October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk - Spelunky 2 Spoilers Galore

More
21 Oct 2020 10:58 - 21 Oct 2020 12:02 #315400 by jeb

www.mossmouth.com/
PS4: @jeblucas

I don't care about Spoilers anymore, I've decided. You want to tell me all the secrets, go ahead. The game is amazing, I just want to be better at it. I can get to 2-2 or so about every time I play. That's my floor. I've made it to Olmec the last couple of days a few times apiece. but just missed killing him (slapping the little orbs). So that'll happen soon. I usually go Volcana over Jungle, I'm just more comfortable there. I get the Udjat Eye probably 3/4 times, and used it on the drill. I went down there and saw the red zone (Hell?), but couldn't walk in there for some reason. I was on a dog, maybe that kept me out?
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 12:02 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2020 11:51 #315404 by Gary Sax
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Oct 2020 12:48 #315405 by Disgustipater
Maybe because I’m not playing this obsessively, but I’ve also decided I don’t care about spoilers. From what I’ve heard on the periphery, it seems this game is huge and I will never find it all if I try to do it myself.

I’ve gotten to the Tide Pools once, bit maybe that was via the first shortcut. I’ve been favoring the Jungle, but I should probably switch to the Volcana route.

The few times I’ve gotten to Olmec I peaced out after the 1st stage and didn’t stick around to try to fight him and his bomb launchers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
21 Oct 2020 13:05 #315406 by jeb
What are the Tide Pools? What shortcut? Haha. There is a lot going on. SPELUNKY had a lot going on and this one seems like ten times bigger. I can feel it.

Is there anything to know about the shopkeeper in the little walled-in-box in 1.x, or is this just for an early shotgun?

More
21 Oct 2020 13:32 - 21 Oct 2020 13:36 #315408 by Disgustipater

jeb wrote: What are the Tide Pools?

Tide Pools are one of two World 3 regions.

What shortcut?

By shortcut I mean the ones you build to start at later worlds.

Is there anything to know about the shopkeeper in the little walled-in-box in 1.x, or is this just for an early shotgun?

Those are vaults. There’s a door to the back layer with cash and stuff. The shopkeeper in there will instantly aggro if you bomb the wall, and I believe will make the regular shopkeepers mad as well (at least they did in the previous game. Haven’t tried it in 2 yet)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 13:36 by Disgustipater.

More
21 Oct 2020 14:36 #315411 by hotseatgames
Apparently you can find another door to the vault that shopkeeper is protecting, but I have yet to do it myself.

More
21 Oct 2020 16:20 - 21 Oct 2020 17:52 #315415 by jeb
There's definitely a "behind" for every level, but without the teleporter you can't always just hop from one chunk of it to the next. Maybe there is? But not 1.x at least.

Anyone new to SPELUNKY, here's some intro tips for Levels 1.x:
  • If you teeter at an edge, the item you are holding will drop, handy for setting off traps. You will never fall when teetering.
  • You can steal from the shop, but the shopkeeper gets pissed. You might be forgiven later, the game will tell you. Shopkeepers have weapons, be careful interacting with them. They are also tough compared to other enemies in 1.x.
  • Learn how different objects fly. You can also angle your throws "up" for a different angle.
  • Turkeys double-jump, but don't hit up when jumping or you'll hop off.
  • You can whip stuff to move it a little. Another handy way to drop stuff off cliffs. You can even whip gold to move it like this.
  • The "damsel" (ie, dog/cat/mouse/etc) will give you a heart if you save it. It has hitpoints, it can take some lumps setting off traps or bonking enemies and still live to the end to give you a heart.
  • The whip works front and back. the back-hit is first and shorter.
  • You can walk through spikes, but can't land on them. You can mantle up to spikes and walk through them, but even a little hop will kill you.
  • The turkey can slow-fall (like the cape) onto spikes safely.
  • The "boss" at the end of 1-4 can be utterly dodged by using the doorway/passages on either side of the map (using bombs to access them or letting it do a "pass" to make a path and then another to get out of the way.
  • Giving corpses to Kali (the altar) gains you favor, she gives you cool stuff like money or lives. More corpses means more/better stuff. You can give stunned enemies to her too.
  • At the shop: Compass is great, Jump Shoes are great, Paste makes bombs sticky (great for beating the "boss"), Climbing Gloves are great, Mattock is great , and Bombs, good lord, buy all the Bombs you can.
  • Find the key, use that in one of the little rooms to unlock the chest for the Udjat Eye. This works like Spectacles (letting you see where gems are in the matrix) and has other uses later.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 17:52 by jeb.

More
21 Oct 2020 17:17 #315417 by Disgustipater
Regarding spikes, you can also climb down a rope into them.

More
21 Oct 2020 17:23 #315418 by Ah_Pook
#1 tip: fire + turkeys = lots of hearts

More
21 Oct 2020 17:31 #315419 by Disgustipater
Is there a way to cook turkeys if you don’t have a torch or tiki fire around?

More
21 Oct 2020 17:53 #315420 by jeb
Jetpack maybe? I'll try this out. and edit the answer back in here.

More
21 Oct 2020 18:39 #315422 by Disgustipater
I actually tried that this morning. It does not work.

More
21 Oct 2020 22:27 #315424 by Ah_Pook

Disgustipater wrote: Is there a way to cook turkeys if you don’t have a torch or tiki fire around?

Power pack flaming whip works if you have a power pack. A bomb works also, though you probably want to hit 2-3 at once if you're spending a bomb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Oct 2020 06:08 #315428 by Nodens
I love you guys. Keep on keeping on.

More
22 Oct 2020 08:55 - 22 Oct 2020 10:27 #315431 by hotseatgames
To expand a bit on stealing from the shop, since that is all I have been doing for the last 2 days...

The method with the most consistent success is to stand directly on the shopkeeper and use a rope. This will knock him down for a SPLIT second, and he drops his shotgun. During this time, you can:

1. Kill him: quickly pick up the shotgun and blast him 3 times. This is easier said than done. If grenades are part of his offering, they may explode. If you kill him, all shopkeepers will be angry for the remainder of the game. Depending on how good his gear was, you may not care.

2. Rob him: in the tiny moment that he is stunned from the rope, simply sprint out of the store. You will automatically pick up everything that doesn't need to be equipped. This of course does not get you the shopkeeper's shotgun, but depending on what he was selling, you may not care. If he IS selling something that you must equip, and you can afford it, consider buying it before you rob him.

As long as you don't kill the shopkeeper, you will be forgiven after completing the next level. This may require you to escape at least one rabid shopkeeper.

2a/2b: alternate means of killing or robbing him: If he is selling a freeze ray and you can afford it, simply freeze him with one good blast. Then either swipe everything quickly and escape, or jump on him to kill him.

edit- 2c, as suggested by Gary... if you have access to the Shield, just smash the shopkeeper into the wall, instant death.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2020 10:27 by hotseatgames.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds