October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk Nintendo Gamecube

More
10 Mar 2016 17:04 #224128 by Mr. White
I think your line about 'even if nx obly plays legacy titles, it'll still be the best system' sums up my thoughts.

The quality of the Nintendo back catalog is so high, I can't imagine a system being able to compete against one that has that access.

Partially why I started this thread. The wii u gives me access to more top shelf games then I'll ever be able to play through completely, but I'm missing access to a few choice gc titles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2016 17:31 #224130 by bfkiller
I'm surprised I've never seen a decal of Calvin pissing on the Nintendo logo. That would probably actually sell (or at least it would have 10-15 years ago when people seemed to give more of a shit about "console wars").
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
10 Mar 2016 19:21 - 10 Mar 2016 21:51 #224136 by Frohike

Mr. White wrote: Maybe I should get involved in this hacking thing. Frohike, tell me more...

My main launching point was:

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927094

which also led me to this resource:

wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

Homebrew is a channel that enables you to install a variety of unofficial applications and access them through either the Homebrew channel itself or through "launchers" that you can set up on the Wii channel screen to eventually avoid a few extra navigation steps.

To install Homebrew, you'll need to inject a HackMii installation as an exploit.

Some notable drawbacks with HackMii/Homebrew installation on the Wii U at this point:

1. You'll need to scrounge up a Wii game you may not really want and an SD card. Letterbomb is no longer available as an exploit in the Wii mode, so you'll need a game with a buffer overflow vulnerability and a supported hack to install Homebrew. I got LEGO Batman for cheap, but still, kind of annoying. You'll also need a <= 2GB SD (not SDHC) card. They're also cheap, but I haven't found a use for one of them outside of implementing the hack (I use a 32GB SDHC with everything on it once the Homebrew channel is installed). So you'll burn roughly $30 on the hack itself. Add $10 if you want to get a card with more storage for ISOs, ROMs, etc).

Wii (not Wii U) games that can be used for the hack:
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • LEGO Indiana Jones
  • LEGO Batman
  • LEGO Star Wars
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers

2. NAND backups are no longer supported for the newer version of the Wii OS on the WII U. This means no recoverable backup if you install something weird through Homebrew and it bricks the Wii U.

If either of those are deal-breakers, hold off until someone finally hacks the Wii U proper, rather than the Wii mode.

They post updates about progress on this front here:

gbatemp.net/forums/wii-u-hacking-homebrew.248/

In any case, once you get the Homebrew Channel set up, you're golden.

Get Nintendont here:

github.com/FIX94/Nintendont

You really only need the nintendont folder. The other stuff is for controller configs, and general developer noise.

github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/tree/master/nintendont

Installation instructions: github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/blob/master/README.md

You'll also want CleanRip to get any old Gamecube games from disc to ISO (yes, you can acquire ISOs through other less legit channels, obviously)

wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip

You'll get the hang of where to put files eventually. Everything is coded to look for files starting from your card's root, so you can't nest all of the homebrew stuff in a dedicated folder and use the rest of the card for something else. Nintendont looks for all of its game files under the /games/ folder. The ISO itself needs to be named game.iso, so you need a different folder for each game: sd:/games/<yourGameNameHere>/game.iso

If you're interested in emulators and other apps, I recommend installing "Homebrew Browser" first. It handles installation of those apps and their required directories etc. You can do it manually but the browser makes it much easier, as it downloads and installs directly from the Wii. From there you can download the usual emulators: SNES9x, Virtual Boy, FCE Ultra (NES emulator), basically any of the stuff posted by author "Tantric" is foolproof. ROMS go under the /apps/{emulatorname}/roms directory. The emulators do not support the Gamecube controller adapter. You'll need the old waggle stick and I recommend the Classic Controller Pro (Wii), though I think they do support the nunchuck.

Have fun!

Final note: Homebrew on the Wii U loads in 4:3 aspect ratio every time. It hasn't really bothered me with most games, but if you really want 16:9 for whatever reason, there are a couple of workarounds:

gbatemp.net/threads/for-those-of-you-who...n-4-0-update.355446/
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 21:51 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
11 Mar 2016 03:16 - 11 Mar 2016 07:21 #224148 by SuperFlySwatter
I mostly agree with Michael but theres always the corollary of it becoming hard to "sell" a new system then. What's the point of rushing out to get the NX. Its not about the hardware or the graphics, and there are still shitloads of timeless classics you can play forever on a number of old nintendo systems. Then again I've never been one of those gameplayers who cracks games, usually I will get stuck somewhere and either keep at it, or try a different game, but happily within a "collection" of a handful of games. I think I bought 8 games with the WiiU ready for xmas, and loads of those games also have the "forever" play ethos, at least they will keep me and the kids more than happy for many, many years until they're old enough to think they want something else. So I had a hard time getting too excited about the NX, and theres a small part of me thats quite glad to buy into the winding down platform because I also appreciate the fact that there are enough great games, but a limited choice that it feels like I wont get distracted by the quantity conveyor belt. If I'd been smart, like my sister, I would have simply kept hold of all the older consoles and then I wouldn't have needed to even get the WiiU either.

www.cheatsheet.com/technology/5-upcoming...ii-u.html/?a=viewall

Its kind of interesting though that you talk about consumerism and irrelevance of hardware and classic live forever titles but you're already declaring you'll be sat in line waiting for the NX.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 07:21 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
11 Mar 2016 05:46 #224150 by Erik Twice
Personally, at this point there are only two Gamecube games I'm interested into: F-Zero GX and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, which is very expensive. I could see myself enjoying a couple more (Eg. Baten Kaitos) but they are the kind of "good haves" that I never actually play.

Black Barney wrote: And this is coming from a HUGE Gamecube fan. It was my favourite console of that generation even though I knew it was the weakest. Just because we like something doesn't mean we have to be stupid and ignorant about better things.

If I recall correctly, hardware-wise it's actually the most powerful one of its generation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Mar 2016 08:20 #224153 by Black Barney
Erik, are you sure ? Maybe I'm mixing it up with the Wii? I'm trying to remember how RE4 ran on the PS2. I think Xbox was the most powerful of that gen but I can't remember. I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy in those days so I didn't pay attention to hardware. I still don't to some extent. When I used to play call of duty, hardware was really important. Now I play card games on my console...

#old

More
11 Mar 2016 08:37 #224154 by Erik Twice
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's true, or at least as true as an statement "more powerful" can be. There's simply not much to take advantage of its above average power because most games were not designed with it in mind and boundaries were not pushed by Nintendo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Mar 2016 09:47 #224162 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Let's Talk Nintendo Gamecube
I enjoyed the 'cube. I had almost gotten an N64 when it was out, even had it in my hands at the store, but I got cold feet because, among other things, my finances weren't that great at the time.

While the GC was "underpowered" relative to the other consoles available at the time, Rogue Leader still looked really good and played pretty good. Eternal Darkness may have been my favorite and has stuck with me since. SM Sunshine, SB Melee, Mario Golf, MK Double Dash!! were also good iterations. I'll admit that I got kind of bored with Wind Waker at the time, though the cel shading was great to look at; GC was also the first (so far only) time I played Ocarina of Time, which, though not a GC game per se, was a fabulous experience. Viewtiful Joe was ultimately too hard for me, but it was a good look and a good play. I never got into Pikmin, but it's something people liked. Animal Crossing was addicting if shallow and probably was better on handhelds (though I wouldn't know personally; I bought it for one of my kids for Christmas, and she promptly lost it).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds