B
boardgamebarrage
December 06, 2019
115 0
D
DavidNorris
December 06, 2019
198 0
B
BradHB
December 05, 2019
268 0
MB
Michael Barnes
December 05, 2019
771 0
V
Vysetron
December 05, 2019
331 0

Mr. Face Review

Reviews
W
WadeMonnig
December 04, 2019
812 2
T
thegiantbrain
December 03, 2019
806 0
JL
Josh Look
December 03, 2019
715 0
SI
san il defanso
December 02, 2019
549 0
SI
san il defanso
December 02, 2019
1008 0
W
WadeMonnig
November 27, 2019
902 1
MB
Michael Barnes
November 26, 2019
1242 1
T
thegiantbrain
November 26, 2019
957 0
J
Jackwraith
November 25, 2019
1699 0
B
boardgamebarrage
November 22, 2019
613 0
×
Please clear you browser cache (03 Dec 2019)

I've made some upgrades. Please clear your browser cache to make sure you pick up all the changes. Thanks.
Also, if you are still on IE 11, it sucks to be you. Sorry, but that browser is 6 years old. I have done my best to make the site work for you, but the site will look and behave wonky,

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
02 Aug 2016 18:23 #231258 by Jackwraith
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-the-mythos/

Hm. Wonder if they still have to cite Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu license with this one, since it's technically based on their game, right? Maybe not. I couldn't tell if the symbol in the bottom right corner of the cover is the license citation.

Eh. Sounds interesting, but it's an LCG, which means I'm passing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 18:39 #231259 by Shellhead
Looks like it was inspired by the Pathfinder card game that nobody plays anymore. Pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 18:56 #231261 by Colorcrayons
First blush is dissapoint for me.

I was hoping for something more akin to Chaosium's 'Mythos' game.

I'm not a fan of these new co-op type of games. Even if thematically at least they make sense on a certain level.

Ah well. R.I.P. Mythos, Call of Cthulhu CCG and LCG.

I hope this actually turns out decent. I'm definitely the target audience for this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 19:19 #231262 by Jackwraith

Colorcrayons wrote: First blush is dissapoint for me.

Ah well. R.I.P. Mythos, Call of Cthulhu CCG and LCG.


Yeah, that was my first thought, too (which I somehow forgot while posting it; I can't hold a fucking thought in my head for 2 seconds these days...) I LOVED Call of Cthulhu's Elder Gods faction system, but eventually traded all my cards away because I could never find anyone to play. Of course, now that I've sworn off collectible stuff, I guess that would have still made this a pass, but I would've been more tempted by the old style approach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 19:58 #231264 by Wetworks
This seems to share the most dna with Lord of the Rings LCG. Including deck building with different classes (spheres), playing 4 player if you buy 2 core sets, monthly releases of new content. The main difference is this is a campaign style game.

Sounds good for people who love to solo or do 2 player co-op.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 21:43 #231271 by Mr. White
Wow...a surprise to absolutely no one.

I mean, i think as long as FFG has been in existence they've been peddling a Chuthlu card game of some sort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 23:34 #231274 by metalface13
I actually think the mechanics of the game sound interesting, I'm just so tired of the Arkham Horror/Cthulhu Mythos setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CranBerries, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 02:28 - 03 Aug 2016 02:29 #231281 by Grudunza
I'm done with the LOTR LCG, but I do like the idea of a solo playable system like that, so I'll definitely try this out for a while and see how it is. I'm glad that it seems different enough from LOTR to give it a shot.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 02:29 by Grudunza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 10:12 #231296 by san il defanso
Yeah, the fact that this is an LCG means a hard pass for me. If it was something more like WHQ or Death Angel, especially if it played 6+ people, I'd probably get on board.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 10:50 #231299 by Josh Look
Booooooooooring.

NEXT!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 11:27 #231304 by R.P.Kraul
I know that an LCG is a different animal (haven't played one personally), but considering Arkham horror and its eight expansions, Elder Sign and its expansions (especially Gates of Arkham, which makes it more AH-like)--isn't this entire Arkham universe kind of tapped out already?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 11:35 #231305 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
There isn't an Arkham game that plays like LotR LCG (or that eschews dice entirely), so there's that. Neither is there one with an LCG monthly expansion (continual revenue stream) aspect. That they can just re-use (again) all the art assets is gravy, really.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 11:48 #231309 by Shellhead

R.P.Kraul wrote: I know that an LCG is a different animal (haven't played one personally), but considering Arkham horror and its eight expansions, Elder Sign and its expansions (especially Gates of Arkham, which makes it more AH-like)--isn't this entire Arkham universe kind of tapped out already?


Like most boardgame companies, FFG isn't that great at creating interesting new settings. They have done a great job with licensed properties, but those are probably less profitable due to the licensing cost. The Cthulhu Mythos, including Arkham, is one of the best intellectual properties in the public domain. So games based on the Cthulhu Mythos come with a certain level of geek cred without any licensing costs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 11:57 - 03 Aug 2016 12:02 #231310 by Mr. White

Shellhead wrote: Like most boardgame companies, FFG isn't that great at creating interesting new settings.


It seems to really take the combined approach of rpgs, novels, and board/video games to get a setting to stick.

This has long been my biggest bone to pick with FFG. All the resources and talent they dumped into things like the WFRP/40K/Star Wars rpgs they could have funneled into Android and Twilight Imperium rpgs. It seems for a brief period in the early 00s, during the big 3e boom, that's the course FFG was going to take with Midnight, Fireborn and a few others. Had they supported those, Android, TI, etc with novels, boardgames, the works they could be building the next generation of game settings. They had the talent and resources.

In the end they went with the easy dollar of licensed games. I can't fault them for making money, but they don't leave behind much of a legacy if they're just pumping out IP works of others.

My take anyway.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 12:02 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 12:54 #231315 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Mr. White wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Like most boardgame companies, FFG isn't that great at creating interesting new settings.


It seems to really take the combined approach of rpgs, novels, and board/video games to get a setting to stick.

This has long been my biggest bone to pick with FFG. All the resources and talent they dumped into things like the WFRP/40K/Star Wars rpgs they could have funneled into Android and Twilight Imperium rpgs. It seems for a brief period in the early 00s, during the big 3e boom, that's the course FFG was going to take with Midnight, Fireborn and a few others. Had they supported those, Android, TI, etc with novels, boardgames, the works they could be building the next generation of game settings. They had the talent and resources.

In the end they went with the easy dollar of licensed games. I can't fault them for making money, but they don't leave behind much of a legacy if they're just pumping out IP works of others.

My take anyway.

Didn't they shit all over themselves trying to make Terrinoth a thing (Battlelore moved there, right?) Moving DUNE to Mecatol Rex was a disaster. They went down this road and got burned. I think they learned a lesson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds