October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Delay Notice from Valley Games

More
03 Sep 2008 20:04 #10950 by Citadel
Dogmatix wrote:

Citadel wrote:

They are making good games and have good stuff in the pipeline.....but I still haven't received my generals.

Really? Wow, I really thought that one was finally sorted out. I missed out on the preorder for Hannibal, so I bought a set of the Generals on CSW from someone who had traded the game away before ever receiving them. I've just been too lazy for the judicious glue [or "green stuff" epoxy] application necessary to field 2 of them [one lost a bit of helmet, while, sadly, the other appears to have been time-warped into the French Revolution and didn't fare well on a date with Mme. Guillotine. Maybe I'll save him for the updated version of Napoleonic Wars ;) ]

I wouldn't mind if they were smashed into pieces. I am used to assembling miniatures. The game is perfectly playable without them. It has however made me cautious about placing another preorder with them. I have been thinking about going for Republic of Rome. Well, they've got till November to get my generals to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2008 18:54 #10978 by Bulwyf
Screw Valley Games and their pre-order system. I pre-ordered, no forget that; I pre-paid for Hannibal:RvC and it was a fiasco. Nubs at Essen could walk up and buy it weeks before I got my copy. Hell it was even for sale on Tanga weeks before I got my copy. In short, their pre-order process was a such a mess that I vowed to not do it again. At least until they could prove they could handle pre-orders properly. It sounds like their still working on it.

The frustrating part is that their games are really well done (Hannibal is gorgeous) but their business practices leave much to be desired. There's no one at the helm full time. Everything's done through 3rd party contractors. It's like they need adult supervision. Until they can do it right, they should strongly consider throwing their pre-order system into the shitter.

-Will

More
04 Sep 2008 19:18 #10980 by jeb
I picked up HANNIBAL:RvC... somehow. Jeez? eBay? Whatever. That is one sexy game. I'll be able to get my local grognard to whip me in it one of these weeks. Truly, though, it's like a nice coffee table book--you want people to see that you have something so pretty. From what I hear the game is nice too. This is clearly my concession to form over function.

Contrast this with TITAN. I looooooove the function there. That is an awesome game. I am seriously looking forward to playing this thing. I'm going to order up some assorted Chessex d6's, craft me up a dice tower, and start rocking your face with my rounded corner woven-textured Archangels.

More
05 Sep 2008 04:24 #10987 by Matt Thrower
I've heard several mentions of dice towers on this thread. Resist the urge - dice towers are for the weak. Berating people who are careless enough to knock over game pieces with their dice and arguing over the validity of cocked dice and dice on the floor is all part of the fun on the gaming experience.

I repeat - resist: dice towers are for the weak.

More
05 Sep 2008 09:46 - 05 Sep 2008 09:47 #10992 by jeb
What I need, then, are some sort of silent dice that don't eat table space. I have the dreaded gaming two-fer: kids and a small table. Three-fer: Games with tons of dice. I'm tired of throwing 5-at-a-time for ARKHAM HORROR, and I'm pretty sure TITAN gets about eleven times more fun when you actually toss 17 dice at something.

Some sort of foamcore dice tray, would that satisfy my needs and your manliness reqs?
Last edit: 05 Sep 2008 09:47 by jeb.

More
05 Sep 2008 10:07 - 05 Sep 2008 10:07 #10993 by Stonecutter
jeb wrote:

What I need, then, are some sort of silent dice that don't eat table space. I have the dreaded gaming two-fer: kids and a small table. Three-fer: Games with tons of dice. I'm tired of throwing 5-at-a-time for ARKHAM HORROR, and I'm pretty sure TITAN gets about eleven times more fun when you actually toss 17 dice at something.

Some sort of foamcore dice tray, would that satisfy my needs and your manliness reqs?

I just bought two of these

http://www.amazon.com/Dice-Tray-Inside-Bottom-Framed/dp/B00129G4EO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220623557&sr=8-1

and they'd seem to fit what you're looking for.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2008 10:07 by Stonecutter.

More
05 Sep 2008 18:44 #11010 by Dr. Mabuse
MattDP wrote:

I've heard several mentions of dice towers on this thread. Resist the urge - dice towers are for the weak. Berating people who are careless enough to knock over game pieces with their dice and arguing over the validity of cocked dice and dice on the floor is all part of the fun on the gaming experience.

I repeat - resist: dice towers are for the weak.

Fuck that! You've obviously never played with hard-core, ready to throw down dice sticklers before. Okay so she's 10 but you do not want to get on her bad side.

More
05 Sep 2008 19:57 #11013 by BigLizard
Bah! No towers or trays. Be primitive. Use a box lid like your parents and grandparents did.

More
07 Sep 2008 02:58 #11042 by NeonPeon
I think I considered getting a dice tower when a friend hit another friend in the eye with a hefty 30-sided die. They're pretty hardcore about Formula De.

More
07 Sep 2008 13:09 #11044 by Dogmatix
NeonPeon wrote:

I think I considered getting a dice tower when a friend hit another friend in the eye with a hefty 30-sided die. They're pretty hardcore about Formula De.

Overzealous rolling or "if you count those goddamned spaces one more fucking time, I'll bean you with this d30!" moment?

More
08 Sep 2008 20:11 #11078 by BigLizard
NeonPeon wrote:

That does it! Games with dice are too dangerous. From now on all dice should be those giant fuzzy kind so tragedies like this never happen again.

More
25 Nov 2008 10:13 #14313 by JoelCFC25
TITAN is here.

The local game store had a stack of about 25 copies. I walked in, picked one up, lugged it to the counter, and bought it.

Meanwhile, most people don't have their preordered copies (with almost certainly broken Titan figures) yet.

The game is glorious to behold. Great value at MSRP I think--when you including shipping this heavy ass box, I only paid a few bucks more than the preorder folks.

More
25 Nov 2008 10:31 #14317 by Dr. Mabuse
JoelCFC25 wrote:

TITAN is here.

The local game store had a stack of about 25 copies. I walked in, picked one up, lugged it to the counter, and bought it.

Meanwhile, most people don't have their preordered copies (with almost certainly broken Titan figures) yet.

The game is glorious to behold. Great value at MSRP I think--when you including shipping this heavy ass box, I only paid a few bucks more than the preorder folks.

Yeah well...FUCK YOU!!! (breaks down sobbing)

More
25 Nov 2008 12:21 #14327 by jeb
I got mine last Friday (pre-order, drmabuse, don't cry more). It weighs a fucking TON. The board is so much bigger than I thought. So the battle boards are bigger and the chits are bigger. It's nice. If you have HANNIBAL: RvC from Valley Games, it's the same size box. Each battle board is as large as the box itself, so that gives you an idea of the size.

More
25 Nov 2008 12:31 #14331 by Gary Sax
Damn, that sounds good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds