Note: Even if you watch all 87 videos, you will NEVER see me say like and subscribe. I refuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, jason10mm, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
24 Jul 2021 12:14 #324899 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Your Backup Hobby
I've had some TERRIBLE alcohol, like green chili beer and the like. Do you take money for a punishing challenge??? :)

More
24 Jul 2021 12:40 #324900 by hotseatgames
Absolutely, I can be bought for cheap. We have two videos that were quite rough, a cinnamon whisky challenge, and a four loco challenge. UGH
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
25 Jul 2021 21:52 #324923 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Your Backup Hobby
BTW, with the font you guys use, I thought I was in a VERY different youtube stream.

Klinky looks a lot like Kinky :P

More
26 Jul 2021 09:01 #324927 by hotseatgames
heh, I don't think we would last long on youtube if that was it

More
04 Aug 2021 10:22 #325196 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Your Backup Hobby
We're back at my in-laws for our annual weeklong "mini-vacation" and I've been able to do more fishing than I have all summer. The other day I hooked into my new PB largemouth--4.65 pounds slow-rolling a chatterbait over weeds in about 12 feet of water, only about 150 yards off our dock. It took me 2 full years to eclipse my previous best (also on this lake). The water's so clear and the big bass seem to be pretty few and far between, so it's a challenge to find and get the big girls to bite here.

Down south in most lakes you can catch fish of this size multiple times a day and it's no big deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds