October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

New Forum/Site Look

More
26 Jan 2008 08:27 #1450 by southernman
Seems a bit big - larger fonts and empty space means less information being displayed on the screen. Are their different resolution or format options ?

Also loading slowly .. but I won't rule out my internet connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 09:01 #1454 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
The design was done in a higher resolution that you're using, I'll bet. What are you set to?

More
26 Jan 2008 10:31 #1456 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
1024 x 768 (max my laptop goes to, plus best viewing on my 17" csreen on my PC).
But this is the same environment that I viewed the previous incarnation with and that was OK, even a bit on the small side :-).
It appears bigger and space-hungry to most sites I have attended regularly (BGG, F:A blog). I think the basic text is fine - it's the headers and framing.

More
26 Jan 2008 10:53 #1457 by hacksword
Replied by hacksword on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
The new look isn't perfect, but I think it's an improvement over the old. I like how the posts now take up the entire width of the browser. There's actually less wasted space now than before.

One complaint: in the editor I'm looking at right now the headings on the left are black on a dark green background. Kinda hard to read.

More
26 Jan 2008 11:25 #1459 by southernman
Sorry - have to agree with Adrian, this new look still needs tweaking. Unless you are using a 22" screen running 1600x1200 it looks like it's been set up for the vision impaired.

When I view the Discussions tab after all the F:A graphics, the headings, and the empty space I only see 3 1/2 discussions in the list :-(

More
26 Jan 2008 11:30 - 26 Jan 2008 11:32 #1460 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
hacksword wrote:

The new look isn't perfect, but I think it's an improvement over the old. I like how the posts now take up the entire width of the browser. There's actually less wasted space now than before.

One complaint: in the editor I'm looking at right now the headings on the left are black on a dark green background. Kinda hard to read.

Thanks. It is a varibale width layout. At low resolution (800 X 600) the forum is rather narrow and barely fits. At high resolution on a wide screen it does gets wide and kind of strung out. But people who have a wider screen have the option of adjusting the width of their browser window by simply dragging the corner. People on narrow screesn who have lower resolutions don't have the option of making their browser window bigger.

I actually pulled out the right column to make the forum wider, because it was so narrow and squished at 800 x 600. I don't know whether it is better to make the people on 800 x 600 suffer, or make the people on high res, or wide screen adjust their browser window. Truthfully, getting this sized was such a bitch that I have come very close to just saying screw the few people who are still at 800 wide and optimize for 1024.

Also, I do see the black on green problem on the input screen - "name," "subject" "topic," etc. are all black. Is that what you are talking about? Also the topic icons are kaka. I'll get that fixed.

So what do you all think. Put the columns back in and the forum and make the people at 800 suffer, or leave it as it is?
Last edit: 26 Jan 2008 11:32 by ubarose.

More
26 Jan 2008 11:49 #1462 by southernman
I just changed my screen to 800x600 and ... SHIT - I had to stand about 6 foot back to read it !!

It IS better being across the width of the screen - but it is BIG.

More
26 Jan 2008 11:58 #1464 by ubarose
Southernman wrote:

I just changed my screen to 800x600 and ... SHIT - I had to stand about 6 foot back to read it !!

It IS better being across the width of the screen - but it is BIG.

But guess what, if I reduce the size of the text so it isn't so big at 800 X 600, it becomes absurdly tiny, and unreadable at 1280 x 800. And the small text, like author, quote, quick reply, etc becomes little dots.

More
26 Jan 2008 12:09 #1465 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
The idea of doing a F:AT website was that it should take as little time as possible to set up and maintain. Therefor I'm not keen on fussing over lay out. This site has little to win by flashy graphics and much to lose by wasting time.

If Uba has set it so that 800x600 is possible and leaves more advanced browser to adjust, I think that's fine and not do this stuff over an over again.

Practical issues like black letters on green could use some help though.

More
26 Jan 2008 12:38 #1466 by ubarose
Jur wrote:

The idea of doing a F:AT website was that it should take as little time as possible to set up and maintain. Therefor I'm not keen on fussing over lay out. This site has little to win by flashy graphics and much to lose by wasting time.

If Uba has set it so that 800x600 is possible and leaves more advanced browser to adjust, I think that's fine and not do this stuff over an over again.

Practical issues like black letters on green could use some help though.

Thank you Jur.

I'm working on fixing that black text.

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile again, 101 little bugs in the code.

More
26 Jan 2008 16:37 #1476 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
I'm fine with this look. At least the colors are such that I can read the text better. I have a problem with the text size too, but that's because I have an archaic monitor which is a problem not just here, so I'm not complaining. I agree some with Jur. There comes a point were ya just can't sweat the little inconveniances/individual complaints and stability becomes important so we aren't relearning the layout every few days.

More
26 Jan 2008 17:30 - 26 Jan 2008 18:41 #1477 by ubarose
So the width is good, correct? So we will leave that alone.

So I don't understand what is too big. You want the text smaller? Which text? Where? Are we just talking about the forum, or the entire site. I can take the text size down, but it will take awhile. Probably won't get to it until next week. But I need to know which text.

When you say headers, do you mean the gray bars that have the forum categories, like "Site Related" and "Game Talk"?

ETA: For a point of reference:
The message text on this forum and on BBG are both set to 10pt.

The topic title (the title of the message that you see in the list of all the messages) is 13pt on this forum, and 12pt on BBG.

If you DON'T have add block on BGG, when you are in a forum, the distance from the top of the page to the header that says "Topics" is approximately 15 px bigger than the distance from the top of the page to the header that says discussions on F:AT.

When reading a thread, the distance from the top of the BBG page, to the top of the first message is nearly identical to the distance from the top of the page on F:AT to the top of the forst post (give or take 2 px)
Last edit: 26 Jan 2008 18:41 by ubarose.

More
26 Jan 2008 19:26 #1482 by thdizzy
Replied by thdizzy on topic Re:New Forum/Site Look
I like that the text is easier to read. The white characters on the black background was a little tough on my eyes. The green works much better.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds