October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2801 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
17 Apr 2017 16:51 #246694 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Cadians are awesome. They're marines from Alien, starship troopers from Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book) and Kelly's Heroes. I identify way more with them more than with any other faction in 40K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Mantidman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2017 17:23 #246697 by Michael Barnes
Well, my son asked if there were any "regular soldiers" he could play with. So Cadians it is!

Here are some painted Munitorum pictures. May have gone overboard with the grime. I've decided I actually like Seraphim Sepia over Agrax Earthshade for this stuff- it's a little lighter and doesn't muddy the colors up so much. I've also decided that Screaming Skull is a miracle color for drybrushing.

www.flickr.com/photos/54116966@N03/shares/758672

I got an unexpected Allstate Safe Driving Bonus check today...thinking about adding a Goliath truck/Rockgrinder...perfect scenery piece for this...plus it's adorbs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, barrowdown, Vlad

More
17 Apr 2017 17:25 #246698 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
My cadian/Colonial Marines are pulling double duty now in Shadow War.
Because M41A Pulse Rifles/M56 Smart Guns/M240 Incinerators are better than anything GW has.

Someone sold me the eldar half of the Death Masque box set for $75, along with the books and box itself. It's more than I need since I'm not playing actual 40K, but I like building and painting so a few nice models to work on will be welcome even if they have no practical use for me. Plus, I wanted that Eldrad model for use as a farseer (counts as captain) in my Iyanden themed Space Hulk set. Now everything is plastic instead of mixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown, Vlad

More
17 Apr 2017 20:37 #246701 by Vlad
I like your colonial cadians, please post a link when they're painted.
It is unfair to compare anything to Aliens' arsenal though. No fantasy or real weapons are in the same league. Except maybe for Doom's shotgun.

More
17 Apr 2017 20:52 #246702 by Michael Barnes
Genestealer Cult dudes have some bad ass shotguns, a couple of styles. You want some? I think I have four or five of them on sprues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Apr 2017 09:50 #246745 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
The word is the new expanded rulebook will be $40.

More
19 Apr 2017 09:57 #246746 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
And is it supposedly just the original rule book + the additional kill teams that have been released in PDF, or is there more new content?

More
19 Apr 2017 10:00 - 19 Apr 2017 10:00 #246747 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
That's it from what I've heard. It will also include the new Sisters of Battle and Inquisitor Kill Teams, although those will be released free electronically.

I don't think it's worth picking up if you have the boxed set. I may grab a PDF version though depending on price.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2017 10:00 by charlest.

More
19 Apr 2017 20:07 - 20 Apr 2017 03:33 #246779 by Colorcrayons
Here's a new Kill Team for Shadow War:

SWA_GhostWarrior_Killteam_ENG
Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 03:33 by Colorcrayons. Reason: fixed linkage
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, hotseatgames

More
19 Apr 2017 21:04 #246781 by Michael Barnes
I'm not super familiar with Eldar...these are the Wraithguard, right? And I guess a Warlock is a separate purchase? Trying to figure out if this is a "cheap" faction.

Like I need #9...

More
19 Apr 2017 21:19 - 19 Apr 2017 23:14 #246782 by Colorcrayons
Not that anything GW does is cheap, but a box of plastic wraith guard would run you $50.

But considering how long warlocks and wraith guard have been around, you should be able to find the warlocks in metal secondhand for cheap.

[edit]
Thinking about it further, it might be one of the cheapest kill teams. You likely wouldn't want more than one of each close combat option. Wraith cannons are bread and butter, so two of those and one d-scythe for sick burnination. That covers the five in the box and allow some options. If you have any Eldar at all, then any seer could be used as a warlock model, and often are by Eldar players in my experience. So the whole team and spec ops are covered by $75 retail, or much less if you go second hand. I'd say less than $50 would net someone the box and a seer.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2017 23:14 by Colorcrayons.

More
19 Apr 2017 21:54 #246783 by Michael Barnes
Goddamn...T6?! BS/WS both 4? -7 save/D6 damage with a D-Scythe or Wraithcannon? Those things are fearsome! I guess the balance is that their only spec op is another Trooper class Ghost Warriot, they have few skills, and they are extremely expensive (350 for a GW plus one of those big weapons).

More
19 Apr 2017 23:20 - 19 Apr 2017 23:21 #246789 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Tonight I started assembling the Ork Boyz. GW's "instructions" leave a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. I've already fucked up the ork nob because I didn't realize he had a special torso. Oh well, he looks decent anyway. And those bases that come with the box are really too small for these guys.

On a positive note, Gorilla Glue brand super glue is awesome.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2017 23:21 by hotseatgames.

More
20 Apr 2017 00:26 #246791 by Vlad

Michael Barnes wrote: Goddamn...T6?! BS/WS both 4? -7 save/D6 damage with a D-Scythe or Wraithcannon? Those things are fearsome! I guess the balance is that their only spec op is another Trooper class Ghost Warriot, they have few skills, and they are extremely expensive (350 for a GW plus one of those big weapons).

These are powerful dudes, but the scariest teams IMHO are tyranids and harlequins because they don't get pinned with normal weapons. I'm thinking this from the perspective of my cadians and their laughable Strength 3 lasguns.

More
20 Apr 2017 00:36 #246792 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Shadow War: Armageddon

Colorcrayons wrote: Not that anything GW does is cheap, but a box of plastic wraith guard would run you $50.

But considering how long warlocks and wraith guard have been around, you should be able to find the warlocks in metal secondhand for cheap.

[edit]
Thinking about it further, it might be one of the cheapest kill teams. You likely wouldn't want more than one of each close combat option. Wraith cannons are bread and butter, so two of those and one d-scythe for sick burnination. That covers the five in the box and allow some options. If you have any Eldar at all, then any seer could be used as a warlock model, and often are by Eldar players in my experience. So the whole team and spec ops are covered by $75 retail, or much less if you go second hand. I'd say less than $50 would net someone the box and a seer.

Ok, I have to admit to some confusion. I read the pdf file and it says that the Eldar Kill Team is 3-4 models; however, when you search the GW site for Eldar Kill team it returns some box that it says is specifically for Shadow War: Armageddon and it has like 15 models in it and is about $150. Is it just so you can have some options?

Sorry for my ignorance -- the marketing on this is just a bit confusing for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds