October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2750 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Just watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World again

More
07 Feb 2011 12:48 #87024 by El Cuajinais
I can now safely place it in my top 10 movies of all time. Probably top 5. And now reading through the internet I see that it had a mixed reception, and Universal actually lost money on it. I used to like "epic adventure" movies. I finally got to see Prince of Persia and the latest Robin Hood this past month and concluded I don't like that type of movie anymore. I've grown tired of seeing the same plot (with minor tweaks) on 20 different settings. Same goes for the DreamWorks animated films. And let's not talk about the comic book/superhero movies. I stopped watching those about 10 years ago. In fact if I had known SPvsTW was based on a comic book most likely I would not have seen it. End of the world movie anyone?. I'm super bummed to finally see an expensive film wipe its ass with the Hollywood mold, and fail miserably.

God I loved this film. The humor is perfect, the action is intense, the pacing is fucking nuts. Loved the music, the cast, everything. This is one those films where I think the quotes will stick with you for years. I know they will stick with me for sure. "You just drank half-and-half baby." *Sips from the cup*

Now I need to see how to best give my money to Universal to support this movie. The logical step would be to get the DVD (I don't own a Blue ray player), but I want to hold off until they release the Balls Out Collator's edition of something. I can't remember the last time I bough a movie, (probably the used copy of Pans Labyrinth I bought at a rental store before Netflix all but erased them from the map).

Also can anyone here recommend other "feel good" movies that are not excruciatingly predictable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2011 13:25 #87028 by Black Barney
I better never see this movie (Scott Pilgrim) cuz I don't even think it would make my top ten of the year. I,m sure it's VERY good but I suspect this is being overrated.

btw, I just got Netflix for a month to try it out and may I say that it BLOWS in Canada. The selection is terrible. I couldn't rent Inside Job nor No Country for Old Men cuz NOT AVAILABLE comes up. ugh.

ok to answer your question on some amazing feel good movies that are entirely unpredictable:

The Remains of the Day
Man on Wire (HOLY CRAP is this ever amazing)
Any of the TOY STORY movies
Waste Land (probably my favourite movie of 2010)
Cool Hand Luke (I love this movie)
Before Sunrise / Before Sunset (both of these are probably the best romantic movies I have ever seen)

there you go, probably the essential 'feel good' movie list best of um... ever?

wow, that's bad English but you know what I mean. If you haven't seen any of those, jump on them please. Let me know how it turns out.

ktxbye

More
07 Feb 2011 13:25 #87030 by Michael Barnes
Man, I am so over the post- Braveheart epic adventure film it's not even funny. I couldn't have possibly cared less about Robin Hood or Prince of Persia. Superhero movies, I couldn't possibly care less unless it's at very minimum on par with Batman Begins/Dark Knight, which are great _movies_, not just great comic book movies. The thought of watching something like one of the Spider-Man movies again makes me sick. And I love Spider-Man.

I watched Hellboy 2 again the other day. I almost had to turn it off. It was just fucking stupid. So plastic, artificial, and shallow. Three years ago I liked it. Something has changed...whatever switch it was that gave stupid bullshit a pass because it's stupid nerd bullshit doesn't work anymore.

But I watched Night Watch the other day and liked it MORE than when I saw it in the theater. It's batshit crazy, off-the-rails, sometimes nonsensical...but it's made with passion and balls. That makes all the difference in the world.

Scott Pilgrim was very refreshing...partially because it's genuinely good-natured. It's not crass, vulgar, exploitative, or mean-spirited. It doesn't cater to lowest common denominator humour, and it has a universal story that anybody can relate to even if they don't get all the video game references. It feels honest, heartfelt, and effortless. Not too many movies like that these days.

More
07 Feb 2011 14:01 #87032 by El Cuajinais
Black Barney wrote:

The Remains of the Day
Man on Wire (HOLY CRAP is this ever amazing)
Any of the TOY STORY movies
Waste Land (probably my favourite movie of 2010)
Cool Hand Luke (I love this movie)
Before Sunrise / Before Sunset (both of these are probably the best romantic movies I have ever seen)

Since you mentioned Before Sunset, I'm going to make an effort to watch every movie on your list. That movie is the standard to which I judge performances for "normal" characters in a film. There is much praise for actors depicting serial killers, the mentally challenged, geniuses, etc, etc. But I have yet to see a more down to earth portrayal of two simple strangers than the couple in Before Sunrise. Looking back, I think it was that film and Forest Gump which triggered my respect for the good Hollywood actors as "pros" in another level. Much like pro athletes play at another level. There is so much talent in films that the fact the 95% of the films are cheesy and predictable makes me want to pull my hair out.

More
07 Feb 2011 14:02 #87033 by Stephen Avery
I like predictable. It reinforces my perception of reality and keeps my mind squeaky clean.

Steve"Double good thinker"Avery

More
07 Feb 2011 14:09 - 07 Feb 2011 14:09 #87036 by Mr. White
Michael Barnes wrote:

Man, I am so over the post- Braveheart epic adventure film it's not even funny.

I feel like there have been three great ones. Braveheart, Gladiator, and that Master and Commander film (if that counts).

I'm not sure why everyone thought Hellboy 2 was so great. It seemed to me to be a pretty average film. Standard superhero cgi fare.

Not interested at all in the new Thor or Captain America, and Cap is a character I really like. I'm totally done with super-hero movies as well

I did like Spider-man 2, though. Alot. Doubt I'll watch the relaunch.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 14:09 by Mr. White.

More
07 Feb 2011 14:11 #87037 by moofrank
Hmmm. Feel Good movies:

1. Suck. It is loud, funny, indie, and thoroughly Rock n Roll. There is a healthy dose of the cynic involved.
2. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. This is a 40's movie by Preston Sturges that is probably just required viewing. It is a wonderful screwball comedy, made all the crazier that it goes some places that you just didn't think old b/w movies go.
3. Hausu. (House). Perhaps not a feel-good comedy. More of a classic horror-comedy, but done with such a light hand and goofy-morbid deaths that you'd not notice. The movie itself careens about with crazy excess.

And anything on this list which Edgar Wright put together.
io9.com/#!5686693/10-must+watch-movies-t...uenced-scott-pilgrim

More
07 Feb 2011 14:26 #87040 by Michael Barnes
AGH! He put Danger: Diabolik on that list! That's an AWESOME movie! It's hard to believe it's Mario Bava...I can definitely see where it influenced Scott Pilgrim, I never would have guessed it though. And oh man, Diabolik has an _incredible_ Morricone soundtrack. If you've ever seen the Beastie Boys "Body Movin'" video, it's based on this movie.

Also, Flash Gordon. That's a cheerful, colorful, completely loony movie. I absofuckingloutely adore it. I saw it when I was six in the theater, I had the "book of the movie" and everything.

And Phantom of the Paradise? Wow. I actually would have guessed this one, there's some parts that actually kind of reminded me of it in Scott Pilgrim. This is a _great_ rock movie. Some of it is a little quaint now, but some of it is still awesome. Death Records, FTW. They show this from time to time on Fox Movie Channel because the studio head's wife, Jessica Harper, is in it. Other than Suspiria and Manhattan, it's the only other movie I know of that she's in.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is great too...that movie was way ahead of its time. It shares some qualities with A Hard Days Night in the editing and the dialogue full of non-sequiters, but it's got this frenetic, reckless quality that's a joy to watch.

The Shaw Brothers stuff is good too, those are two of their best. I'd slate Five Element Ninjas and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter above them, if not Master of the Flying Guillotine. I'm surprised he didn't put Five Deadly Venoms on there, that feels more Scott Pilgrim than Five Fingers of Death.

More
07 Feb 2011 15:16 #87046 by Schweig!
Black Barney wrote:

I better never see this movie (Scott Pilgrim) cuz I don't even think it would make my top ten of the year. I,m sure it's VERY good but I suspect this is being overrated.

Could you at least sometimes try to make any sense?

More
07 Feb 2011 15:57 #87050 by OldHippy
Scott Pilgrim reminded me a lot of Speed Racer. Not for the story or the dialogue (although I don't think they're all that far removed from each other) but for how it managed to impress me on a number of levels that have nothing to do with those features. They both embrace everything pop in their artistic designs and it made for a very stimulating visual experience. Top ten is going to far but it was good.

I'm not sure what a feel good movie is but I like Wizard of Oz, A Christmas Carol (Alistar Sim), When Harry met Sally, Brad Bird, typical stuff.

More
07 Feb 2011 16:14 #87052 by Chapel
El Cuajinais wrote:

Also can anyone here recommend other "feel good" movies that are not excruciatingly predictable?

Now these are not all new. :)

Fandango
Better off Dead
3 O'Clock High
Pirate Radio(The Ship that Rocked)
Whale Rider
Smoke Signals
Once Were Warriors
Plunkett & Macleane
Across the Universe
August Rush
Coco Before Chanel
Lords of Dogtown
Grosse Pointe Blank
Capote
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Rushmore
Crumb
Secondhand Lions
Nothing But Trouble
Dazed and Confused
Finding Neverland
Bottle Rocket

Just some I can think of off the top of my head.

More
07 Feb 2011 16:14 #87053 by moofrank
This list is what convinced to to watch Danger: Diabolik and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. I can't believe I had never watched Dolls---that movie is just amazing for how modern it is.

More
07 Feb 2011 16:28 #87057 by Michael Barnes
Oh yeah, Speed Racer is definitely in line with Scott Pilgrim. It's also overwhelmingly positive, upbeat, colorful, and cheerful. It also has a completely outrageous production design. I'm convinced that they really wanted to do a pop art film, there are parts that are totally in that school of thought.

Unfairly maligned film. It's a billion times better than any of those fucking Transformers movies, GI Joe, either of the Iron Man movies, Hulk, etc.

More
07 Feb 2011 17:00 #87061 by mjl1783
Wait, you didn't like Ang Lee's Hulk? That surprising.

If you ask me, it's the best comic book movie this side of The Dark Knight, and for mostly the same reasons that movie was so good.

More
07 Feb 2011 17:11 #87062 by Mr Skeletor
Ang Lee's Hulk was great(they could have made the door mystery a bit less obvious though.) I think the ending went over a lot of peoples heads though.
The marvel Hulk movie they made after it was terrible.

Scott Pilgrims closest cousin is certainly Speed Racer. Pilgrim was great, much better than most of the stuff Barney champions like The Social Network. My only problems with Scott Pilgrim was:
1) Script was a bit too hipster try-hard. If people start quoting this film I know I'll start hating it.
2) It needed to be shorter. I felt the film started to lose its energy towards the end (about the time of the 2 DJs).
Oh third thing I just remembered
3) I hated the resolution. Made worse by the fact the filmmakers more or less acknowledge that it was a shit resolution.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds