October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games: A Study in Emerald in Review, Evolution: Climate, Stronghold 2nd Edition, Doomrock Returns

More
More
19 Feb 2016 14:42 - 19 Feb 2016 14:50 #222866 by Gary Sax
Super curious what you think of 1st edition if/when you play it! Please let us know in the forums... I have 1st and I like it but it really needs repeat plays with a group who knows WTF they're doing. I think, personally, A Study in Emerald is the true epitome of a "gamer's game." Most people decide that complexity makes a "gamer's game" but to me it's more about the subtleties the players are required to know coming in, and the delicate way they have to balance other players. Raw rules complexity doesn't make a game a "gamer's game" to me, especially if it doesn't require knowledgeable players to make it sing.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 14:50 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2016 16:21 #222871 by hotseatgames
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Feb 2016 18:38 #222874 by Michael Barnes
Steve, the thing about it is that I would still regard ASoE as a "gamer's game" by your standard there. It took me a good three games with actual people and about three solo sessions to really get to grips with it. In fact, the first time I played it with friends it was a complete flop. Nobody really had a handle one what the hell to do, and there was in fact a lot of brow-furrowing and "I don't get it". The three people I was playing with are not really serious gamers at all, so that could have been part of it. But I also wasn't seeing the subtlety of the game, and this is DEFINITELY a game of subtlety. It isn't even really about "knowing the cards". It's more about knowing how to make use of what you have, the goals, how to manipulate the scoring AND the other players, when to make a move and when to lay low...and the whole "secret identity" thing is a lot different than in other games with this concept.

When I played it two players with someone that had played it before, it suddenly made a lot more sense. And then I started to see how those subtleties really make this a superlative game.

From what I've read of 1st edition, I'm not really sure any of the additional material is necessary. It sounds like it adds some detail, but I think the streamlining- and this is completely from a second-hand perspective- is pretty smartly done. In fact, there are a couple of elements that I think could have been left out (the zombies and vampires, for example) without "dumbing down" the game.

Anyone who thinks this game is "dumbed down" is probably pretty dumb anyway. I don't like the box art, I would say that was the big negative change. It's just silly. And seriously, could they not have included the story that you can read online for free? It would have been nice to have it in the box with the game.

Mark, I'm not decided on it yet. I _really_ like it, but it may come down to "is this game going to be played or not". It's so unique though, and I like unique for the Forever Shelf. I want to get some face to face time with it, hopefully over the weekend with a friend of mine that was all into the first edition a couple of years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Feb 2016 21:30 - 19 Feb 2016 21:34 #222876 by Gary Sax
I'm glad I have it, in case it ends up being the superior edition, but I'm open to the idea that 1st edition could benefit from some editing. Like... blocking discs. And the big one is cities can change hands relatively easily once they've been acquired in 1st and I don't think that's necessary.

Other "Gamer's Games" that come to mind that need experienced hands at the wheel are Splotter games or 18XX. While some of them are complicated, I think the real part that makes them hard games is how well everyone has to understand the levers they're presented with and play with some mental dexterity---giving subtle signals, preparing many turns ahead, laying the groundwork for others moves to keep the game state stable. Especially if the game can collapse. Like, Antiquity or Food Chain Magnate, for example, aren't THAT complicated. They're just incredibly delicate games that requires a table of people playing with real finesse. Same with the stock markets in the 18XX.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 21:34 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds