ubarose
July 31, 2020
591 0
× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk - Slay the Spire

More
01 Jul 2020 12:03 #311568 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Let's Talk - Slay the Spire
Isn't block-as-attack Ironclad one of the easiest builds to ascend with? I did that once and it was so easy I haven't done it again. I purged all the Strikes from my deck and just blocked myself into an immune gargantuan and sifted the deck for my "deal damage equal to your block" cards, obliterating dudes.

For any deckbuilding game, I would recommend that advice above--don't take cards that dilute your deck, and I would add, actively purge cards that dilute your deck. You should be spending those dollars at the store to get rid of bad cards. Vanilla strike is bad. Vanilla block is bad. Any game about drawing cards should have a mechanism to make the deck have better cards AND allow the deck to purge bad cards. This is the issue I have with HOGWART'S BATTLE. You still have 6 Alohomoras in the end game and they are always a bad draw once you are rolling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge, OhBollox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2020 18:26 - 01 Jul 2020 18:26 #311586 by OhBollox
That's how I managed to ascend with Ironclad. Barricade to stop block fade, Entrench to double it, Flame Barrier to hurt enemies whenever they hit the block, and Body Slam to hit the enemy for damage equal to the block. I also had Demon Form, so any damage I did deal out between piling on block was punchy.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 18:26 by OhBollox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Jul 2020 19:42 #311588 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Let's Talk - Slay the Spire
In general, powers are good to take because they don't dilute your deck. This isn't an always thing, but it's usually true.

My Defect decks usually consist of Glacier, Sunder, Streamline, and whatever powers I draw.

More
02 Jul 2020 08:01 #311601 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Let's Talk - Slay the Spire
I'd be careful about saying what are easy builds to ascend with. Yes, if you can identify an archetype early on run with it. Once you get the second pieces of a puzzle that relies on three (especially if you get the requisite artifacts) you can steer down that road. You just might never get the card that lets you do damage based on block, and then you wasted your run.

However I largely agree with your comment. Overall best advice is to remove the strikes. And to build synergy as much as possible. If you start to build synergy, double down on it. That is mandatory at the higher ascension levels.

More
02 Jul 2020 09:48 #311602 by jeb
That’s fair. You can’t win with what’s not there. I just had no trouble and the synergy of defense into offense makes it such a powerhouse for an Ironclad run. On other runs, I kept seeing pieces, but maybe it was an aberration from the norm, I’ve only played a handful of times.

I have tons of generic “card game” advice that applies to SLAY THE SPIRE if anyone is interested. But given the website, I have to believe we’ve all got concepts like card advantage, reach, and threat sort of “baked in” at this point.

One issue I have with the game is how long it takes. Like, more than an hour. Probably because I still need to read cards and potions and things. I keep trying the daily challenge, but have to move on as the day progresses, and it takes me several days!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
12 Jul 2020 14:53 #311950 by jeb
Got wins with Ironclad using Strength and Block-as-Attack builds, a win with the Silent using Poison, and a win with the Defect using Frost Channeling and Claw scaling. Plus Melter here and there for hilarity. So I got all the "keys" and now when I play I see glowing Elites here and there and they keep wanting me to lose keys, whatever that means. Credit to the developers, I want to see more!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds