October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Earth Reborn Doesn't Like You

More
20 Aug 2015 03:54 #208873 by OldHippy

Revisiting Earth Reborn

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Almalik, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Green Lantern, repoman, scrumpyjack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2015 09:45 #208875 by SuperflyPete
Well written, JJ. I really wanted to like it. Really. As a guy who plays miniatures games with big rulebooks, doesn't mind rulers for measuring movement, and loves dice, I should've loved it.

I found it OK at best. The graphic layout was the killer, though. I contemplated using the system, but in an open 3D terrain table, then I realized that many games do what this does, but better.

So, it left the house.

More
20 Aug 2015 09:46 #208876 by charlest
Excellent.

I agree, I introduce new players straight to SAGS with full rules. I will kind of skip over stuff like Torture letting them know they can capture a guy in melee and then torture him for stuff later.

All you really need to understand is the order tile system, what the actions do, the bidding/interrupting, and the amazing IPS iconography. Most initiated gamers can handle it well enough.

More
20 Aug 2015 09:51 #208877 by hotseatgames
I was blown away by it when I first got it, so much so that I painted it all before even playing my first game. But it proved to be pretty hard to get to the table. I have never even tried the SAGS system because I've never had an opponent consistently enough for it.

Now Incursion is in the house, and Earth Reborn may never see the table again. But I'm keeping it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Aug 2015 09:52 #208878 by Shellhead
I was both attracted and repelled by elements of Earth Reborn and ultimately decided to pass on buying it. The destructible environment, the minis, the search rules and the nuanced combat system were all appealing. But the ugly and extensive icon list hurt the visual appeal, and the action tiles and bidding made the combat appear more complex than what I wanted. And it seemed like a game that would need regular play with the same opponent to come to life. Still, I really appreciated your article about it.

More
20 Aug 2015 10:38 - 20 Aug 2015 10:38 #208880 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Earth Reborn Doesn't Like You

SuperflyTNT wrote: I realized that many games do what this does, but better.

As a fan of Earth Reborn and Heroscape, I'd love to hear what those games are.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2015 10:38 by quozl.

More
20 Aug 2015 11:23 #208889 by edulis
Great article and dead on in your descriptions. I love Earth Reborn, and felt the biggest draw back was having to walk each person I wanted to teach play through all the tutorial scenarios. But then I did what you did and just taught the whole game in one shot. Admittedly it was an experienced Minis player, but he caught on quick and we had a blast. I am pretty sure I lost.

Cherokee Bill can be used to force the NORAD player to make a decision between using him (because you did not) or carrying out their original plan. So if you purposely skip using Bill, especially if he is off by himself and can't cause much trouble you can get your opponent to waste some command points and maybe set up an ambush on their character that didn't get used.

Anyway great article, wonderful title. Makes me want to play this again!

Shellhead- we should play sometime!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
20 Aug 2015 11:54 - 20 Aug 2015 11:54 #208892 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Earth Reborn Doesn't Like You
"Earth Reborn doesn't like you."
"I'm sorry."
"I don't like you either. You just watch yourself."
Last edit: 20 Aug 2015 11:54 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
20 Aug 2015 16:46 #208907 by repoman
Very nice article. Enjoyed it.

More
20 Aug 2015 17:09 #208909 by Michael Barnes
Nicely done JJ! This is the kind of game writing I like to read.

I loved Earth Reborn when I got it too...but like Mark, I kind of think my tolerance with it is passed. I would actually reach for DOAII over it, easily, pretty much any time. I think that's a much better game overall, if not as bonkers.

You really should look at Archipelago...it's like the reverse image of this game, but it still has that weird "DO NOT LIKE THIS GAME" sense about it.

More
20 Aug 2015 17:18 #208911 by UniversalHead
I don't usually plug my rules summaries and reference sheets, but I'm particularly proud of my Earth Reborn one ( www.orderofgamers.com/games/earth-reborn ). The game really suffers under the weight of its amateurish graphic design I think, and it could have been done a whole lot better. One of those games I keep thinking I'll actually play one day but never seem to get around to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, MacDirk Diggler, OldHippy, hotseatgames, repoman, scrumpyjack

More
20 Aug 2015 21:39 - 20 Aug 2015 21:39 #208923 by OldHippy
Thanks for the kind words everyone... and I like what edulis said about Cherokee Bill, that's very true as well but it still does feel somewhat scripted even when he's used that way. But it's a good point none the less and something to think about.

I've owned this game since it was released and played everything back then, but recently I pulled it out and played a bunch of games with the good Doctor (thanks for indulging me Doc) and I was surprised at how well it held up. Then I brought it to a buddies house and taught him from scratch.. I was amazed at how well it worked and that is what inspired me to write this review. So in a way this is a re-review I guess. As awkward as that sounds. I have more to say about it now than when I first played it all that time ago and still had the rose coloured glasses on. Time has given me a better perspective. I don't think I could ever write fast reviews on new games like other people do.. I just can't get a worth while opinion quickly enough.

I wish I could do what Barnes recommends and try out DOAII, but that's unlikely at this juncture.

Universal, nice post, I will definitely print that out and use it. Great work, as usual.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2015 21:39 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
20 Aug 2015 22:24 #208924 by metalface13
Nice re-review. I've always wanted to check out Earth Reborn, but have never have had the chance. My interest for skirmish miniatures games with campaigns has been piqued lately, but I'd really like to play on a board with tiles rather than 3D terrain.

More
23 Aug 2015 19:33 #209100 by engineer Al
This is seriously one of the best board game reviews I have ever read. Nice job! I can't guarantee that it will get ER on my table again, but it just might. . .

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds