October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

D&D Summer Camp #2: D&D Killed the Board Game Star

More
16 Jun 2019 11:05 - 16 Jun 2019 12:56 #298462 by Gary Sax
That's what social media is. We're all on the hell platforms. And many people are extremely knee jerk protective of their hobby. Spoken as someone who doesn't even agree with the generalizations you make in this article.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2019 12:56 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2019 08:47 #298494 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Twitter reactions to this have ranged from good, solid debate to complaints about how an article about finding gaming joy and rediscovering the values of a classic game with my children is “insulting”, has a “superior” tone.

To be fair it has, mildly. I made a mild complaint about that aspect of it upthread.

The problem is that folks can't see that a gentle poke in the hornet's nest is a valid, useful way of stirring up a good, productive debate as indeed it has.

Like you say, there is this odd defensiveness to a lot of nerd culture, not just board games. I guess it's rooted in the dismissive, patronising attitude the material finds in the wider world. So it's particularly unwelcome when it comes from "one of their own".

As ever, Birdman says it best.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, birdman37

More
17 Jun 2019 09:05 #298498 by Shellhead
Twitter? That seems like a crippled excuse for a discussion forum. Did they raise the character count on posts again? Too bad that we can't get more of that discussion happening here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Jun 2019 19:30 #298522 by WadeMonnig
A well written article that generated discussion and feedback and a solid number of hits. I call it a big win.

More
17 Jun 2019 22:15 #298532 by san il defanso
I confess to being baffled why people would be offended by this, though I've seen board game defensiveness over and over again, so I shouldn't be too surprised. Eric Lang stepping in seems a little bush league to me too, but I didn't see the original context, so what do I know.

One thing I have noticed is how many board gamers I've met who are convinced board gaming is somehow cheaper than Magic/D&D/Warhammer, etc. I mean, it certainly CAN be, but it definitely doesn't have to be. But somehow implying that there's better value to be had in one of those big brands can get surprisingly touchy in my experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, Vysetron

More
18 Jun 2019 08:12 #298539 by birdman37

Matt Thrower wrote: As ever, Birdman says it best.

Preach it, brother!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, hotseatgames

More
18 Jun 2019 08:56 #298542 by Vysetron

san il defanso wrote: I confess to being baffled why people would be offended by this, though I've seen board game defensiveness over and over again, so I shouldn't be too surprised. Eric Lang stepping in seems a little bush league to me too, but I didn't see the original context, so what do I know.

One thing I have noticed is how many board gamers I've met who are convinced board gaming is somehow cheaper than Magic/D&D/Warhammer, etc. I mean, it certainly CAN be, but it definitely doesn't have to be. But somehow implying that there's better value to be had in one of those big brands can get surprisingly touchy in my experience.

Eric Lang works for a company that claims to offer thematic, immersive experiences in its $300 Kickstarters. If he sees this piece as a threat on that money it's a lot more telling about how successful they are at achieving that claim than anything else. Surely the box of plastic can't be beaten by a book and some pencils?

(it can, it absolutely can, CMON can eat it)
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, san il defanso, BillyBobThwarton

More
18 Jun 2019 13:27 #298556 by ubarose
@ Vysetron

That makes sense. He may have interpreted the references to expensive Kickstarters to be barbs specifically aimed at his games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
18 Jun 2019 15:37 #298573 by Erik Twice

san il defanso wrote: I confess to being baffled why people would be offended by this, though I've seen board game defensiveness over and over again, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Because it's a threat to their worldview.

To many boardgamers this kind of articles feel like an attack on their identity. In their mind, it puts them in a bad spot. If you consider yourself a gaming expert because you own 300$ Kickstarter games, the idea that RPGs are better use of your time makes you look like a fool. It threatens to take your "gaming status" away.

That the article involves actual children is like rubbing salt on the wound. Not only is your gamer social status being challenged, it's being challenged by children. Many boardgamers talk about how RPGs are too complex, or too difficult to enjoy. Accepting that D&D isn't actually difficult or overly complex makes them, on their very own eyes, look like idiots.

And Barnes is not insulting them. He's not calling anyone names or anything. But, in the eyes of this kind of people, he's opening the door to questioning. It's like how people get very upset when someone says they don't drink, or that they are vegan or that they are an atheist. It's not the idea that offends people, it's the possibility of being wrong. After all, if Barnes has fun with his kids, can they really say their way is the best?

I've mentioned this before, but my most controversial articles haven't been my contrarian takes on games. Nobody has fought tooth and nail to argue with me about GTA V or This War of Mine. But some people got very upset when I wrote an analysis of Team Fortress 2's themes. Because game criticism and in-depth analysis of games is a bigger threat than some dude complaining about a game. One is easier to dismiss than the other.

As for Mr Lang, I don't know what he expects. He himself has gone on extensively on record about CMON being a "component-driven company" and how he designes games first and foremost to look great on the table. If he didn't want to wear the shoe, well, he shouldn't have so carefully made it. As much as I might respect Mr Lang as a designer, he's really out of place there.

I must also say that the guy talking about how children are developmentally incapable is scary and reminds me of the teachers in school that made me read books twice because I "couldn't have read that fast".
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
18 Jun 2019 20:11 - 18 Jun 2019 20:43 #298583 by san il defanso
Where are people even seeing this conversation? I didn't see it on Twitter?
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 20:43 by san il defanso. Reason: Punctuation

More
18 Jun 2019 20:12 #298585 by RobertB
Yeah, someone give us a link. The world wonders.

More
18 Jun 2019 22:38 - 18 Jun 2019 22:41 #298593 by ubarose
twitter.com/gengelstein

And actually, most of the comments are positive, interesting and/or thoughtful.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 22:41 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, san il defanso

More
18 Jun 2019 23:57 #298598 by san il defanso
OK, yeah. I feel like these people read a different article than I did. But I'm in much the same place as Barnes here so I'm pretty biased

Anyone not willing to be relentlessly positive about board games all the time will ultimately be rejected as the enemy in this hobby. It's what makes board game Twitter and /r/boardgames so exhausting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
19 Jun 2019 08:33 #298610 by jason10mm
I've noticed an explosion in expensive, detailed, expensive, fancy, expensive, very limited use (and did I mention expensive?) minis and RPG "scenery" which has got to be a reactionary thing to just how much $$$ folks are willing to pay for board games with fancy bits. RPGs have always been about lots of books but even then, a complete series probably still wouldn't touch a modest KS minis game. So now we have "mad scientist lab set" and some sort of $200 pirate ship thing! I remember playing with a buddies box of pewter minis and we used proxies for EVERYTHING. About the only thing you tried to do was get a mini that looks a bit like your character (or, more often, designed a character to resemble a mini we already had). But now you can get minis and scenery sets to go with a one shot adventure!

So I'm not sure the plastic mini market sees RPGs as a threat, more like a direct line to folks who will willingly forego those annoying half-baked games rules just to get to the pretty bits!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds